Ok, Its time to introduce myself!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I answered another newcomer ( savon19) earlier and now it is time to let all know I am here and committed to improving my present addiction to Champange.

I have been in denial for years and always thought I could scale back to social drinking. I have had too many "mornings after" full of regret.I had every intention of having only 2 glasses of champange.Somehow I always had more and have lost control many times. The other day I started a list of bad things which have happened as a result.... Then I was so depressed by it, I took a drink whichmakes no sense. I have been able to stop for 5-6 weeks at a time, so thought I was ok. But when I start again, it is never just a social drink. The AA did not work for me when I tried it 10 years ago. I could not bring myself to stand up and say I was an Alcoholic.... it seemed like it was a sin. SO when I found this website, I became hopeful. I am not sure how many of you have had to quit completely vs cutting back? Right now it seem s overwhelming to me to not have a glass of champange.

I see my doctor tomorrow and hope he can subscribe one of the non-craving drugs to see if that will help.

I look forward to being part of this community and sharing experiences.
    It is never to late!

Welcome Moonlight!! Wishing you the best.
    I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

Hi moonlight and welcome! I know moderation works for some...and I had hoped it would work for me. But I've learned that I simply can't handle it, so it's AF for me. Thing is, everyone here is different and has their own "way out," so you've come to the right place! It's a warm, supportive community where hope truly does spring eternal. Best of luck to you on your journey. :h
      ~K.

Comment

Moonlight,

:welcome:

I hope you can feel your way around the program and get comfortable here.

I agree with Kirova, everyone is different, some can mode successfully and others must go AF.

You will find your path.

Glad you are here.

Cindi
        AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Hey Moonlight - just checkin' in w/ya.

Just keep positive... (yeh - right! Just like ME - made only about 1 day... then caved. Tomorrow's another day!!)

:alf:

Remember to have fun each day! (Sorry - couldn't think of anything else to say... I'll be Better tomorrow... honest... do u believe me?? hehe!)
          Sometimes you have to take the leap and build your wings on the way down... Anais Nin

Comment

Welcome Moonlight.

You may get a lot or a little by coming here, but you will gain. Even if it's only a few drinks less or the reminder that you have a problem... a little does go a long way over time.

Skoots
            "I have not failed - I have just found 10,000 ways that won't work"- Thomas A Edison

Comment

Welcome,
              So far I have been alcohol free since coming here. But I will likely have one planned glass of wine at an event in April. I will abstain again for while after that, at least another month. SO many moderators say they keep going back to old habits, but none are quite this moderate. Many moderators eventually learn to abstain, I think. Is moderation a great place to begin? Probably. Is any drinking worth the risk of "going back"? Not sure.
              My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Moonlight :welcome:

I too have been sober ever since joining MWO. And I never would have thought that possible 78 days ago. My intention was to cut back, but felt so good being sober that AF just happened for me.

I wish you the best of luck. This is a great program. Read alot of posts. Alot of inspiration out there.

Love, Me
                :l
                Alcohol is simply the device between success and failure.

Comment

hi there..moonlight.. welcome and glad to meet you ..read alot and keep on posting.see you around. good luck
                  :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
                  best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

Welcome Moonlight,

For me, there seems to be a lot of shame around alcoholism. If I had told some of my friends that I wasn't drinking because I was on medication, they would have been concerned for my health, inquired about the meds and the "condition", and supported me 100%. Instead, when I told some of my friends that I've stopped drinking, they didn't want to hear that:
                    "Suck it up!"
                    "Don't over-react, you aren't an alcoholic!"
                    "What's wrong with you, girl? You don't have a drinking problem, trust me!"

Well, like my friends, I don't want to hear the "A" word.
                    I know that if I told myself,
                    Patty, you must stop drinking because you have an incurable disease called alcoholism, and the first step for you is to admit it....

I know a trick. If I don't admit it, then it doesn't exist right? :nutso:

Wrong, but that's how my brain works. And if I admit "IT", how do I later explain WHY I'm drinking/moderating around the same people (that I once confessed to about my "ALCOHOLISM?")

So, I've learned that the best way to get through life is to avoid issues that aren't comfortable to be around. :H If I told myself that I could not drink anymore until the day that I died, I would convince MYSELF that I was over-reacting and then continue to prove it: I'd set a goal of three drinks and "stop"~ for the moment. Document the fact that yes, I stopped. The fact that I stopped would PROVE that I never really had a problem. Therefore, I could have one more, and then I'd be done..... and spiral stairs, here I come!?!?!? One and done. I wanted that for my car license tag, but it was taken...

My advice to you is: DON'T worry about tomorrow. Or next week. Next week will take care of itself when it's here, but for today, you can make your choice
                    . Choose today that sparkling water with cranberry juice is a good alternative to champagne. Choose to wait 30 days to make a "decision" about your future drinking. There's no hurry. You've got the rest of your life to decide, right?

If your alcoholic Alf starts dancing in your brain :alf:, tell him that you aren't in the mood to dance with him.... and when he calls you tomorrow afternoon, ignore his phone call.... and choose again, Moonlight.
                    Much love, :l

Patty
                    Tampa, FL

Comment

Welcome Moonlight,

I don't know if you have read RJ's book, but it is very enlightening. It reccomends going af for 30 days before you consider moderation (if moderation is your goal). Initially going the 30 days af, and then moderating was my goal. However, I passed the 30 days af on the 5th and feel so good, that I am going to keep going af for now. I also take the supplements which I attribute to helping me feel so much better. Keep reading and posting as much as you can. This site has a lot of helpful posts and helpful people. Welcome.

Miso

Comment

Working...
                      X