Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did it!

UKBlonde,

You will do it. You can deal with the urges without drinking. Trust me!!

Do whatever it takes, eat chocolate, scream into a pillow, chat, take a time outs. whatever!!

Those cycles can be broken and each time you break one you make the next cycle a little easier and the next even better. Pretty soon those cycles are getting farther and farther apart and fainter and fainter. So, stick it out.

I am so proud of you. I had written you a long encouraging post when you first posted because I saw so many negative (um, watch out for relapse, etc.) and Yes, you might relapse but it is NOT a requirement!! Somehow it got lost in cyber space and I was out of time. Today I have some time and I truly wanted you to know you did something brave, special and hard to do. It shows you got guts!!

You will do great!!

No more swimming in cold dirty water for you, girl.

I am incredibly proud and excited for you. Take each day as it comes and break it down into minutes when you have to. YOU DO KNOW it will get easier and easier. It is not always going to be quite so rough.

Chief has always told me it is easier to quit than keep quitting. Damn him, he was right.

Pulling for you the whole way.

Love,
    Cindi
    AF April 9, 2016

Comment

I did it!

Thanks Cindi. I shall be swimming in clean water soon - off to the local pool. I had a chocolate munch in the middle of the night. The psychologist said that this is bad since it gives you a sugar high then a low thus making alcohol cravings even worse. I couldn't help myself and am prepared for the worst today. The folk at the centre I stayed in are aware of this and I can call them anytime. Plus I have AA which I have attended twice since coming back home after 2 meetings a week in Scotland.

Fingers crossed today.

Comment

I did it!

Day 24.

After my swim this morning opened my college books for the first time in a month. Also called Dr and made an appointment for Monday. Decided I am going to try Campral. Had been using Topa for 5 months prior to rehab but didn't like the tingling and tiredness. I perform to a good level both in work and (now my strength is returning) at play - I have always kept fit and want to return to some form of athletics or body building.

All looking very good.

Comment

I did it!

UK--I just wanted to stop in here and say :goodjob:. I think anyone that takes the step and makes the commitment to go to rehab is very brave. I think your story is an inspiration go many here, including me. :thanks: for sharing.
          The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

I did it!

UK - I too, want to offer Congratulations....

Oh, and ice cream, too.... When my cravings kick in, I have a scoop of ice cream either with a diet soda (thanks St Jude for the idea!), or in chocolate milk.... oh, it's for the added CALCIUM, so it's good for you, right? :H

Patty
            Tampa, FL

Comment

I did it!

Ummm, yeah, that's why I eat ice cream too! Vanilla with chocolate syrup. Mmmmmmm......sounds good, I may have some for lunch. Can't you just taste it?
              Noelle sez "Do want you like, like what you do. Life is Good."

Comment

I did it!

Thanks guys, over here most of us don't have health insurance since we pay more tax towards the state system, this meant the commitment for me was a really big one especially being self-employed.

Regards sweet things - I have been advised to avoid sugary stuff. A chocolate/sweet binge always preceded the day when my next drink binge would occur. Simple sugar can give the same high as alcohol but can result in a blood sugar crash, low mood and enhanced craving for alcohol. I did eat a lot of chocolate during initial withdrawl - partly for comfort but have limited myself with it since. Was wanting chocolate real bad last night but I recognised it was day 7 in my 8 day cycle and have been on full alert all day. Had bad urge this afternoon talking to a well meaning friend who wanted to know about my 'trip' away, and of course the conversation steered onto drinks - type and quantity. I could see nice cool pints of Strongbow and golden cans of Scrumpy Jack.

I have thrown the images out of my head, they aren't going to tempt me.

Comment

I did it!

UK Blonde,
                  I think most of the good advice has already been given, so I will just add my
                  :goodjob: and
                  CONGRATULATIONS
                  for taking such a HUGE step! I hope your journey continues to improve, you probably walked out of rehab with a huge tool kit of ideas to help beat back the Beast!
                  Wishing you all the best!
                  BHOG
                  War isn't working. Let's try Peace!

Comment

I did it!

Good for you

UK B -- Glad to see you back. I noticed you were gone. Congrats to you - big bold steps make bigger successes. I was interested in your "sugar" connection. I am finding that to be a huge trigger for my cravings of AL. So I am attempting to rid the sugar out of my life. Could prove to be harder than AL:H

Looking forward to hearing more from you!
                    Liv
                    AF since Jan. 1, 2008 .... It all began right here

Raise your hopeful voice, you have a choice, you made it now.

(from the Movie "Once")

Comment

I did it!

Day 26...............

Got a stinking cold which is making work difficult but still hanging in there. No cravings for last 24 hours, possibly because the cold has numbed my senses!

Got a business dinner tonight and there will be alcohol offered. I know I shall be strong enough to decline, not sure how my associate will take it though. If they try persuade me I shall just be open and honest.

:boxer::boxer:

Comment

I did it!

Day 27 - I did it! Phew. I was so nervous last night and wanted a drink for confidence - but I didn't. My colleague remembering what I have just been through, also decided not to drink.

So got through the craving and feel great this morning. Cold still here but not as bad as some of the hangovers I have experienced.

Comment

I did it!

You are doing wonderful! Kudos to you.

Comment

I did it!

It is now over 28 days since my last drink!

Last night went out for an Indian takeway, football was on the TV in the waiting area and since I don't watch football at home it took me back to the pub - just the sound of it was enough to associate with drinking pints of cider at the bar. I have already identified my weak point as just before meal times so it was fairly bad, Especially since I had to wait almost 40 mins for the food - kitchen was really busy with orders.

Rushed back and wolfed the hot curry down, along with some lime pickle!

Then it was gone..........

Been to the gym today and out cycling for a short distance, everyday is good sober.

Comment

I did it!

Super awesome!

Wow, UK!

You are such an inspiration! The fact that you've continued to fight the temptations and the old traditions of drinking is awesome, and gives me hope for myself, too!
                              I had never heard about the sugar thing, though - verrry interesting! Since I'm on day 2, I had told myself I could treat myself to more sweets, like ice cream, as a reward for not drinking. I will definitely be careful about that now.
                              Also, you had said that your urges come strong on an 8 day cycle. Is that normal for most people, or does the length of the cycle just depend on the person? Did you discover this on your own, or did one of the doctors point it out to you?
                              Anything I can learn about to be proactive on my own sobriety is helpful! :thanks:
                              Nobody trips over mountains. It is the small pebble that causes you to stumble. Pass all the pebbles in your path and you will find you have crossed the mountain.

Comment

I did it!

Gathings, the sugar thing and the 8 day cycle were both realised during a session with the psychotherapist.

My actual drinking was more of the 'binge' type, with sometimes a week to 10 days without a drink. I realised I had a chocolate binge the day/evening before drinking again. I guessed the average break to be 8 days and that also matche with some extreme low days I had in Rehab (before we had the discussion - which is how I know it is valid). The psychotherapist thinks the chocolate craving was about my body wanting instant relief - which it got in the form of a sugar high, which would then result in a blood sugar low afterwards........accompanied by mood swing to low and thence an enhanced sudden craving for alcohol the next day.

Others do advise trying to keep blood sugar stable to minimise AL cravings by eating complex carbs and quality protein.

So far, so good!

Comment

Working...
                                X