Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies in need - ODAT

Hi all

My turn to start today's thread! Jump on and tell us all how you are getting on. So much positive thought and hopefulness and if that isn't how you feel yet, it will be! I am have just started looking forward to my AF days - they are getting easier and I achieve so much more without Al dogging my evenings. One of the keys has been NOT to beat myself up if I slip but to 'get back on my horse' and keep going. And to recognise my triggers and temptation points and PLAN ahead to avoid them (not always possible but can usually be done).

I see that Bd2 bumped Chief's first post. That is certainly an inspiration. He started back in April and is now one of the mainstays of this board. An inspiration and help to others and successfully AF.

Have a great day.

Bessie xx

Newbies in need - ODAT

Just keep at it Bessie - you will soon be looking forward more and more to these AF days/weeks/months stretching ahead of you, filled with opportunities and experiences you totally ignore / miss out on while drinking.
    I now get up in the mornings actually looking forward to the day ahead - instead of hoping that I can survive it!

I LOVE being AF.
    I seriously am happier now than I have been in many many years.
    I have also realised lately that my levels of stress at work / in general seem much lower - I seem to be just "sailing thru'" everything life throws at me - and coming through it all smiling!

It just keeps getting better and better!

OH - and although she hasn't actually said anything about it, SWMBO had HER last drink on New Years Eve - she usually has a glass of wine (or sometimes two if she is really living life in the fast lane!) most evenings.

Maybe my AF life is rubbing off on her too!

take care

Love

Satori

xxx
    "Though there are many paths at the foot of the mountain - all those who reach the top see the same moon - as any fule kno"

Comment

Newbies in need - ODAT

Hi Bessie and everyone to come

I too am enjoying my AF time, on Day 9. Like you Bessie, am not beating myself up and having higher and higher expectations of myself. I did that in the beginning. Wanted 30 days, then 60, then 90 and was devastated when I slipped. This one day at a time thread has been wonderful, I just concentrate on getting through each day AF, the future will take care of itself.

Have a great Wednesday everyone.

Rustop

Comment

Newbies in need - ODAT

Morning all. Rustop, Bessie and Satori, thanks so much for starting today's thread with such upbeat, positive thoughts. :thanks:

I, too, have learned since starting here, that negative thoughts about myself, have no place in my life.

Satori, I appreciate your postings, your happiness is infectious!

My best to all ODATers today!

Comment

Newbies in need - ODAT

It's true, a slip doesn't mean starting over from scratch, not at all! I agree with you Rustop on not beating myself up about it but getting back right away to AF. I do feel more determined than I have ever been. Satori, I know what you mean about work, if I was able to muddle through in a hazy hungover sleep deprived state, AF should be a breeze! Have a great day all here and all to come, ODAT. :h Suz
          The more we appreciate life, the more life appreciates and bestows us with more goodness.

Comment

Newbies in need - ODAT

Hello, i'm here though barely awake. I have a busy work day. having some coffee, slept well lots of dreams though.....I'll try not to beat myself up but sonetimes I feel I need a little whipping to get on the right track....that's just me peace and love rudemama

Comment

Newbies in need - ODAT

Hello everyone.

Doing it ODAT and enjoying it.

Very busy with work right now and don't have a lot of time to check out MWO but know I am thinking of all of you.

Have a wonderful day!!

Love,
              Cindi
              AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Newbies in need - ODAT

Morning all
                A lot of little stressors are adding up for me today..feeling a bit overwhelmed....The thoughts of cuddling up on the couch with a nice warm blanket, a good movie and a couple of drinks to give me that buzz are floating around in my head, . Just thoughts.....have to go to work and I know the drink will accomplish nothing...stuff is going to be there sober or not....I will just get out of the house, focus on my work customer, and wait for these feelings to pass.....
                sobriety date 11-04-07

Comment

Newbies in need - ODAT

Charlee I'm sorry you're having a rough day - I had a rough one yesterday but made it through.

Day 4 here now and feeling okay - still not sure what the heck is up in my BF situation???? But I am feeling better about myself since I'm clearer in the head.

Proud to because today is the 9th of Jan and so far this month I have had 7 AF days - slipped last weekend but determined to get through this one. I have my daughter so should be easy - we will keep busy.

Huge wind storm here last night - felt like a tornado! Power was out for hours! But I finally got about 4-5 hours of sleep straight so feeling refreshed.

K - off to work, have a great day everyone!

