Lethargic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lethargic

Sorry about the goofy user name but everything else was taken. I'm in the 8th week of the program and up to 300mg's of Topa. Everything is going great. And thats coming from a guy thats been in 3 treatment centers!!! My problem is being lethargic all the time. Once I'm up and going its Ok but an hour later phew. Its driving me nuts. Almost like a hangover........and that comes from alot of experience. The books mentions Co-enzyme 10Q? but I can't find it on the internet. 100 cups of coffee doesn't even help. Anybody out there have any similar experiences?

Lethargic

Sounds like the lethargicness is coming from the amount of Topa you are on (as I'm sure you already know!!) Here is a link I found:

www.doctorstrust.com/sear...SAodC3Ejyg

Are you also doing the 3 x a week exercising?

Comment

Lethargic

Lethargic

Thanks Smokey. I'll check out the link. Regarding excercising I'm the guy who got kicked off the football team for smoking after practice. So its always been my weak link. I'm quite active though. I do remodeling for a living so I'm either hanging drywall, laying tile, or banging on boards all day long. Still need to do the aerobic stuff. My daughter bought me some walking shoes for Fathers day to entice me to DO IT so I will.
      Hows your program doing???

Comment

Lethargic

Doing pretty good. Am in my third week. Have been practicing moderation. Usually about 1 or 2 glasses of wine. Couple of nights none at all. Was up to 75 mg of Topa, then had to go back down to 25 mg so I wouldn't run out, waiting for my next order. (doc wouldn't prescribe, so getting offshore). Was feeling really tired on the 75, now that I back to the 25, I feel pretty good. Am planning to tritrate up to around 200mg, but if I was tired at 75, and you sound like it is even worse at 300mg, not sure what I'm going to do. If that co2 stuff works for you can you let me know? I am taking all the supps, and exercising..but I was still feeling just wiped out at night, at that was only at the 75 mg. Was the tiredness getting any better at all?
        Well good luck, and hope you find something to get you revved up!!!

Comment

Lethargic

Re: Lethargic maybe some help!!!

Hey, check out the post from backpacker77 under the "Ask Dr Garcia" post thread.
          entitled Provigil/Topamax Research Help Dr. Garcia or R. J.

Says Provigil is supposed to help counter the effects of the drowsiness from topamax...

I'd be interested in getting that as well, when I ramp back up...

Comment

Lethargic

Lethargic

Glad your doing well. Too bad your doc won't prescribe. I went in with the book and the studies etc etc. He bought into the whole program even asked me to get him a copy of the book. Don't know where you live but if you can find an "addictionoligist" he/she would probably help you out. I'm practicing moderation as well having a couple drinks on the weekends. I can tell you one thing being well versed in "alcoholism" the thought of drinking in the morning absolutely makes me ill. At one time I'd die for one. Now 8 or 9 o'clock at night same thing I have no desire. 4 or 5 in the afternoon I still have abit of a craving but not much so I'm working on that with the tapes. So SOMETHING in this program works. I guess my goal like the book says is to BE NORMAL. I hope I get there.
            As far as lethargic I guess once I hit 75 mg it started and its the same at 300 no difference at least for me maybe thats why you ramp up. I did quit taking that Calms Forte I think that made me tired at night. I'm going to hit the Vitamin store later today and see if they have CO2 stuff I'll let you know. Well hang in there and I'll be in touch!!!

Comment

Lethargic

Re: Lethargic/ DHEA Adrenal exhaustion

Hi. Congrats on the 8 weeks! That's awesome. You may have exhausted adrenals and want to supplement with 25mg of DHEA daily and an adrenal cortex supplement plus the vitamin C that you are taking. I'll post the story below for you to see if it makes sense for you.
              ------------------------
              Fatigue

Much of the chronic fatigue and exhaustion experienced by alcoholics may stem from overstressed and exhausted adrenal glands. Endocrinologist John Tintera, M.D., whose work I have described in earlier in this website, notes that the most common symptom of hypoadrenocorticism (failing adrenals) is monumental fatigue and loss of stamina. This state of exhaustion can be reversed only by carefully adhering to a diet to counteract hypoglycemia and rebuilding the adrenal glands.

