Deja Vu?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deja Vu?

Thought it was might be time to resume with this site, as it was so helpful with things the last time. Sounds a little self-contradictory I know, but I was once a regular visitor, last year sometime, and through one or two email correspondances and a fair degree of conviction I reduced my booze intake from 2 or more bottles of strong red wine a day to around the same amount per month. Long, dull story duly edited out, and I've moved to a new town with a new job with a new social network and, if I'm to be honest, things are beginning to creep back up again. Started with a quick glass or two with the boss and then....well, I'm sure you all can all fill in the rest...
    Appreciated your help last time and would do again....
    :thanks:

Deja Vu?

Hey Obzpodboy,
    Welcome back!
    I myself are off to bed now, but before I snooze,....just wanted to say hello.
    Glad to see that if you feel you may have a problem with the booze (again) that
    you have come back here.
    Best wishes
    Amelia
    Amelia

Sober since 30/06/10

Comment

Deja Vu?

Drinking with coworkers.....I want to kick myself when I do that and it is one of my triggers.

I totally know how you feel.

Comment

Deja Vu?

Thanks for the reply. So easy to do...new people, new pressure. I'd been working in the same position in the same town with the same people for years...realised I had a drinking issue, dealt with the excessive side of things...thought I had it licked. And then I switched jobs and moved town. Now I'm back to square one pretty much. Feel like a complete sack of manure. Idiot.:eeks:

Comment

Deja Vu?

Yep, I did the same thing. Did you say or do anything to your boss that you regret? I could tell you some stories.

Its hard when you are trying to "fit in" god forbid someone thinks the new guy is an asshole cause you turn your coworkers down for drinks....

Thats how I feel anyway!

E

Comment

Deja Vu?

Precisely. I've taken a job after attaining a new qualification (higher degree) but I was a mature student. My boss is of course much younger but given our profession (teaching) I made the mistake of thinking he might be fairly sensible about the after-hours entertainment. I was wrong. We're out four nights a week and it seems that the lifestyle revolves around a peeing contest over who can still get up to deliver their lecture. I worked my balls off for this job and I don't want to think about leaving over something as juvenile as this...
            Similar story with you?

Comment

Deja Vu?

not exactly, I find myself in situations where I feel nervous and I get way too loaded with workers and have terrible panic attacks the next day that are debilitating to my work. So the outcome is the same. It sounds like your boss looks up to you which is flattering, but you have nothing to prove to him...still hard to say no though.

Comment

Deja Vu?

Oh Ozpod, do not let this person bring you down. You have worked so hard to get where you are at now. What do you think you have to prove by drinking with this other alcoholic with his own issues? End it now. Choose other non-drinkers to buddy up with. Sorry to sound like I'm preaching. I'm also a teacher. I see the new teachers every year do this and one by one they drop out of sight. How is this person, your boss, out drinking with new teachers every night? Sounds very unprofessional to me. Distance yourself.
                sigpic

Comment

Deja Vu?

In my profession (consulting) its a very similar culture. I just ask for soda water an explain my medication supposedly is not happy with the AL drink....

So far, no one has every said a thing and a few others have even joined in

Comment

Deja Vu?

i guess I am lucky that I work with structural engineers, and my work rquires that my brain be clear and sharp, or buildings will come falling down if mistakes are made.

no one drinks in my office, and if they do, it's one glass or 2 at office events which only happen twice a year.

I did have jobs before where some of the people drank on the job. that, is very dangerous.

Trix
                    You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

Deja Vu?

Thanks to all who responded...great to hear from you.:thanks: Today has been better...totally AF and not tempted otherwise; went for a run around the lake, played a little guitar until my kid came home from nursery...usual stuff. But then I did have a day off from work. I guess I've used the new job as an all too straightforward excuse to slip back into old habits. I'm an adult - supposedly - time to face up and take responsibility for my own actions; and health.

Comment

Deja Vu?

Obz,
                        Great to hear your having a good day. I know about the pressures of having a drink with your knew enviroment. I was pretty much a recloose in my career.....out of the country or alone on swing shifts. Then the old promotion popped up. Now your going to endless meetings & endless luncheons........I put up with that for about 5 years ( Always telling everyone that I coun't drink because of the meds. I was taking.) (It gets old after while.) I was lucky because I had the oppertunity for early retirement, took it. Anyway....I can fell your pain...hang in thier. We're here to help. IAD
                        ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
                        those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
                        Dr. Seuss

Comment

Working...
                        X