I shared at A.A today..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I shared at A.A today..

This mornings topic at the A.A. meeting was gratitude.
    I shared my story and where I came from.
    173 days a go I was in a hotel room no telephone, no fridge, no microwave just a sink , a bed and a T.V. This was my home. It had a door I could close and keep out the world, it had a window with a curtain I could close and keep out the world which is just the way I liked it.
    I was suffering from an awful chest infection and was not going to work(yes I still had a job) I had just been to the doctors and were I tipped the scale at 140 pounds I am 6foot 2
    I was starving myself to death as all I did was drink and eat Fried chicken or a sandwich last thing at night(last thing because it would interfere with my drinking)
    I turned off the T.V. and there was still a picture. I saw a man sitting on the edge of his bed.
    He looked like death warmed up.
    His face was shallow and gaunt his hair was unkept,unshaven and had the look of complete defeat on his face. It was me!
    I called the Doctor again to tell him that I was an alcoholic and that I needed help The operator told me he was not in his office today, however Doctor Walsh was would I like to see her, sure I said and so I did.
    A lovely young lady introduced herself as Dr Walsh's assistant.
    She did the usual blood pressure,temp pulse and asked what she could help me with.
    I broke down and told her everything (I will have to get back to you all as I am at the library and my time is up. I am so sorry.
    I will return soon.
    Love John S.

I shared at A.A today..

awesome doesnt that feel better now that you have told your story and gotten help for yourself. good for you . keep it up and god bless you
    :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
    best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

I shared at A.A today..

John, I find your posts so powerful. So raw and honest.... you are a good writer. I look forward to reading more about your journey.

Comment

I shared at A.A today..

well she listened to me and told me that the hospital had two beds assigned at a detox/rehab place and would I be interested in going there? yes please was my reply.
        She made a few calls and I entered the E.R. and an hour later I was in a detox bed at the Share House.
        I was there for 5 months and the wonderful staff and residents helped me, gave me the tools, and educated me about my disease. After 5 months the Director asked if I would be interested in living in a sober apartment, again I said yes please. so now here I am 173 days after my last drink living in a lovely studio apartment I am back to work and have even been promoted to head cashier (that shows the trust and understanding of a great company).
        I have been able to furnish my "little pad" with a few things bought on sale and through a few thrift stores (thank you goodwill I am saving for a T.V. as the nights get a little long, but I am reading a lot.after the T.V. I hope to get a P.C. so I dont have to go to the library to post a message to you wonderful people.(I was able to buy a 1995 Mazda protege for no money down and $280 a month in payments. So I have been blessed many times. I then thanked all the people at the A.A. meeting I go to as without them and there help I might not be alive today.
        Love,
        John S.
        P.S. I now tip the scales at 185 pounds (dont qoute me on this but in the mirror the other day I swear I thought I was growing an arse (I was told a had an arse like a parakeet
        P.P.S.
        After 3 months I whent back to Dr Walsh's office and thanked the Physicians assistant, we stood there for 5 minutes hugging each other.

Comment

I shared at A.A today..

Wow, John, I have tears in my eyes to think of how far you have come! Your dedication to sobriety is so evident, truly inspiring! I would really like to hear about what happens in rehab, if you ever feel like sharing.

I am happy that you have received so many blessings, and, more than that, that you are able to recognise your blessings. Gratefulness is an empowering trait.

XX Kate
          A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

I shared at A.A today..

John, you are so open with your feelings......I love it and envy it too!
            Noelle sez "Do want you like, like what you do. Life is Good."

Comment

I shared at A.A today..

CONGRATULATIONS John

Wow John, your post made me cry. You have come so far and I wish you every success. Thank you for sharing with us. Keep up the good work. Love and best wishes Aunty Vic :h:h:h

Comment

I shared at A.A today..

John,
                Your post gave me goose bumps. You go!!!!!! A few minutes ago I joined your thread about going af. Thanks for sharing your inspirational story with us. I am looking forward to getting to know everyone on your thread.

Miso

Comment

I shared at A.A today..

John, thanks so much for sharing your stories. You have a lot of courage. Keep coming back!:thanks:
                  The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

I shared at A.A today..

John,

Thank you so much for sharing.

Your story and your recovery give us ALL hope.

Love,
                    Cindi
                    AF April 9, 2016

Comment

I shared at A.A today..

John,
                      You are such an amazing guy...I am so happy you have moved forward.

much love and hugs,
                      K
                      Striving to live life without ALCOHOL

Comment

I shared at A.A today..

great posts john ,do try and tell us about your time in rehab tho

Comment

Working...
                        X