I really am having trouble finding the proper Topamax dosage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had bought the materials and listened to the tapes. I got a prescription and started taking 25 mg per day about three weeks ago. 14 days into it I was moved to 25 mg two times per day. It put me in a very strange mood my cravings for drinking were already decreasing greatly. It made me very weird. I was having trouble remembering where my keys were, that never happened to me in my life and I'm 43 years old. On my fifth day of 25 mg twice per day I started having trouble with erectile issues. As badly as I want to stop drinking or at least binge drinking I feel that if I have to give up loving my wife in exchange it's a pretty hard decision. I was wondering if anybody has any data on the effects of Topamax at 25 mg a day over a long period of time, does it work as well for decreasing cravings as the increased dosages without the side effects? Or does anyone have any experience with similar side effects upon increasing dosage that wore off and if so how long did it take for them to wear off?

I know that I'm asking a lot from people who know nothing about me and have no reason to help. I am a 43-year-old male with two children and a wife of 17 years. My father died last year, I sold my company and retired prematurely. It seems like I have become a person who drinks too much out of boredom and missing my father. I know there are many more people who have a much more dramatic story than I. But mine feels very real to me. I'm hoping that someone out there has had an experience like mine and can help me through or at least point me to someone who might have an answer for me. I thank you most humbly.:new::new::new:

Hi Trying,

In the My Way Out book, she talks a lot about the mental fogginess being a side effect of Topamax, but says it goes away after about 6 weeks. She started taking something else that helped offset the forgetfulness but I can't remember offhand what it was. Not sure about the ED! Have you tried posting your question on the "Men Only" forum here? (scroll down near the bottom of the forums page)

Some things you could try are cutting back your dose of Topa, quitting it entirely and just doing the supplements (I find the L-Glutamine, Kudzu, GABA and Calms Forte to really help but you need to take the MWO recommended doses). Or, you could just wait it out. It seems like your wife wouldn't mind so much if it meant a happier and healthier you in the long run. The MWO plan is to be on the Topa for 12 weeks, though I know some people need to do it longer. But I think the beauty of the program is the well-roundedness ... the hypno, the exercise, the supps and the meds if necessary ... and also the fact that you can tailor it to your own needs and beliefs ... so you don;t have to just take the Topa.

I'm sorry about your Dad passing away. Is it possible you need to talk to someone? (I know many men hate to hear that) You don't say if your problem drinking started with your retirement and your Dad's passing, but these are 2 huge life changing events and its possible you're having somewhat of an identity crisis ... like what do I do now? My Dad went through something similar as he retired early and my Grandpa passed away soon after (as far as I know he didn't drink a lot but I know he was very depressed for a while), but he finally threw himself into his hobbies of sailing, kayaking and rowing and even joined a rowing team and started coaching the high school rowing team.

Just know that by starting on the Topa and getting on this forum you've started on the road to healing. Keep fighting the good fight, keep posting and good luck! Oh, and don't be too hard on yourself. Us humans are fragile.

Cheers.

Comment

I have heard some members who have talked about taking it only at night and have said that the side effects are reduced, I know that I only take 50mgs currently in the evening and although I am still on the up scale (ie: I am still slowly moving up the scale, will go up to 75mg next week) I have not found the side effects to hurt me at all. I take it around 6pm in the evening.

I hope that helps. I don't thing there is any reason you have to take it morning and evening.
      Every day is a day to start over and remember that I am powerless over my addiction. I will no longer give the BEAST any power over me - he can go straight to hell.
      :h

Comment

Hi Trying,
        Topa effects many of us differently. I have been up to 200mg at one point and really never had the memory loss, just the weird tingly feelings. I started taking it at night as well and that seemed to work. I haven't been on it in awhile and decided to try Campral which I ordered recently and am waiting for it to arrive.
        You will find what works for you, just never give up.
        "Keep your eyes and heart focused on the end goal at all times, and never settle for less."

Comment

Hi Trying - Welcome. I actually had alot of experience several years back with Topamax. I was prescribed it by my neurologist for severe intractable migraine headaches. I found that I could only tolerate a very small dose, one that they usually don't even start that low.
          I'm not sure exactly what the dose was but I know it was under 25 mg one time a day. Any higher dose and I felt awful. I felt very spacey and wierd as if I could jump out of my skin. It was not a good feeling and could tell it was not healthy to not go to a lower dose. Once I was on the small dose it was like a miracle drug. My migraines went away completely and there were no noticeable side effects. I stayed on it for six months and successfully went off it. Everyone is very different in the dose they can tolerate with Topamax. Also any doctor should tell you that one of the most common side effects of the drug is memory loss. They usually will warn you about it. I did not experience this but again I was on a very small dose. I do know a coupleof friends who also went on it for
          migraines and one in particular had a terrible time with the memory loss. Talk to your doctor. I would think that where everyone can tolerate different doses of the drug that everyone also has different doses that are effective with the cravings. I am presently not drinking and not taking any of the anti craving drugs and doing pretty well. But I really would give your doctor a call . Maybe the 25 mg once a day is the appropriate dose for you and it sounds like it kind of works for you too. You made a great decision to come here , it really can help. We all really understand your struggle and are here to help you.
          My story is not a very dramatic one either, I have actually had a very blessed life. But you know what we all have the same problem for whatever reason or whatever road we took to get here. Keep coming back and maybe we can help. Take Care, Aquamarine
          NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF YOUR OWN DETERMINATION
          AF SINCE 3/16/2016

Comment

Welcome!

Hi I'm trying,

I concur with the advice to talk to your doctor about this but in the meantime there are discussions here~

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f20/

that may be of help to you.

I have been taking Topamax for over four years now and am now down to just a "smidge" at bedtime. I have been sober for 3.5 years and credit Topamax for this remarkable change in my life.

My memory loss was profound at times~ loss of words as well and I became rather good at charades. This was at 200mg. daily at bedtime. These adverse events did not improve until I began to decrease the dose. I seem to be fine now with the little bit at bedtime.

My condolences on the loss of your father. The loss of a parent is life shattering.
            Grief and retirement are a stressful combination, boredom is a powerful trigger.

I'm glad you have found us,

magic xx
            ~Are you looking for the Holy One?
            I am in the next seat.
            My shoulder is against yours. ~Kabir

Comment

I am so shocked...

I truly expected nothing. All of you people who have responded have me crying. Maybe it's the Topamax. Maybe it's just that I didn't expect people to be so kind to a stranger. God bless all of you if I'm allowed to say that. I'm not a Bible thumper and for that matter I stopped going to church some time ago. But I just can't believe how something so simple could make someone believe in people again. Again, thank you for your help I will continue to read and try to learn.

For the record, my drinking started most heavily when my father died and I sold my company and 500 of my closest friends whom I've worked with for some 14 years. It's a lot in one sitting but trust me I've read a bit and the stories make mine seem like it's a wonderful life. I feel guilty even posting here. But no one knows one's own hell like oneself.

Thank you so much for your kindness I don't know what else to say. Good night.:h

Comment

Working...
              X