A Cow, Betty Boop and the Red Tomato

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My hubby and I headed out for our weekend away from computers, work, teenager, phones and choreville (the label he has given our home). Our car loaded with skis and swimming suits. An odd combination, but when you live in Colorado there is always a hot springs somewhere and if not then a hot tub.
    On the way I planned to ask him if I could buy a cow for Maasai. I pretty much know that he will say yes, so this is really the courtesy request. Don’t tell my hubby. Although he is not unfamiliar with my crazy schemes, but this one may put me over the top. We fuel up, stop for coffee and are on our way up the canyon. “So honey, I want to talk to you about something”. He responds with a raised eyebrow, “What is it this time?” I almost get angry at his comment, but I want this cow, so I say, in a very sweet voice, “you know my friend from Kenya that I have been chatting with on MWO? Well he only has one cow (my husband already understands that the Maasai measure their wealth in cows) and he has been struggling to improve his status in his family. ….regain some footing so to speak, and I would like to buy him another cow.” My hubby smiles and then asks me how much the cow is going to cost us. I tell him 10,000 shillings. Now my hubby is no dummy so he does ask about the current exchange rate. 75 to 1. “Wow, that is not bad.” He says. “Too bad the country is not good for travel right now. “Of course you can buy Maasai a cow. Heck you pay that much for a pair of shoes and only wear them once.” This makes me grimace in guilt. He goes on, “At least Maasai will get some good use from that cow.” “Maybe I should send Maasai my patent leather, yellow pumps by Charles David”, I think to myself.

One of the things that made this trip so special is that you were all there with me. Everywhere I looked I could see signs of you. A lot of you are animal lovers and have dogs and cats in your avatars. A dog greeted us at the office when we checked in and seemed especially interested in me. I took this as a sign and assumed it was one of you in spirit reminding me that you were there for me. I did have second thoughts when later in the weekend I stepped out of the condo and found a "doggie deposit" on the welcome mat. But the most impressive sign was a picture hanging on the wall right before we entered our condo. I looked up as my hubby unlocked the door and saw Betty Boop wink and blow a kiss my way. Right then and there I knew that I was not alone for the weekend. I would be able to line up my pill parade every morning and night. I would be able to moderate or be AF, whatever my goal for that day. I would be able to enjoy myself and work through cravings and would not be alone in the battle. Thank you all for being there for me through the weekend.

One afternoon after a long, hard ski day my hubby and I visited a local tavern for a beer (well he had a beer as I can no longer stand the taste of it so I had wine). We sat at the bar and watched ski and snowboard videos. We watched 2 movies, that were different, but somewhat the same. Let me explain. The first one was shot in the 1970s; the second in the 2000s. The first one is skiers doing acrobatics in the air. The second one is snowboarders doing acrobatics in the air. The first one has athletes from the ages of 30 – 50. The second one has athletes from the ages of 16 – 25. The first one has segments about the athletes in which the athletes tell us about their families, how hard they have worked to get to where they are and how much they love the sport. The second one has segments about how great their last run was, how much they love the sport and something about “hey dude”. They first one shows photos of the athlete with their wives, kids and even the dog. The second one shows athletes chugging beer from a keg.

NOTE ADDED DUE TO AUTHOR OVERSITE: OK, I may have pushed too hard. So let me explain why I called the above the Red Tomato. Shawn White is a Snowboarder, actually did quite well in the Olympics and I happen to know that he can party quite hardy. His wildly popular nickname is The Red Tomato, a title granted him due to his long, curly, carrot top hair. You pretty much cannot watch a snowboarding movie without him in it.

On Friday, Saturday and even Sunday I stuck to my 2 drink limit, which is my goal for February. So it was a great weekend in terms of drinking. The topo seems to be working. And so far the only side effect that is really driving me nuts is the tingling in my extremities. Makes me wonder what it would be like if I were a guy.

Croft, I love you!

