Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does Low-Carb Help?

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone had come acrossed this in their research. I started doing the low-carb diet thing on Dec. 27 in "hopes" of losing some weight.

Although I feel my resolve to be a non-drinker is the strongest it has ever been, I can't help but notice that I haven't been getting that "jump out of your skin paniced feeling" this time. I am just wondering if it is tied to low-carb and the insulin thing.

I know some have said that eating a sweet can help relieve in immediate craving, but wondering if eating low-carb can help reduce cravings over all.

-GC
    "If you want to change, then change." -Blonde Chic from LOST

Does Low-Carb Help?

Gotta,

Meditation Mama posted a diary of the first few weeks on Atkins in the Focus on Fitness section - you might find your answer there

Love

Satori

xxx
    "Though there are many paths at the foot of the mountain - all those who reach the top see the same moon - as any fule kno"

Comment

Does Low-Carb Help?

Hi Gotta Change!

Yes, Low-Carb eating helps loads! I am a big fan of it.. I really believe that limiting sugars, especially in the beginning, realy helps cravings. I continue to eat that way and have for a long time. I do not eat the way I do on the Induction Atkins, as that is for weight-loss, but I eat mostly lean meats and veggies, limit white carbs (pasta, breads, sugars), and fruit only once a day, and then eat only citrus. I have added whole-grains in, but limit that to a few times a week. I do take a very good fiber in the evenings to make sure my insides are healthy. The main thing is making sure you drink tons of water and eat lots of good fresh organic veggies!

You can PM me if you have have any more questions, or reference two good sites, Atkins - Atkins, or www.southbeachdiet.com. South Beach is also very good, they add a few more grains, but still limit sugars.

Namaste,

MM
      Face your deficiencies and acknowledge them, but do not let them master you. Let them teach you patience, sweetness, insight.

Comment

Does Low-Carb Help?

probably not the best thing given how ultra high protein diets pummel your kidneys and drinking probably wasn't too nice to them

Comment

Does Low-Carb Help?

Hi GottaChange, I have found that eliminating as much sugar in your diet is good for everything. Check out Dr. Bob DeMaria's website for some great advice. He is into using a diet that keeps your liver functioning properly....I just started using his advice and already feel better. My New Years resolution was to be as healthy as possible and turned on a tv program that I have never watched before and he was the guest. He stresses the importance of organic foods, carrots, apples ,beets and he has a whole list of do's and don'ts that make alot of sence, this is the most interesting way of dieting that I have seen in a long time....its working for me. I don't have any desire to drink. It may be because of his explanation of how important a part our livers have to do with every function of our bodies. He also explains how our hormones are effected when our liver isn't working properly and the breast cancer and estrogen relationship...also prostate cancer in men. He has a book but you can get tons of information on his website and Utube....hope this helps you .....Buffy

Comment

Does Low-Carb Help?

Good Morning Gotta Change,

Actually, I just read that last night that by eliminating white carbs, it does help with alcohol cravings. So that's another thing I'm giving up as of this morning. I had my breakfast white carbless. Good luck on your low-carb alcohol free diet......I like the sound of that.

Mediatation Mama & Buffy, thanks for the wealth of information !
            Miss October :blinkylove:

Comment

Does Low-Carb Help?

yes a low carb diet is very helpful in slowing down cravings, after all alcohol is sugar.
              but like James says. high protein diets can be hard on internal organs, that is why it is so important to keep hydrated. (2 litres a day minimum).
              I had incredile mood swings and changed my diet, they are mostly gone. no PMS either.

good luck
              You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

Does Low-Carb Help?

Low-carb is great on many fronts, but here's an unexpected problem I encountered back in the summer when I did my 51 AF days (before the Fall, literally and figuratively! ) When drinking no wine, I found that I really began to enjoy sweets. Before, I NEVER (I do mean never) ate desserts, or snacked on anything sugary, because of course these things tasted bad with wine. Now that I'm back to AF (8 days today) the same problem is returning. I absolutely REFUSE to gain weight (I'm one of those who eats little and gets thinner when drinking) so this is really bothering me. I know, I know, just need to have iron will-power, but it is an irritant.

As if that's not bad enough...our supper/gourmet club's 2008 theme is "Italy" and next week the hosts are making fresh pasta and home-baked ciabatta! I'm wondering whether we should even go---if I can have no wine, no white carbs, no tiramisu'---what am I to do, carry a baggie of carrot sticks?
                Jane Jane

Comment

Does Low-Carb Help?

Hi Jane, In my Humble opinion....I would say go to your Italy party, but use more sauce than pasta, eat the cheeses, have a few bites of everything and not worry about it too much. We have parties like that at our club and some people even bring their own non-alc wine or beer with them. I am sure they will have lots of salads to eat too. I think that while we are trying to quit or even cut down on drinking, and then adding dieting to the mix as well it could get overwhelming and you might be tempted to throw in the towel. Prepare ahead of time...even a few days ahead to watch what you are eating and use a log book to calculate your calorie intake. Then a treat here and there won't make any difference to your diet...

Comment

Working...
                  X