Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi.

:new:

Well, let's see where this takes me. I'm a bit (putting it mildly) aprehensive about joining a site like this. I hope there are not any points taken off for spelling. Can anyone fill me in on some of the acronyms that are used here?

Hi.

Hello 2young.

AF is Alcohol Free.

AFF is Alcohol Free Forever.

Mods means moderation.

and WELCOME means you are.

Helen

Comment

Hi.

Hi 2young Welcome to MWO this is actually a pretty neat site. we are here to help each other and too also provide support for each other.
      It has helped me quite a bit to come here and post and read .
      make a list of the acronyms you have questions about, we'll help you decifer them.

Trix
      You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

Hi.

Hi 2young,
        :welcome:
        You are at the right place. There is no need to feel aprehensive the people here are great and will give you lots of support and advice.

Love
        Teardrop.x
        family is everything to me

Comment

Hi.

Hi 2young and :welcome:

You have come to a great place, read and join in. ODAT means one day at a time, there is a newbie thread started each day where people check in regardless of whether they are AF, mods or whatever, feel free to join in.

Rustop

Comment

Hi.

:welcome:
            Hello 2Young,
            welcome to MWO. You have come to a really good place and don't worry, we can't spell either (speak for myself) or we don't care.
            Just read and post. We are all in the same boat in varying degrees.
            Again, welcome.
            Lori
            *Definition of Insanity: doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result* Albert Einstein

Comment

Hi.

:welcome: 2young!

Just jump right in! No reason at all to feel apprehensive! Ask as many questions you want, read a lot, and stay close. This place is wonderful and there are so many good people here that can help you along the way.

ps. don't worry about spelling! There are a lot of people that can't type the greatest, or can't spell but we don't care. We get the jist of what they are saying.

pps. I make my own share of spelling mistakes - trust me! :H

Comment

Hi.

Don't trust these people... they're a bunch of drunks...

Accountable is an excellent speller... see... lying already!!!

Welcome doesn't mean you are here... here means you are here... Welcome means heres the door mat, wipe your feet before you come in... unless you're robbing me, then use the window.

First steps always the biggest!!! Good choice.
                Sunny Out Looks are Contagious!

Comment

Hi.

And "Al" is our nemesis, Alcohol.

Welcome!
                  And you may ask yourself, "What is that beautiful house?" And you may ask yourself, "Where does that highway go?" And you may ask yourself,"Am I right?...Am I wrong?" And you may tell yourself..."MY GOD!...WHAT HAVE I DONE?"

Comment

Hi.

Hi 2young

Like you, I was a little uncomfortable about joining this forum. I post on another (unrelated) one and the bitchiness and back biting has to be seen to be believed. Here it doesn't seem to happen. Everyone is supportive and caring. Everyone knows that we have the same problem and it needs to be dealt with. There are no points awarded or taken off.

If you are English and reserved, like me, it might all seem a bit 'exposing' but it's not and everyone is lovely. Well, maybe they are not in 'real' life, but they are when you are in trouble or questioning or needing help and there are some seriously sensible and wise people posting who have been through it all and are now successfully managing their alcohol consumption. It seems to me to be a sensible place to come for advice and support.

The acronyms don't take too long to get to grips with. As Trixietrack said, make a list if you want to or just lurk for a bit - you'll work it out. There REALLLY isn't any sell for the products. You can buy into the cds, book, supplements and meds ..... or you can just use the forum.... for free. That's why I made the decision to come on board - I hate the hard sell stuff offered by other places.

The bottom line for me is that this is the only method I have found to help me with my problem drinking. I'm not out of the woods by a long way but I have done so much better than I have ever done before.

I'll admit that my typing and spelling are pretty good as it is what I do for a living. But it doesn't make any difference AT ALL to my place here. Nobody gives me points for it - nor do they damn anyone who can't spell or type. Anyone who wants to get a message across just does it.

Hope this helps. Welcome and good luck.

Bessie

Comment

Hi.

