Is anyone else here... rebellious?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I'm stuck in the rebellious teenager stage! I am NOT a teenager - not even close.

When I'm told (whether by myself or someone else) you Need to get control over this, whether moderation (??) or AF... almost as soon as the thought crosses my mind, I want to "rebel" and buy something to drink.

I'm sure it's all related to the blasted addiction. If anyone has insight on how to overcome this IMMATURE reaction, please do tell! I need to be able to say to myself when I feel that rebellion - "wait a minute! This is something GOOD for you!!!"

I've heard/read somewhere that addictions to whatever can cause the person to kind of freeze in time and not mature. They are caught in that period of time where they started the addiction... If so, I'm about 15 y.o. (Living in a 55 y.o. body.)

Not good. Awareness is not enough for me. I am Great at analyzing things, even know what's best for me... but, in the case of alcohol, revert back to that rebellious teenager.

How to grow up??
    Sometimes you have to take the leap and build your wings on the way down... Anais Nin

Well you know.. it's not about those other people, it's about you.. It has to be your idea. It's your health, your life, not anyone else's. Yes, I think the addiction tells us that we Need AL.

I've heard that it freezes our maturity too. I think it does.

You have to reach deep down inside yourself and have that little talk. It's not about anyone else when it comes right down to it. Yes, others would benefit greatly when we aren't drinking to excess.. but that's a side benefit of not drinking..

It's also not something to think 'forever' about. I find that if I think.. there is always AL available out there.. I can do this for today.. just today.

You benefit more than anyone else.. so be selfish about it... Do it for you when you're ready!!
    P.S. You can't love if you don't love yourself... :heart:

As you wander through life, sister/brother, whatever be your goal, keep your eye upon the donut, and not upon the hole.
    - Sign in the Mayflower Coffee Shop, Chicago

Comment

savon19;299124 wrote: I think I'm stuck in the rebellious teenager stage! I am NOT a teenager - not even close.

When I'm told (whether by myself or someone else) you Need to get control over this, whether moderation (??) or AF... almost as soon as the thought crosses my mind, I want to "rebel" and buy something to drink.

I'm sure it's all related to the blasted addiction. If anyone has insight on how to overcome this IMMATURE reaction, please do tell! I need to be able to say to myself when I feel that rebellion - "wait a minute! This is something GOOD for you!!!"

I've heard/read somewhere that addictions to whatever can cause the person to kind of freeze in time and not mature. They are caught in that period of time where they started the addiction... If so, I'm about 15 y.o. (Living in a 55 y.o. body.)

Not good. Awareness is not enough for me. I am Great at analyzing things, even know what's best for me... but, in the case of alcohol, revert back to that rebellious teenager.

How to grow up??
      Yep...definitely me ! Rebellious when told I should do/feel/be something !
      ?We are one another's angels?
      Sober since 29/04/2007

Comment

ACK!!!!! You are ME!!!!! And I've heard that too about not maturing. I'm much older than you.....I'm 21! LOL!!!!! (Although physically 56.)

Yeah, the alcohol is talking FOR you and making you rebellious. If you get the alcohol that you drink out of your brain (the physical), it'll be a little easier. But then, you have to deal with the mental AL that stays in your brain. He's a little harder to deal with, but if you're sober, you can do it 'cause you have a much better chance. You need to read a lot of posts here and then I think you'll "get it."

If *I* can do it......I would think you could too....at least try, ya know? :h Look out though.....I am you, therefore you are me! So I totally understand.
        Noelle sez "Do want you like, like what you do. Life is Good."

Comment

Noelle;299163 wrote: ACK!!!!! You are ME!!!!! And I've heard that too about not maturing. I'm much older than you.....I'm 21! LOL!!!!! (Although physically 56.)

Yeah, the alcohol is talking FOR you and making you rebellious. If you get the alcohol that you drink out of your brain (the physical), it'll be a little easier. But then, you have to deal with the mental AL that stays in your brain. He's a little harder to deal with, but if you're sober, you can do it 'cause you have a much better chance. You need to read a lot of posts here and then I think you'll "get it."

If *I* can do it......I would think you could too....at least try, ya know? :h Look out though.....I am you, therefore you are me! So I totally understand.
          mg There are three of us! What helped me is the fact that the hangover lasts longer than the buzz.

Comment

Sounds like classic addicted thinking to me. One of the hallmarks of addiction is giving in to cravings for one's substance of choice for no other reason than the fact that one is craving it. In many ways, perhaps a better analogy to capture what being addicted to alcohol is like is that of the "spoiled child" who protests each and every time he or she doesn't get her way. That's what being addicted is like for me. No matter what has happened with health, work, family life, etc, my body screams for booze- "I want it!" would be an accurate depiction of what this is like. Of course, as you well know, leading a productive, effective life does not involve just doing anything you want whenever you feel like it, but if you let your addiction dictate things, that is often precisely what happens. So, my advice is to show the "spoiled child" who's really in charge by stubbornly refusing to put any more alcohol to your lips. It is difficult, by very empowering after some AF time has passed.

Comment

5thaday;299186 wrote: Sounds like classic addicted thinking to me. One of the hallmarks of addiction is giving in to cravings for one's substance of choice for no other reason than the fact that one is craving it. In many ways, perhaps a better analogy to capture what being addicted to alcohol is like is that of the "spoiled child" who protests each and every time he or she doesn't get her way. That's what being addicted is like for me. No matter what has happened with health, work, family life, etc, my body screams for booze- "I want it!" would be an accurate depiction of what this is like. Of course, as you well know, leading a productive, effective life does not involve just doing anything you want whenever you feel like it, but if you let your addiction dictate things, that is often precisely what happens. So, my advice is to show the "spoiled child" who's really in charge by stubbornly refusing to put any more alcohol to your lips. It is difficult, by very empowering after some AF time has passed.
              Yes... I was thinking something similar earlier... AL is a selfish little monster going.. "Me, me mee!!!"
              P.S. You can't love if you don't love yourself... :heart:

As you wander through life, sister/brother, whatever be your goal, keep your eye upon the donut, and not upon the hole.
              - Sign in the Mayflower Coffee Shop, Chicago

Comment

Uhoh FloridaBoy, three of us?? :H I'm not so rebellious about AL anymore, but I'm still pretty rebellious in general. I can't help it!

AL is a selfish little monster going.. "Me, me mee!!!"
                Palatia, you'll find a lot of that going on around here. :tsk:

Comment

Great insight... all...!

I can't help but think that some component of this is pure... masochism.

WHY (otherwise) wouldn't I willingly do something that is good for me?

It's absurd. Yet... Somehow "we" make it ok to do wrong things.

UGH. What is wrong with this picture??

Many of you (I'm sure) are past this stage. I NEED to get past this.

Best to all,

Sher
                  Sometimes you have to take the leap and build your wings on the way down... Anais Nin

Comment

it feels good to rebel, it gives one a sense of empowerment. to say fuck it! I don't care.......

gives one a sense of freedom. booze does the same thing, but you pay the price later.

I still say the hell with it sometimes.
                    You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

Sher, I'm 54 days AF and I've just moved the AL rebelliousness over to join my regular rebelliousness. Masochists?? Us? Yep, you got that right. Or is it crazy? Isn't a definition of crazy when one does the same thing over and over and expects a different result? We keep drinking and expect one day to be okay? Not gonna happen, damnit!

Comment

Working...
                      X