Newbies in Need - ODAT - Fri.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Everyone: I just got back from dropping the g-sons off...they spent the night here last night. I have so much more energy for them now that I'm not drinking...not that I'm not tired.

This period between Christmas & New Year is such a good time to begin thinking about goals. I know that I want 2008 to be AF. I'm not as afraid of saying that as I used to be.

I hope all the newest newbies will take heart from some of us older newbies. If I can do it, you can do it too. I was drinking an average of 3 big bottles of wh. wine (I never put a partial bottle in the fridge toward the end) per week...sometimes more. I was blacking out & throwing up regularly. I've now been AF 80 plus days.

I felt such a sense of accomplishment when I hit one full AF week back in August. I had a few slips in Sept. & Oct., but on Oct. 6th, I felt suddenly committed to being sober one day at a time...(ODAT). That's when we created this thread.

I don't know exactly how it works, but MWO works. Camaraderie perhaps. Anyhow, I couldn't be more grateful.

Mary
    Wisdom, Courage, Strength
    October 3, 2012

Mary,

My grandsons are coming over to "hang out" with me today. I am looking forward to it.

Then granddaughter is coming over to spend a couple of nights.

Really looking forward to this and being sober with them.

Hope all to come have a wonderful day and meet whatever your goals are AF/Mods.

Love,
    Cindi
    AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Hi Mary and Cindi and all to follow,

I too am committed to an AF day today. It has been a rough December for me and I know that I will drink on NYE but I am committed to the 30 days in January AF that cowgal has started. I am really looking forward to a completely AF month and feeling good. Since joining MWO in November I have had 21 AF days (not in succession but still) - and I have only drank to excess (blackout/drunk) 5 times. This for me is a huge accomplishment. Although I have still struggled and know that I will continue to struggle, I am so thankful for MWO and all it has to offer.

So for me - today I will not drink. Tomorrow? I'll deal with tomorrow!

Love you all, have a great day guys.
      Uni
      Every day is a day to start over and remember that I am powerless over my addiction. I will no longer give the BEAST any power over me - he can go straight to hell.
      :h

Comment

Thank-god for Mary. I look forward to your words everyday.

My husband had his B-day party last night.......too much work. I'm just one person putting out food for 15 people. It went well. I managed to moderate, but now I'm so anxious this morning that I;m wondering if I actually did moderate! I feel fine, I'm not hungover but incredibly anxious. Today is definately AF.

Comment

Finally: Thank you for your kind words. I must say that anxiety was one of my major triggers, so try to relax. You were probably fine last night, so put it behind you & enjoy the day. You're doing great! Mary
          October 3, 2012

Comment

hi everyone. I've been 8 days now, but i have a relative coming home for the new year, and I know that I'll have a drink with her. She's bringing a 'special' bottle of wine with her, so that we can try it together. I have to get my head around this. Then, we have new year's eve! Retteacher, you're doing so well. I've also been reading Sartori on moderating, and obsessing. there are so many things that are common to us drinkers. Looking forward to reading more. Thanks everyone, and the best of luck Tylyr

Comment

tylyr,

A special bottle of wine. Eeek.

Unfortunately, you truly know that splitting that bottle two ways is simply not going to be enough. Please get your mind around that.

It sucks. At one time splitting that bottle with a dear one would have been perfect. Today, if you are anything like me, it is just a "tickler" and only leads down a path of more destruction...

If not, good on you and I am JEALOUS!!

Otherwise, reconsider. It is ONLY a bottle of wine. Your loved one can open it and drink as much as she wants. You can still spend time with them and enjoy their company.

I know. MUCH easier said than done. Been there, done that.

Either way. I wish the best for you.

Love,
              Cindi
              AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Tylyr: I second everything Cindi said. I never drank wine for the taste anyway. It was always for the buzz, which I chased into my 5, 6, 7, etc. glasses (big glasses...sometimes coffee mugs). I also know what Satori says about moderating & second that too. It's way too much mental gymnastics for me to decide when & how many & how to space them & what to open next, etc. etc. You can always plead a headache or something coming on if you don't want to completely level w/her. Anyhow, you'll know what to do when the time comes. Mary
                October 3, 2012

Comment

Mary,

You are so special!! Thank you for being here.

You help all of us and I can only hope we help you, too.

Love you,
                  Cindi
                  AF April 9, 2016

Comment

I am on day 3 af I won't drink today. Spent the morning sliding with the kiddies.Then tried to fiix a light on my car which was frustration city and is still broken. i just gave up. i drank enough over the last month or so to inebriate a large mammal for life. I know I can't moderate but get fooled when i do have 1 glass and think i can moderate but the days build up and then i am drinking like a crazy fool. So sober today and feeling ok. Thanks all. rudemama

Comment

Good for you Rudemama! Be proud!
                      Every day is a day to start over and remember that I am powerless over my addiction. I will no longer give the BEAST any power over me - he can go straight to hell.
                      :h

Comment

Hi Mary, Cindi and everyone else, can a really oldie join the newbies for my upcoming AF stint in January???

BB xx
                        sigpicXXX

Comment

Betty: You were the very first person who answered my first post. Of course, you'll join the newbies in need. I'll look forward to seeing your posts. Love, Mary
                          October 3, 2012

Comment

Betty,

You are more than welcome. We would be GRATEFUL for you to be here.

Love you,
                            Cindi
                            AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Thankyou, I will be here .........:l
                              sigpicXXX

Comment

Working...
                              X