Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A little nervous

Hi All:

I am heading to Florida for a week with my 13 year old daughter to visit my 80 year old parents. This will be the first trip away from home since I started this program. I started in January and racked up 21 AF days (not consecutive) and then started the supps and topa in February. What I really did was STOP drinking at home. I only drink when out in social situations and then limit to 2 drinks, once in a while 3. I used to drink a bottle of wine per night at home.

So now I'll be at my folks where there is wine in the refrig, Mom has 1.5 glasses with dinner every night. I'm just haven't faced that situation and am nervous that I won't handle it well. I'm thinking I'll buy some AF beer, which I've been having at home (1/night) instead of wine.

I would be OK with having 2 glasses of wine a couple of nights but don't want to drink every night. Worried that since I'll be cooking each night (I like a glass of wine while cooking), will be "on vacation" - likely to be a bit bored with the retired lifestyle etc etc. I like where I am now, and don't want to blow it.

Looking for some support.

Will be checking in here during the week. Feel you all are my friends!

Tx.

A little nervous

do you like cranberry juice? - maybe keep some cranberry juice and sparkling water in a wine glass next to you while you cook. I am finding that works - I too like to cook with a glass of wine. you can also pour you AF beer into a wine glass.

I feel for your predictament - AF in a new environment - how is this going to go? But you are smart to start thinking about it now. Create a plan for what you are going to do in each situtation and be prepared.

We will all be there with you in spirit!!!! You can do it!

Croft

Comment

A little nervous

Really identify with this. Especially cooking with wine (in hand)! Agree with Croft, have an alternative to hand, just something to sip at. You seem to be doing so well so am feeling positive for you! Catnip x

Comment

A little nervous

There are also sparkling af wines. Like apple or pear. I bought some around the holidays but hubby drank them in a sugar seek so I can't say how they are. Gigngerale? Plain tonic and lime? Just something in a glass to meet the need.
        sigpic
        Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

A little nervous

Good ideas. Tried the sparkling pear wine a long time ago and liked it so will look for that on the first shopping trip. Will check in later. Thanks for the support.
          G

Comment

A little nervous

Water with a lemon slice might do too. And at least you are planning ahead! Good job!!!!!
            Noelle sez "Do want you like, like what you do. Life is Good."

Comment

A little nervous

Ask for Help.... where in Florida? If you are going to Orlando, there is a huge IKEA there, and they sell the sparkling peach, along with sparkling pomegranite apple, and another berry one~ 3 For $8.

You are planning, which is exactly what you have to do.... I did that when I went to a National Sales Meeting for my company... the most important lesson I learned that week is that most people really DON'T care whether you drink, and when they innocently ask, "Aren't you going to have something?".... we internalize it and stress out.... all for nothing!

I went to Bonefish Grill last night and looked around, trying to pick out my drink of choice. I noticed that several people were simply drinking soda, tea, or water. Yes, some people were drinking, but not everyone. I ordered my club soda with a splash of cranberry and a twist of lime, and it looked fancy and tasted wonderful.

Congrats on your success! Enjoy the weather here in lovely Florida- the wind chill today was a balmy 78 degrees! :beach:

Patty
              Tampa, FL

Comment

A little nervous

Some good ideas here - when I was newly sober I took diet tonic water with me and drank it from a nice wine glass. it's not too sweet and has a bite like wine. even better with a dash of lime.
                It always seems impossible until it's done....

Comment

A little nervous

Hey "g" or should I call you "lily" as in Lily of the valley in your avatar?

Anyway, You have gotten some great advice. Some spa's serve sliced cucumbers in water, if that is of interest to you. Just another idea.

All the best,

Myheart
                  Patience has its limits. Take it too far, and it's cowardice.
                  - George Jackson

Comment

A little nervous

cucumber in tonic is really good. water is better for you. but the fizz sometimes satisfies that I wish I had a drink feeling. you don't feel so denied.
                    sigpic
                    Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Working...
                    X