How much is too much?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much is too much?

Hi, just want to see if what an average night is too much.
    This what I consume
    About 5 500ml cans of stella
    1 or 2 cans of strongbow
    And ... at the moment 3 or four double vodka and dr peppers.
    My wife is
    6 or 7 cans of strongbow and about
    the same amount of vodkas and dr peppers.
    Thats being honest and some nights its not quite that much but close.
    Getting fed up of it not having an affect, hell im sat here typing on new years eve with drink(proper)number 3.
    Many thanks
    Paul
    :new: :welcome:
    :new:

How much is too much?

hazel180;247812 wrote: Hi, just want to see if what an average night is too much.
    This what I consume
    About 5 500ml cans of stella
    1 or 2 cans of strongbow
    And ... at the moment 3 or four double vodka and dr peppers.
    My wife is
    6 or 7 cans of strongbow and about
    the same amount of vodkas and dr peppers.
    Thats being honest and some nights its not quite that much but close.
    Getting fed up of it not having an affect, hell im sat here typing on new years eve with drink(proper)number 3.
    Many thanks
    Paul
    :new: :welcome:
    Welcome to the board, Paul. Sorry to hear of your struggle. You'll find lots of help here.

Just stay home tonight since you're already drinking.

That does sound like a lot of alchi, though. But guess what? Tomorrow is not only a new day but a new YEAR!

Work with many of us who plan to turn this all around. I am very optimistic even with everything that has been happening... all of which is my fault.

Enjoy your last drinks of the year and hopefully with the help and support of this community, your last drink for life is right around the corner.

That's my hope and prayer for myself tonight and I hope for you too... soon.

Comment

How much is too much?

Hi, now on drink number 4 but still being sensible, if you know what I mean..
      Have tried getting out of it, cant sleep, this makes it easy to sleep.
      My partner/wife drinks more than me but...........

What can I do? We have enough drink to last till tomorrow night, xmas shopping im afraid!!
      I find sex is impossible without a drink too, not impossible but 'unthinkable'. A drink just limbers us both up. I know none of you are therapists.....but then you never know!!
      Feel like drink number 5, this site really makes things easy to talk about.
      Paul
      :new:

Comment

How much is too much?

Paul

Jan 1 starts at midnight - when the ball drops or whatever. That's when you and wife can celebrate the new year by getting rid of all the booze in the house and start the new year right. If it's there, you're gonna drink it, let's be honest.

Then you are going to get some sleep, drink lots and lots of water before bed and tomorrow you will start day one. You will drink lots of water, take your supplements, listen to the cd's, spend lots of time reading on the site, posting here whenever you have difficulty or whenever you feel like it, go on chat if you need to, stay busy if possibly. If you are hung over, just drink water and ride it out without drinking. Keep in touch with us every day and take this seriously. The first few days are the hardest.

I know I'm being a little tough here. You're talking the talk. Tomorrow you walk the walk.

Good luck and welcome to MWO. We are by your side every single step of the way. Please keep in touch with us and let us help you whenever you need anything.

And oh yes, Happy New Year. It will be a great new year for you and your wife.

:l
        Rest in Peace, Bear. We miss you.

Comment

How much is too much?

Paul, those words of Mags are pearls given. Cherish them. I've only been a member 5 days, but they have been 5 days AF. My worst day was day 3 when I logged on with strong cravings and a post addressed directly to me brought tears to my eyes. I had my Non-alcohol beer and I have been doing fine. By the way, I am quiting after 40-60 beers each week for over 3 yrs. No kidding. Soooo embarassing to admit, but it's the truth.

And on another note, I have only heard of people's sex lives improving after giving up alcohol. Give it a try. Both of you. You never know until you both try. Not that this should be the only reason to cut out the booze, but since you mentioned it, I just thought you could both keep that mind.

Please take care of yourselves. And stay in touch with everyone here. I have tried to cut back so many times, and this site has been the only thing in all these years that has made me feel good about myself enough to care.

Mags - :goodjob:

I wish you all a healthy and happy 2008!
          Alcohol is simply the device between success and failure.

Comment

How much is too much?

on trouble sleeping

For the past couple years, I've been killing off a 1.75l bottle of rum every 4 days. When I started cracking the bottle before 3 pm, due to boredom, I figured enough was enough. When I emptied the bottle last night, I decided that's it, I'm done.

For those sober nights over the past several years, there were moments of panic when I started thinking of going to bed. Benedryl left me groggy the next morning, herbal teas made me get up to hit the bathroom, and then I wouldn't fall back asleep.

Yesterday I pulled the bicycle out for an hour; I repeated it today when I started the boredom cravings. (Yes, today my seat was a tad sore!). Even better, I invested in a hot tub last January. I've found that soaking for 15 minutes before bed, and drip drying on the deck really help me sleep well.

2 notes: my tee-totalling brother and his wife also use a hot tub before bed, to help fall asleep. And I've heard this works because they allow your body temp to fall, which encourages sleep.

Hope it helps,

Comment

How much is too much?

Hi there Hazel. I have just been on the Drink Awareness course for drivers following losing my licence last year. Very educational especially on the units side of things.

Ok so, 500ml can of Stella = 2.6 units
              440ml can Strongbow = 2.3 units
              Double Vodka = 2 units (this assumes you are pouring a 'true' double - home measures are often larger)

So you are having between 21 and 24 units every night. The recommended safe level for a whole week.

Assuming you start around 6pm and stop around midnight I really hope you are not driving the next morning. You possibly will be over the limit until around 11am the next day. That is based on the lower intake too!

Comment

How much is too much?

How have you been over christmas Hazel?

Comment

How much is too much?

hello hazel and spouse!
                  For me any alcohol is too much. Medically speaking one drink for women and two for men is the limit for a day.
                  How much is too much for any particular person is how much negatively impacts your life, physically, or pshycologically.
                  For me...when I drink I find it easier to ignore the important things in life...my self, my family, my household, my responsibilities, my problems, my perceived problems, pretty much everything. So, though a Doctor would likely tell you you are drinking too much, from your descroption or interaction with your spouse "needing" the addition of alcohol, maybe you should look at the why of that...and then maybe see if you can use less????
                  Good luck, and Happy New Year to you both.
                  I am only on day 2 AF (alcohol free) so I can only give advice from the side of the problem drinker who needs to abstain, but I know I love reading everyones experiences here, so thought I'd add my own, and my best wishes to you in this New Year!
                  Striving to live life without ALCOHOL

Comment

Working...
                  X