Dr. Tintera treated this condition with a bovine adrenocortical extract injected intravenously over a period of several weeks. For a short time after the injection, the body of the recipient acknowledges, the presence of this bovine adrenaline and lets its own adrenals rest and recuperate. I had personal experience with these injections during the early l970s. At the time, a 17-keto steroid test showed that my adrenal glands were exhausted probably from the stress of widowhood and single parenting. Fortunately, my physician knew about adrenocortical extract (ACE) and did not make the mistake of prescribing cortisone, which is a hundred times stronger. Cortisone is a synthetic drug powerful enough to completely take over adrenal function. If this happens, the adrenals can gradually atrophy. The longer you take cortisone, the lower your odds of getting off it and rebuilding your own adrenals. The drug also has some very undesirable side effects. It causes the face to round to a characteristic moon shape and alters the upper back into a "buffalo hump". Mental instability is another potential side effect. For these reasons, treatment with ACE was much safer. Unfortunately, in the last few years, the FDA has made it impossible for physicians to obtain ACE. Now some doctors have begun prescribing small amounts of natural cortisol to take at each meal. William Jeffries, M.D., explains this therapy in his 1996 book, Safe Uses of Cortisol.

Another adrenal hormone and neurosteroid that is made by your adrenal cortex is dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA). Natural levels DHEA peak in our early twenties and then diminish about 20 percent for each ensuing decade. One study correlates zero DHEA with death! Stress accelerates the loss of DHEA, and certainly living with alcoholism and hypoglycemia (and, of course, pyroluria) will shortchange you of adequate DHEA. The first step is to measure your present levels with a lab test.

Most drinkers over forty are good candidates for DHEA replacement. Over 5,000 studies exist describing DHEA's ability to restore stamina and energy, enhance libido, reduce stress, restore memory, fight cancer, reduce body fat, and maintain vigor even into old age. You can purchase DHEA in 25 milligram capsules without a prescription, but make sure you buy pharmaceutical grade DHEA that is 99 percent pure DHEA.

Comment

Lethargic

lethargic

Thanks for the info. I must admit I was getting real nervous halfway through the article.....Cortisone?.....Moon face?......Hump back? where is this going? Reminded me of recent pictures of Jerry Lewis on TV. I will check out the DHEA. I did buy some CoQ10 yesterday so I'm trying that as well.

Comment

Lethargic

Re: lethargic

:lol You know how science is...they always have to put the scare tactics in too. Anyway, 25 mg DHEA daily is also good to help with weight loss for the over 40 crowd...in addition to the fatigue.

Comment

Lethargic

Re: lethargic

cv- are you in the states? can you buy that here? - states I mean?
                    I have been abs 22 days oops make that 23 and I find myself going to bed earlier and earlier and just being worn out during the day.
                    I have learned a few things here - about why I'm also craving sweets now.
                    Anyway- thanks for the info. I'll have to see if you post a response in the morning...going to bed now|I
                    lisa

Comment

Lethargic

Lethargic

Hey Smokey Hope this gets to you. I'm new to this system and don't know how to reach people direct. But check out CV's response and DHEA. It might help your tirededness.

Comment

Lethargic

Lisa, you can get the dhea here easily. I use vitacost.com and get nsi brand. Purest I can find. I've posted some sugar busting formula's under the general discussion board as well, because they are killer as soon as you stop feeding your body the alcohol, which is nothing but straight sugar. Basically, that is the l-glut, the niacin, chromium picolinate. If chocolate is your thing, than a copper supplement (200 mcg) should help you past your cravings. Just check out some of the other ed posts on the first two or three pages on the general discussion board to see some of the other reasons its physical not just mental...and why AA is not the be all and end all and society's attitude really does need to change so that we can cure this disease and treat it properly and openly.

Take care.

Comment

Lethargic

Thanks for the info on DHEA, Cynthia! I, too, am experiencing feelings of unbelievable exhaustion now that I'm abs....I feel pretty good, mood is good, etc....and then in the early evening (it's barely 7pm) I feel ready to crash...yawning, can't keep my eyes open....etc., etc....

I definitely think my adrenals are shot! Not only have I been drinking so much, I'm 50ish and I was taking amphetamines for years because I was misdiagnosed as ADD...I hope I can repair some of the damage....

I'll be getting the DHEA this evening, so I'll start it tomorrow...I'm sure it'll take time to begin to heal my system...so the sooner the better... In the meantime, I've quit sugar and cut down on all simple carbs... I feel good despite my tiredness AND I've lost over 15 lbs in about 8 weeks....

Thanks again--
                          best, susan

Comment

Lethargic

I had to stop the topa because of the "dopa" affect. Very depressing. I tried three times to make it work because it worked (as far as drastically decreasing wine cravings). I love and hate Topa. :c

Comment

Lethargic

Lethargic

Hi Maggie. You may allready know this. But if the Topa was working you can take the 25mg pills and cut them in half. I know I read in one of Gr. Garcia comments if it stops the cravings theres no need to ramp up any higher. Also you can try the sprinkle stuff in smaller dosages 15 mg I believe. I too suffer from the Dopa affect but I guess I feel its worth the pain. Good Luck and please hang in there girl!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X