I went to AA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I went to AA

Some of you in chat last night know this. At the last minute I threw on a raincoat and went to the church where the meeting was being held.Took me a while to find the right door (big church) so I was a little late. Slinked in and sat in a chair in the back hoping to be invisible. And promptly began to cry. It was a quiet little cry but the leader picked up on it and brought me a paper towel. So instead of being invisible, the spotlight is on me. Great. Guy in front of me, without turning around, extends little packet of kleenex. Woman slides across the back of the room and sits beside me & pats my leg with that "it'll be OK" touch. Meeting moves on. I see the leader (I don't know what to call the person directing) hand someone a paper and it is being passed around the room. (all this is a sort of behind the scene thing) It is given to me and I realize it is FOR me. People put their name and phone number on it. So at the end, they hand out these token things. I called it a communion biscuit. Round, white, in a church.... Well they don't hand them out, they offer them. The white biscuit is for those starting out. Other colors are for AF time periods. Woman beside me gives me a nudge and a nod so lo and behold I stand up and go get the biscuit. The room breaks into applause. So much for invisible, huh? Guess I'll put it in the pocket of my big girl pants and fiddle with it when I get the urge to drink. It was an OK thing. I willl go back next week. I think.
    sigpic
    Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

I went to AA

wow, greeneyes....seems like you experienced a "shift" of sorts. I know you were trying to be invisible, but maybe standing in the light is just what you needed. Thanks for sharing your experience...very thought provoking. Wishing you a strong day :h
    ~K.

Comment

I went to AA

You are so brave greeneyes! I wish i could be as brave. And its great that you were not put off and are going again.....I respect you. Bella xxx

Comment

I went to AA

Another good thing is hubby was all proud of me. I never came back to office after making a fast food run - his milkshake is still in my car as I type this. Remember the part where I can't be left alone? He asked what the heck happened to you? He was so proud when I told him I went to AA and got a biscuit.
        sigpic
        Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

I went to AA

Greeneyes, good for you. I have been toying with the idea and you have just given me the courage I need. Thank you.

Comment

I went to AA

white chip

Yep, I have yet to pick up what they call at my meetings a "white chip" YOU ARE VERY BRAVE!!! I am just embarrassed to have screwed up AGAIN, but eventually I will commit (I think!):fingers:

You did great, if you follow the program along w/ coming here (I hope this for me also) you will do well at staying AF....................ray:

Good job, sometimes AA works, I am hoping it works for me in conjunction w/ MWO!

Have a great day, good job Greeneyes!!

MA:h
            :rays:My happiness is my greatest gift to others:rays:eace:

Comment

I went to AA

good for you green im so pleased for you
              Jcaqui xxx
              Mwo,s worst speller....

Comment

I went to AA

Green, good for you - that is how a first meeting is supposed to go. No pressure - just support from people who have gone through the same thing as you are. For me, the biggest hurdle was simply admitting that I needed help and couldn't do it all myself (although God knows I tried). AA'ers call that a 'willingness to believe.' It's funny - if you go back and look at my first posts here, I was probably as militant against AA as you could be, but that has obviously changed.

Anyway, glad you're first meeting went well and hope that you are able to make it back. As others have said, it doesn't work for everyone - but at least you can say you gave it an opportunity. As I've always said, I found the combination of AA & MWO to be beneficial (even if the messages are sometimes at odds). I can still empathize with the stories that I read and the people that I meet.
                Sobriety Date: June 15, 2007 -- "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got...."

Comment

I went to AA

:happy: Green, you bold girl!!!!!!
                  :boxer: Get the hell out of my house, Al, you worthless bastard!!

Comment

I went to AA

Greeneyes
                    CONGRATULATIONS! and thanks for posting your experience for all of us to read and consider!
                    You are a HERO! Even your Hubby is proud..but most importantly, you should be PROUD of YOU! No one "made" you do this...you did it on your own!
                    YOU ROCK GIRL!
                    :goodjob:
                    Sending you hugs and warm fuzzies.
                    Stay Strong!
                    BHOG
                    War isn't working. Let's try Peace!

Comment

I went to AA

That's fantastic, Green! I am very proud of you. That took an enormous amout of courage.

Keep us informed!

xoxoxxo

MM
                      Face your deficiencies and acknowledge them, but do not let them master you. Let them teach you patience, sweetness, insight.

Comment

I went to AA

1st. Step...

Green i think you made the right choice! give it a chance. :goodjob:

Luv Ripple~
                        :l

Comment

I went to AA

Well done, Greenie. Do as they say in AA and "take the best and leave the rest". Like MWO it is always there. Meetings can vary greatly, so look for the ones that fit you!

:l :l
                          AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

I went to AA

Very proud of you Greens. Keep the chip and hold on when you're feeling low. You'll remember how brave you were yesterday. Because you *were* very brave.
                            Noelle sez "Do want you like, like what you do. Life is Good."

Comment

I went to AA

(((Green)))

I'm so proud of you!!!:goodjob: Your description makes me less afraid of AA. Who knows, maybe a white chip is in my future. :l

Comment

Working...
                              X