I am here so often, even I am getting bored

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have so many one days on,one day off.Been drinking consistently apart from those days for 8 years now. Have slowed down to one bottle of red wine to lots of vodka on many other occasions, most nights for many months now,I knew I had a problem before but have have continued drinking every night since. I attempted giving up smoking for 4 days last week and it certainly helped my chronic asthma for a couple of days and myself esteem, tried dieting for several hours too,but ijust don't know where to start? I drink on average nearly 2 bottles of wine a night. I have so many issues, where do I begin?:upset:

Elsie,

Begin with you. What do you want, what do you think is most important?

Write it down. Don't waffle back and forth. Choose your path and figure out how to get down that path.

Ummm. I smoke and drink (drank) two to three bottles of wine a night and turned to vodka when I wanted to "hide" the drinking because hubby can't smell the vodka. Yikes!!

I was never a "hider" before I tried to quit, so I understand that is hard to admit.

Choose your path, go down the path, do NOT be swayed.

We are here for you no matter what, this is a wonderful, caring community.

Oh, and when you fall off the path, we are still here....

Love,
    Cindi
    AF April 9, 2016

Comment

What strategies have you tried in addition to coming here? It seems that just posting may help some, many use meds, supplements, CD's and other MWO strategies, telling a real person, writing down reasons for quitting, telling another person, reading books in addition to MWO.
      My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Elsie, hun. Sounds like you are trying to tackle too many issues at once. You are taking on too much stress. Go easy on yourself.

Which issue do you feel is more life threatning to you right now - drinking or smoking?
        I would definately tackle one of those first.

But I have to say, you need more advice here. I am not a smoker, so I can't not give you the advise on how to give that and the booze up. We do have some people here trying to do both, so hopefully someone else will jump in soon with some words of wisdom for you.

I think when you start to get healthy with not drinking and not smoking, your diet just might fall into place, so go easy on yourself for awhile in that department. Just get some execerise in to help with the overall balance of stress and calorie reduction.

Best of luck to you

Love, Me
        :l
        Alcohol is simply the device between success and failure.

Comment

cindy, you always seem to be there , how come? you seem to be like a guardian angel. I am so new to this site as much as i am new to the internet, but i have felt great comfort from both,thanks, I will continue to try and work it out and hope I've posted in the right places in the meantime, once again thankyou cindy.

Comment

I tried alcoholics anonymous in my late 20's but felt I was too young, felt like a stupid child, since then had lots of different anti-depressants and cbt for anxiety,hypnotherapy,you name it , but my doc will not go down alchoholic route yet,don't know what else to try, any ideas?

Comment

Elsie,

I am simply here because I am online a lot. No other reason.

However, I do believe in the AA idea that we all help each other, actually it is the MWO idea, too.

Elsie, decide what you really want to do. Then figure out what is the best path to get there. If that path doesn't work, find another. This is the way life works.

I truly wish there was a "silver bullet" for all of us, but there doesn't seem to be any.

Bear posted a wonderful post about "surrendering," which is an AA "thing" but truly a life thing. (Bear is MDBiker) He has been sober 10 months, but there are non-AA people here who have been sober long time, too.

I do surrender to alcohol. I cannot take a sip. Period. I am a total drunk and one sip takes me down into the abyss.

You may not be there. There are many here who are not.

I guess what I am trying to say is find YOUR path, your place, where you are comfortable and not drunk. There is no "right" answer, which is hard but so much more pleasant than being pigeonholed into "you must do this way or fail."

So, I go back to my original answer. Figure out what YOU need to work on and go down that path. If that path doesn't work, find another path. Then keep on working.

Geez, this is called life and growth.

You are worth it, every bit of effort and every bit of time.

So am I.

Cindi
              AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Oh, Elsie I know where you are coming from. First, try not to punish yourself . I try to keep thinking how good I feel when I don't drink. I am not there yet by any means......(2nd AF day for me)
                Please keep checking in though because you certainly deserve to break the AL chain like all of us are struggeling to do.
                I wish you the best
                When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.
                -- Franklin D Roosevelt --

Comment

thanks,greenhouse, just want to be free of all that eats me up. I know we all should probably start
                  here. This was probably OUR latest addiction. Fix this and perhaps we can fix all others? maybe?

Comment

Cindi, I just want to say you're awesome................I know this thread isn't about you but you are awesome.........
                    Elsie, listen, learn, she's right

Comment

You are right this person is amazing,I feel priviledged she bothered with my plight at all,but unfortunately I'm drinking again so after checking out the posts , I'm off tonight, hopefully with stronger resolve tomorrow, g'nite all,thanks from the weakling

Comment

You seem a Very sweet person and I thank you for your kindness and your knowledge, I've been here for a matter of hours and I already feel a weight lifted off my shoulders for not having to explain to my unsuspecting family.I Feel that already Ican cope with another AF day! Happy Mothers Day! Girls!!!!!!!!

Comment

Just my personal experience; I downloaded the MWO book, followed the supplements instructions, got on topamax and it killed my alcohol and cigarette cravings. First 2-3 weeks were really hard - but it got easier once I made it through them, I spent a lot of time on this site posting, reading and chatting to get through those rough times. I slipped a few times through the first month but have been totally AF for 3 weeks now.

Comment

Working...
                          X