• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies in Need - ODAT - Fri.

Betty
    I would be humbled to have you here with me. rudemama

Comment

My first post, and I'd like to thank you for giving me some optimism. My story is very similar, as it seems across the board here. I was a successful MM member years ago prior to Audrey Kishline's own demise.

I quit smoking using ALA's Freedom from Smoking online program, and was actually a moderator there for almost 2 years. Seems that since I quit smoking, my drinking has increased to the point where I "despise myself".

I ordered the starter kit today, downloaded the pdf book and am going to try the Topamine. Seems whenever I try to do this "myself" I may be successful short term, but fall back on old ways too easily.

Message boards and the online community bonds I formed when I quit smoking were critical to my success. While I joined Rational Recovery for a short period of time, their message boards were not very active. Also, S.M.A.R.T. just didn't work for me.

I know I need to do this BY myself FOR myself, but it always helps to have a place to come to online where everyone understands.

I'm sure I "introduced" myself in the wrong place, but I found this thread to be encouraging as I plan out my attack following the holidays. Not a new year's resolution, a life resolution to change.
      Be of good cheer. Do not think of today's failures, but of the success that may come tomorrow. You have set yourselves a difficult task, but you will succeed if you persevere; and you will find joy in overcoming obstacles (Helen Keller)

Comment

A New Year....what a perfect time to to focus on a new you, whether it be abs or mods. We cannot go back and redo all the should of's, would of's, could of's.....but it would be so nice to start the year of with a plan or goal in mind, and work toward that goal. There may be bumps, but it can be done. I was drinking hard liquor nightly...not for the taste, but the buzz for the past 25 years straight from the bottle, having no idea how much I was actually consuming. Hit the bed, passed out and paid dearly for it every morning. It got to the point where I was unable to function physically or mentally till at least mid morning, yet constantly thinking about how many hours until my next drink. I did inpatient, outpatient, detox, counseling. In retrospect I see that I just wanted to get "clean" and tell myself that I could moderate and things would be different. I had to make a decision I either wanted to drink and die or really make the committment to an AF lifestyle ODAT. It took me a few months after joining MWO (I was so scared to think about my life without alcohol), but by reading the posts, and having the support of all of you here, I decided to take the plunge. Yes, the first week was difficult but it has been uphill for me since. I am nearing the 60 day mark. I think will always have the occasional thoughts of booze, but I have really come to believe it will accomplish nothing for me by taking that first sip. It can be done!!!...So lets make 2008 the year for those of you ready to committ to this journey..we can do it together
        sobriety date 11-04-07

Comment

Working...
        X