Hi 2young

Like you, I was a little uncomfortable about joining this forum. I post on another (unrelated) one and the bitchiness and back biting has to be seen to be believed. Here it doesn't seem to happen. Everyone is supportive and caring. Everyone knows that we have the same problem and it needs to be dealt with. There are no points awarded or taken off.

If you are English and reserved, like me, it might all seem a bit 'exposing' but it's not and everyone is lovely. Well, maybe they are not in 'real' life, but they are when you are in trouble or questioning or needing help and there are some seriously sensible and wise people posting who have been through it all and are now successfully managing their alcohol consumption. It seems to me to be a sensible place to come for advice and support.

The acronyms don't take too long to get to grips with. As Trixietrack said, make a list if you want to or just lurk for a bit - you'll work it out. There REALLLY isn't any sell for the products. You can buy into the cds, book, supplements and meds ..... or you can just use the forum.... for free. That's why I made the decision to come on board - I hate the hard sell stuff offered by other places.

The bottom line for me is that this is the only method I have found to help me with my problem drinking. I'm not out of the woods by a long way but I have done so much better than I have ever done before.

I'll admit that my typing and spelling are pretty good as it is what I do for a living. But it doesn't make any difference AT ALL to my place here. Nobody gives me points for it - nor do they damn anyone who can't spell or type. Anyone who wants to get a message across just does it.

Hope this helps. Welcome and good luck.

Bessie

Comment

Hi.

ooops

Bessie;242910 wrote: But it doesn't make any difference AT ALL to my place here. Nobody gives me points for it - nor do they damn anyone who can't spell or type.
                        I don't think anyone minds if I repeat myself either!! Probably just think I am a muppet!

Bessie!

Comment

Hi.

thanks for the welcome

Still hanging around here and there, just looking at some threads. So, Campral - what's it all about? I went on the web-site and they indicated that "sudden death" is a possible side effect (?!?!?!) Yicks! I suppose it would beat the slow death I am imposing on myself now. It also says that you have to be AF (see, I'm getting the acronymns already!) before you use it and I'm not yet. Scared of the withdrawal and worried about being able to take care of my kiddlie-winks (children). Has anyone tried it while still consuming a small amount of Al?:thanks: :thanks:

Also, I am still learning to navigage this site so am having a bit of a problem finding everyone's responses.

Comment

Hi.

2Young OK

Hi,

This is definitely the place you should be. Nobody here is extremely judgmental, nor do they insist that this is the only way to be sober. I have been mostly sober for the last seven years, but on occasions find myself drinking. I was one of the first people to take Campral, in 1999. Campral, or a-camprosate is extremely non toxic. In fact it can be taken by the handful without any negative side effects. Naltrexone, however, is a slightly more interactive drug, and therefore you need to talk about it more closely with your Dr. Of first choice.

Alcoholism seems to be a syndrome rather than a disease. The behavioural patterns underlying alcoholism are apparently caused by a number of different neuro chemical polymorphisms. The most significant of these seem to be the GABA receptor. Blocking and/or moderating the activity of this receptor can help modulate or eliminate cravings for certain drugs, foods or activities.

The younger you catch the apparent behaviour, and correct it, the better you are. Fight now!

LR
                            Long Road
                            Nobody can make you feel inferior without your permission--
                            Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Hi.

2young

No drug can be taken by the handful without side effects. That is dangerous advice. All medications have side effects and often these side effects are more severe in some people than in others so all drugs must be taken with caution and with sensitivity to possible side effects. And no medication should ever be taken by the handful. Dosages are calculated precisely in number of pills per day, not in handfuls.

Please don't think that MWO is recommending that you can take handfuls of any of the medications or that any of them should be taken capriciously.

You can find much more information about Campral, Topomax, Naltrexone, and other medications in the medications forum of this website. Any medication should be taken carefully and judiciously and with great sensitivity to possible side effects. They should all be taken under medical supervision.
                              Rest in Peace, Bear. We miss you.

Comment

Working...
                              X