What I look forward to about not drinking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is a thread on here with lists of things we hate about drinking. I related to so many and was surprised at how many similarities there were. I copied and pasted some into a document yesterday and put copies of that list in all my favorite hiding places for bottles and in my bathroom as a reminder to myself.

But I tried to think about things I look forward to.

Remembering everything
    Sleeping soundly
    Being alert in the evening
    Being relaxed when my husband gets home (not scrambling to hide a bottle or glass or chew something to try to mask the smells on my breath when i hear the garage door)
    Not having to re-read something I read the night before because I don't remember it
    Having energy to run around in the yard with my daughter
    Losing weight

There are hundreds more but I want to find some things to look forward to and try to move from shame for all the things I've done to pride in the things I have overcome.
    Member since January 2008
    AF since August 25, 2008

Tired,
    Those all sound GREAT! Nice things to look forward to! Here are a couple of mine, in no particualr order:
    Being able to enjoy seeing my family and friends...without a glass in my hand.
    Going out to eat without thinking aboout what wine list they have.
    Spending the money I used to spend on AL on fun stuff!
    Not having to worry about getting a DUI (in Utah, you go directly to jail)
    Being able to engage in some of my old hobbies and fun pasttimes!
    BTW, I am now into day 3. Longest time in forever AF.
    BHOG
    War isn't working. Let's try Peace!

Comment

I read that thread once, Tired.. where is that?? Do you have it?? I would love to read it again!
      Face your deficiencies and acknowledge them, but do not let them master you. Let them teach you patience, sweetness, insight.

Comment

Great thread!
        My memory.

I've always had a slight stutter. But over the last couple of years, I would have this blanket of fog over my word bank.... so, when I'd discuss something at work, I'd struggle for the "real" worlds. I'd think in my mind, "the tolerance is 2/32", but my pie hole would say, "the tolerance is 2 mm".... the minute it was out, I'd correct myself, but it was happening all of the time!

It got to the point that I'd stop engaging in the conversation, especially if the topic was controversial.... because I could NOT articulate what was trapped in my mind. Very frustrating! :nutso:

(BTW, it wasn't until I stopped drinking that I saw the connection.... I was chalking this up to "old age" for the last couple of years, and I'm only 43!)

Patty
        Tampa, FL

Comment

I think this will go to the What I hate list:

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...ing-16729.html

both sides are important I think - to remember what what hate about it and to celebrate the things we'll have back.
          AF since August 25, 2008

Comment

That's a fantastic list, and I agree with all of that (I don't have a husband/child, but if I did it would be on my list too).

I'll say that beating the depression, which leads to anger and rage and thoughts of suicide, is the best reason for me to stop drinking.

You would think I would have figured that out by now, but I was too busy mixing up VMs to notice

Comment

ToH, the euphoria of all those good things you listed is SO worth the struggle. And BHOG, it's good to have you here.

Someone here, a few weeks ago, did the math on money saved by not spending $15 per day on a big bottle of white wine (coincidentally, exactly my outlay/intake!) I think the annual amount came to around $5,000! My plan is to continue getting "cash back" at the supermarket, but instead of spending it at the wine shop, I'll stash it in a tin in my closet (former hiding place for my pinot grigio!) and at the end of 2008, I'll take it to the Animal Rescue League. The homeless animals need food and vetting a lot more than I need WINE!

So that's what I'm looking forward to.
              Jane Jane

Comment

bald headed old guy;253504 wrote: Tired,
                Those all sound GREAT! Nice things to look forward to! Here are a couple of mine, in no particualr order:
                Being able to enjoy seeing my family and friends...without a glass in my hand.
                Going out to eat without thinking aboout what wine list they have.
                Spending the money I used to spend on AL on fun stuff!
                Not having to worry about getting a DUI (in Utah, you go directly to jail)
                Being able to engage in some of my old hobbies and fun pasttimes!
                BTW, I am now into day 3. Longest time in forever AF.
                BHOG
                God bless you on Day 3... that's an accomplishment. I've heard that getting through 5-7 days you almost feel "cured". Let us know how it goes.

I agree with your list too. It would be nice to go to family functions and enjoy the day without being secretly "smashed".

Comment

Not Happy Hour-Happy Life;253514 wrote: Great thread!
                  My memory.

I've always had a slight stutter. But over the last couple of years, I would have this blanket of fog over my word bank.... so, when I'd discuss something at work, I'd struggle for the "real" worlds. I'd think in my mind, "the tolerance is 2/32", but my pie hole would say, "the tolerance is 2 mm".... the minute it was out, I'd correct myself, but it was happening all of the time!

It got to the point that I'd stop engaging in the conversation, especially if the topic was controversial.... because I could NOT articulate what was trapped in my mind. Very frustrating! :nutso:
                  (BTW, it wasn't until I stopped drinking that I saw the connection.... I was chalking this up to "old age" for the last couple of years, and I'm only 43!)
                  That started happening to me a lot, too... I am a very eloquent speaker but as the alcoholism increased, my vocabulary and speech decreased... that's when I realized (about a year ago) that I was losing my acuity due to this monster. My brain is the only thing I have left and if I lose that, what then?

Comment

I thought of another one - rather vain I guess, but still important - better skin. I was looking at my skin (before burying it under makeup) and thought about how much better it will look with proper nutrition, hydration and not all the strain of Al.
                    AF since August 25, 2008

Comment

Ooh - one more.

(blush) better sex! You know - where you don't pass out before its over and have energy to be a little creative?
                      AF since August 25, 2008

Comment

TiredofHiding;253639 wrote: Ooh - one more.

(blush) better sex! You know - where you don't pass out before its over and have energy to be a little creative?
                        And, REMEMBERING the next morning what those new moves were! :H

Patty
                        Tampa, FL

Comment

Excellent post!!

In addition to the others, especially better sex...remembering how he looked, how he felt and not going into a two-hour crying spell afterwards. Peaceful, peaceful sex.

Taking my son to Braums for an ice-cream cone at 10:00 at night. Because he hasn't had much of the opportunity due to my drinking, the light in his eyes is incredible.

Going to work (so simple)

Feeling hope for today, instead of regretful suicidal sorrow.

Getting control of financial matters, instead of them controlling you.

Not spending $200 or more on alcohol a month, which depletes the checking account, which puts me in bounce protection status, and because of the semi-daily drunkeness, I really dont care. And continue to purchase necessary items, re: groceries (duh!), which adds hmm....maybe paying out over $300 in fees to the bank each month. NO WONDER I AM IN DEBT!

Realizing you can do anything you want to do!!!!

Just feeling normal...and reacting normally to stressors in life.
                          This is no longer a drinking problem...it's a matter of Life or Death!!!

Comment

I am looking forward to not being ashamed and feeling in control of my life again. Also, that maybe there is some point to life and some future. The best thing in the world would be to wake up looking forward to the day ahead.

Comment

One more. Being able to post more than a simple sentence reply!:alf:

4 days AF at midnight.
                              This is no longer a drinking problem...it's a matter of Life or Death!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X