But I gotta ask... what is the red tomato? Am I being daft, or must I put my dirty shoes on?
    Thank you for making me giggle, once again. Congrats on sticking to your limits and being true to yourself.
    Much love, :l

Patty
    Tampa, FL

Comment

hi there.. croft. it sounds like you had a great weekend . and yea where is the red tomato.see ya
      :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
      best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

Shawn White is a very famous Snow Boarder. He was in the Olympics. His nick name is the Red Tomato. Funny story. My ex-sister in law, who is 21 now, actually hooked up with him at a party and then turned him down cause he was being a total jerk! Apparently he has a bit of an ego. Go figure.

Comment

Croft - what a lovely post (as ever!!!) You write soooooh well - everything therein is in bright three-dimensional colours!!

Except the red-tomoato?!?!?! Can't wait!!

And well done you.....and how lovely about the cow - such a special cow... And what an eye-opener about the two videos....our world is not always better for 'progress' I fear!

Yup, we're all with you.....thanks for being with me too!! (Bet you saw some piles of stones whilst you were away too!!)

Love FMS xx
          :heart: c: :heart:
          "Be patient and gentle with yourself - the magic is in you."

Comment

yippee for Croft. How do you get the cow to Maasai? If Maasai doesn't wear your size, please send me the shoes. thank you for entertaining me on a bleahhhh Monday ... more later.
            :boxer: Get the hell out of my house, Al, you worthless bastard!!

Comment

dex - I will wire the cow to Maasai

I am size 7 1/2. Do you look good in yellow?

Comment

I loved your post Croft - you are amazingly talented in the writing department.

You did so awesome with your moderating too this weekend!! Way to go!

Comment

Crofty, thanks for the clarification.... I thought that the red tomato may have had something to do with the
                  tingling in the extremities.... :tsk: :banana: :devil:

See, I'm an OLD pervert! I don't know who the carrot top is... but I know smut!

:nutso:

Patty
                  Tampa, FL

Comment

Croft,
                    Loved your post...I thought about you many times this weekend and wondered how you were doing. I'm so glad to hear that it went well. We're so lucky to have you as part of our community. :l
                    It's personal, myself and I, we've got some straightening out to do. And I'm gonna miss you like a child misses their blanket but I've got to get a move on with my life.
                    It's time to be a big girl now....

Comment

Croft;270449 wrote: Makes me wonder what it would be like if I were a guy.
                      :H You cracked me up!

Comment

Love it

Croft I was w/ you too..........................glad you had a wonderful weekend:goodjob: And that you met your goals................

(I'm paying for mine still).............but rule #11 still rings true, makes me want to mod tonight, but REALLY think I need to go AF................glad I was w/ you last weekend, but tell me, where on earth in Colorado did you see a Pegasus, been looking all my life and they are very evasive (sorta like my AF nights!?!??:H )

LOVE YOUR WRITING girlie, too much!!!!:h

MA
                        :rays:My happiness is my greatest gift to others:rays:eace:

Comment

Hey Croft

Love your posts~! Good on you re the cow, excellent gesture (I did though laugh totally out loud when you were considering sending your shoes too!).

Glad you had a good wekend and moderated well.

SL
                          Wake me up low with a fever~Walking in a straight line~ Set me on fire in the evening~Everything will be fine~Waking up strong in the morning~Walking in a straight line~Lately I?m a desperate believer~But walking in a straight line

Comment

:H Croft, I don't post much but really enjoy your threads. Wish I was at the bank when you take the cow to be wired
                            :huggy
                            "Love is large, love defies limits. People talk about the sanctity of love...love is by definition sacred. Not some love between some people but all love between all people" ~ Jennifer Beals

Comment

cowgal;270642 wrote: Croft I was w/ you too..........................glad you had a wonderful weekend:goodjob: And that you met your goals................

(I'm paying for mine still).............but rule #11 still rings true, makes me want to mod tonight, but REALLY think I need to go AF................glad I was w/ you last weekend, but tell me, where on earth in Colorado did you see a Pegasus, been looking all my life and they are very evasive (sorta like my AF nights!?!??:H )

LOVE YOUR WRITING girlie, too much!!!!:h

MA
                              Pegasus is a constellation - I saw you while I soaked in the hot tub under the stars.

Comment

Working...
                              X