Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking to give up drinking

Hi all,
    i was looking for some help from people who have given up drinking. Although I guess im in denial thinking that I dont have a problem - i think i do..I cant seem to go for even a week without having a drink and then it turns into bingeing....

I just dont seem to be able to find the motivation to give it up and i dont know why

shaila xx
    ~ I am better than this devil AL ~:new:

you looking for me? well dear one YOU have to want to be AF....only you can make that choice. if yer not ready just come and chat and get to know us, we are here for ya...:l

:welcome:
    ~Ripple~

Comment

Shaila Welcome, I was where you are last October and had struggled with it for many years. You have come to the right place and have taking the first step to ask for help. Keep reading and posting, this is a wonderful place with the best most understanding people.

Comment

Welcome!

Hi Shaila Welcome!! Your in the right place if you want to give it up or if you want to moderate your drinking! Maybe a couple of questions back at you. What do you mean by you can't find the motivation? Is it a lack of wanting to or is it that you want to but can't because you feel addicted to it? Is it a problem in your life? Is your health, relationships, etc at risk?
        When you say a week - do you mean you drink once a week, then it turns into a binge? Sorry to ask so many questions, but it's hard to direct an answer at this point.

Have you read the book MWO? It is an awesome read and you can also find lots of info on this site. These is something for every goal here. Myself - No Alcohol for me - 53 days. The program works if you are ready to work it.
        Lots of love and best wishes!
        Liv
        AF since Jan. 1, 2008 .... It all began right here

Raise your hopeful voice, you have a choice, you made it now.

(from the Movie "Once")

Comment

Hi Shaila and welcome to the forum!

It is a big decision to change our drinking habits and in my case one that was thrust upon me and probably something I didn't really want to do if I'm honest. What I can say though is that although I've had 2 slips since June last year my way of thinking has been changed dramatically and particularly how I perceive myself as a non-drinker. Being on forums like this and conversing with people who are willing to extend more than the hand of friendship has helped me do that. Whether you're considering going totally A/F or moderating your drink there will be always someone here to offer advise and give you help through their own experiences, even the bad ones. I find I learn more from those and my own stupid mistakes than anything else!!

I think we all, if honest, lack self motivation when we first set out to combat our habits and I was no different. It's staying around and reading and posting and getting some inspiration from here that helped me on my way in the beginning.

Welcome again and best of luck to you.

Love and Happiness
          Hippie
          xx
          "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
          Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Comment

Thank you guys for your replies.....the problem is i see drinking as a treat..as in ill only have 2 glasses and that never happens as we all know...I really need to give it up as its not a lifestyle choice that I want and also it is really cutting in and robbing me of valuable time...because of this habit i keep putting everything off untill tomorrow and when tomorrow comes its the same cycle..i want to be free and not have this expensive and dangerous habit
            shaila xx

Comment

livingfree;277293 wrote: Hi Shaila Welcome!! Your in the right place if you want to give it up or if you want to moderate your drinking! Maybe a couple of questions back at you. What do you mean by you can't find the motivation? Is it a lack of wanting to or is it that you want to but can't because you feel addicted to it? Is it a problem in your life? Is your health, relationships, etc at risk?
              When you say a week - do you mean you drink once a week, then it turns into a binge? Sorry to ask so many questions, but it's hard to direct an answer at this point.

Have you read the book MWO? It is an awesome read and you can also find lots of info on this site. These is something for every goal here. Myself - No Alcohol for me - 53 days. The program works if you are ready to work it.
              Lots of love and best wishes!
              Liv
              I think that im using it as an excuse to deal with other emotional problems. Life is meant to be fun and free yet I sabotage myself and I dont know why. I feel like my happiness is attached to drinking and it never ever is one drink...once ive had the one the beast takes over I would really like to be AF but there seems to be a lot of denial on my part and that leads to the lack of motivation ie its not the end of the world its just a drink..

Also I was looking around for a support forum and this is the best..... i have not found any other where people are soo supportive thank you and keep up the good work.
              People often feel afraid like myself to admit the denial and go somewhere where they can find support..as I dont know any one in my family or friends who drink its just me and my secret "treat" as i used to like to refer to it as - but now i know and i have known for a long time its not really a treat - i guess i take some sort of power knowing that i can do what I want to do
              xx

Comment

Welcome Shaila,

I think it is great that you can see this "treat" as the thief that is stealing away valuable and productive time. Trading away these rituals are conscious and difficult choices to make but ones you won't regret.

Hugs
                Is Addiction Really a Disease?
                Watch this and find out....
                http://youtu.be/ekDFv7TTZ4I

Comment

OK, here's a hardball. And I mean this is a kind way. I;m not doing great myself but I can do the talk. Drink lots of water, take the supplements. Eat regularly and healthy. Ecercise. Listen to the CDs (people have various opinions on them but for me they knock me out - insomnia is an issue. It even knocks my pets out) Hope that helps
                  sigpic
                  Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

OK, here's a hardball. And I mean this is a kind way. I;m not doing great myself but I can do the talk. Drink lots of water, take the supplements. Eat regularly and healthy. Ecercise. Listen to the CDs (people have various opinions on them but for me they knock me out - insomnia is an issue. It even knocks my pets out) Hope that helps
                    sigpic
                    Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Welcome Shaila,
                      You will get lots of support here. You will read the stories of what works for others, and figure out what might work for you. A month ago I read the My Way Out book, also Easy Way to Stop drinking by Allan Carr, and began coming here. Now I'm AF 26 days. I had tried quitting several times over the past few years, never lasted more than two weeks. I was mostly a weekend binge drinker. The new-found time and control of my life is wonderful!
                      My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

I know this may seem dumb but alot of the times I seem to drink to combat boredom - i live at home with my family and i feel i have no control in the house to do what i want when i want plus my mum drives me up the wall with her cooking stinks out the whole house and I cant stand the exotic food so to get some me time away from home i end up in a bar and eat out often as im just not happy at home and also I cant move out so i feel really stuck.

Happiness has to come from the inside and Ive made so much progress over the past 6 months doing lots of self help positive thinking with only this last issue with the drink that i need to combat..I want to be able to feel free and walk past a bar without feeling that im missing out
                        x

Comment

Welcome Shaila, and basically.......

Shaila;277307 wrote: I think that im using it as an excuse to deal with other emotional problems. Life is meant to be fun and free yet I sabotage myself and I dont know why. I feel like my happiness is attached to drinking and it never ever is one drink...once ive had the one the beast takes over I would really like to be AF but there seems to be a lot of denial on my part and that leads to the lack of motivation ie its not the end of the world its just a drink..

Also I was looking around for a support forum and this is the best..... i have not found any other where people are soo supportive thank you and keep up the good work.
                          People often feel afraid like myself to admit the denial and go somewhere where they can find support..as I dont know any one in my family or friends who drink its just me and my secret "treat" as i used to like to refer to it as - but now i know and i have known for a long time its not really a treat - i guess i take some sort of power knowing that i can do what I want to do
                          xx
                          This is EXACTLY me! I understand you entirely, glad you have joined and hope you get a lot of of being here. ODAT.

SL
                          Wake me up low with a fever~Walking in a straight line~ Set me on fire in the evening~Everything will be fine~Waking up strong in the morning~Walking in a straight line~Lately I?m a desperate believer~But walking in a straight line

Comment

hi there..shaila..welcome. glad to meet you .read alot and keep on posting. and one day at a time .. have a great day..stay close and we are here for you
                            :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
                            best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

Had fun talking to you last night....your'e cool! Get RID of that "friend."
                              Noelle sez "Do want you like, like what you do. Life is Good."

Comment

Working...
                              X