Love and Huges,
                  Uni
                  Every day is a day to start over and remember that I am powerless over my addiction. I will no longer give the BEAST any power over me - he can go straight to hell.
                  :h

Comment

Newbies in need - ODAT

Good Morning Everyone :danthin:

Thanks for starting today's thread Bessie. Yes, I saw the post from Cindi about Chief this morning. I loved it !
                    Satori, always love hearing from you. I totally agree with you, when I am AF and feeling good, I can so much handle anything that is thrown at me at work. Piece of cake :H
                    Rustop, so glad you are doing good and staying AF this January.
                    Suki, Suzanna, rudemama, and Cindi, thanks for your posts this morning...enjoyed reading all of them.
                    This week is so much easier than last week. Maybe I just have my "mind programmed" to do the 30 days (actually, there are 31 days in January.....so I'm going for that #). But I truly know besides just me wanting it, all the support on this site and having some great company right along side me on this journey is definitley getting me to where I want to be. So thank you each and everyone of you. I'm loving January !
                    Miss October :blinkylove:

Comment

Newbies in need - ODAT

Thank you all

for your posts this morning. Last nite was a very difficult one at our house and full of temptation for me to drink but I didn't and I feel GREAT this morning. Victory is mine lol . Life can be cruel and hurtful but soooo much easier to deal with AF. I'm so happy you all are here and all so sweet :h . Have a great day everyone!

:hug:

Comment

Newbies in need - ODAT

Hi Everyone: This thread is so positive & encouraging. It took a few days, but I just worked through a fairly significant depression sober. I was able to strategize & decide what I needed to do in order to make the changes I needed to make. Depressions were one of the reasons I drank. I didn't want to feel bad, so I drank in order not to feel anything. Of course that just puts off the inevitable. I really feel that each little sober success adds to our store of healthy living stategies. Thanks everyone. Mary
                        Wisdom, Courage, Strength
                        October 3, 2012

Comment

Newbies in need - ODAT

My first post of 2008. I had decided that I would not post until I had a full week without alcohol, and yesterday was it! Here's my "triumph over trigger" story, and you bet I'm proud and braggin'! Monday night was our French meeting---only 7 of us, all fairly fluent, get together once weekly and chat in French, maybe have an informal "lesson" on some cultural or literary topic, but mostly *parlons francais et buvons lbeaucoup de VIN.* One of our members really knows her fine wines, and we all chip in and she orders the "good stuff" for us to sample. Of course, we also have plenty of sauvignon blanc and Bordeaux of lesser lineage to SWILL freely. I must say, those *nuits francais* used to be guaranteed blackout times for me, because of course I'd have already had a few at home before arriving!

Well! I did not have EVEN ONE SIP Monday night. I was really apprehensive about the others in the small group looking at me oddly, but do you know? I filled my glass (over and over) with water, and nobody even noticed! Or if they did, they didn't care. I suppose they figured it left more for them! And I must say, I was amazed to watch the others drink so much.

Best of all, I did NOT sit there longing jealously as I watched them empty several bottles. As the evening went on, there were long periods when I forgot to even think about it. This made me SO joyful and relieved, because I had decided that if it was just too painful and tempting, I'd have to drop out of the group. And that would really have broken my heart, as it's such a wonderful way to keep up a second language and good friendships.

Best of all? For the first time in many years, I remember every conversation, every topic, and am 100% CERTAIN that I did not say anything loopy, slurry, or just plain stupid.

Hurray for a sober 2008, everyone on this thread! Let's keep it up.
                          Jane Jane

Comment

Newbies in need - ODAT

JaneJane: What a great story of your French group! Something similar happened on New Year's Eve. I wanted to be AF & drank soda/water. Nobody said anything. I too was amazed at how much people drank...(of course, I could have kept up & then some). As they grew fuzzier, I was perfectly clear. Nice feeling for a change. Mary
                            Wisdom, Courage, Strength
                            October 3, 2012

Comment

Newbies in need - ODAT

hopeful

Just like my "mood of the day" this is a hopeful thread today, very encouraging!!

I am working on day 3 today. Say my knee doc this AM, free of the brace and walker, and just got my "licence back", so will be able help out hubby now w/ picking up the kids etc!

Just hope that doesn't make me feel I have a "licence to drink" Hopefully not, it has been avery stressfull week back at work though, which justifies my worries.........

Thanks everyone for the encouraging posts, it is good to see sooooooo many of us here today.

Love and hugs all around!!:h :l

MA
                              :rays:My happiness is my greatest gift to others:rays:eace:

Comment

Working...
                              X