I can't say no ... how do you do it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WAAAAH :upset: I tried so hard last week and was able to go 3 days without a drink, but when the weekend came I had no self-control. I'm so depressed about that and angry with myself. I didn't even buy anything to drink so I wouldn't be tempted, but I snuck into my husband's vodka that he hides in his closet - how low is that ! (yeah, he's got problems, too, but thinks I don't know). Then at dinnertime he asked if I wanted some wine, so of course I said "SURE!" Needless to say, I finished the bottle. This is a matter of health for me. My doc said an abdominal scan showed "fatty liver." I joked about it with him and didn't have the guts to tell him that I drink about 1/4 to 1/3 bottle of tequila nightly. So far the supplements haven't worked for me. I'm going to "up my kudzu." The stuff I got at the Vitamin Shoppe I don't think is strong enough. Reading your posts has given me inspiration, but no self control. PLEASE -- any suggestions?
    A very sad little Owlet

Hi sad Owlet...... We all know the 4th and 5th day are the hardest. Maybe see if you can go AF today or tomorrow so those days don't happen during the weekend? How much kudzu are you taking right now?
    Noelle sez "Do want you like, like what you do. Life is Good."

Comment

Hi Noelle,
      I'm at work right now and only have a few capsules with me. I can't remember exactly, but I think it's like 150 mg. Does that sound right? Between the milk thistle, kudzu and glutamine I can't remember the numbers. I weigh about 120 - does dosage have anything to do with the amount you should take? I've got Roberta's book, but haven't had time to read it yet - oh, yeah, maybe because I was too busy drinking Fri, Sat & Sun eves.
      Thanks

Comment

owlet:welcome:

I am right with you my dh drinks too and I am having the same problem with saying no when he's around. I have done it like when we go out to eat sometimes I'll just have water while he's drinking but then of course we must drink during movie time. Kudzu does help to moderate. add glutamine to that and go for a walk around the block. It will pass. What were your symptoms of a fatty liver that made you go to get checked out??? :eeks:
        Stay on this site when your craving. lack of willpower (ie addiction sucks!!!!)

hugs anxious:l
        Anxious

When the heart cries for what it has lost the spirit sings for what it has found!

Comment

:l Thanks Anxious,
          To answer your question -- About a month ago I was having severe, unrelenting abdominal pain which required an abdominal scan for diagnosis. The pain turned out to be gall bladder, but the scan incidentally showed "possible fatty liver infiltrate." Apparently that doesn't really have symptoms (I guess until it turns into cirrhosis eventually) and CAN be reversed by diet and (duh!) no alcohol. You'd think that would stop me, huh.
          Owlet

Comment

Wow owlet... sounds tough ...

Just know you Can do it...! I had a little fall on Fri night and Immediately knew I made a mistake.. I knew the little blessings you get when you're not drinking would be destroyed if I continued...

You can get up again...!!

I'm no expert.. but it seems to me that you and your husband need to have a talk... In order to be honest with yourselves.. you should be honest with each other... If he knows (for real) of your condition.. I would think he'd be supportive.. and truly understand... of course that's in a perfect world.. But you never know.

It really can get serious but you can be healthy again!

If you're both hiding drinking from each other.. what does that tell you...
            P.S. You can't love if you don't love yourself... :heart:

As you wander through life, sister/brother, whatever be your goal, keep your eye upon the donut, and not upon the hole.
            - Sign in the Mayflower Coffee Shop, Chicago

Comment

hi there owlet welcome .. it sounds like you already know why you should stop so .now ask yourself some questions but look into a mirror as you ask these questions and you will see the answer.good luck keep on trying and we are here for you .give it your best
              :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
              best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

Owlet, look on page 118 of RJ's book, that's where it tells you what to take when. I'm gonna guess you don't have it a work with you because it's with the empty bottles at home? LOL Stop it Noelle, she's serious! It says to take 1 pill (150mg) mid-morning, lunch/after lunch, and dinner/after dinner.

Of course *I* didn't follow this. I took 3 of the 150mg pills around 5pm when I had the really bad urge. I think people take them different ways.

Look at the book when you get home and that page will tell you when to take all the other supplements. Don't worry, I was duh too for most of my life.
                Noelle sez "Do want you like, like what you do. Life is Good."

Comment

owlet change your mood to hopeful

keep coming back it will be alright now that you have taken the first baby step yeah!!!!!
                  You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

Welcome, Owlet...
                    First things first... which is first, your relationship with your hubby, or your health?

Why is hubby hiding vodka in the closet.... is it his secret stash for rainy Saturdays, or is he hiding it from you? I got the impression that it is HIS private collection? Does he know that you know about it, and do you both pretend that you don't know?

Does hubby know about your fatty liver, and that you should stop drinking?

I hope you consider having a sit-down, heart-to-heart talk with him.... you guys are married for a reason (hopefully happily, if you are having dinner together over wine ).... maybe play a game of Naked True Confessions?

:l Don't beat yourself up too much, Owlet.... 3 days AF is nothing to hoot at.... You can do this!
                    Much love,

Patty
                    Tampa, FL

Comment

You're all the BEST!
                      Palatia, I thought I had replied to you, but somehow I don't see it in the thread. I must have done something wrong. Toggling between this site and doing my job is a little tricky! Anyway, I sooooo much appreciate the input from everybody. I feel like I know all of you because I've seen your names on other posts over the past few days. And I did change my mood to hopeful. I better get back to work - they don't pay me to receive psychiatric care from MWO.
                      Much appreciation & love
                      Owlet :l

Comment

Owlet--some pretty good advice here. I wanted to add that I admire your honesty. Keep trying--remember it's one day at a time---and YES read the book, I think that will make a big difference!
                        The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

Owlet, yes I agree with the others, read the book!!!

Don't give up hope you really CAN do this ...........

I did it with baby steps, but took hubby on board with me .........

All the best ....

Love & Hugs, BB xx :l:l:l
                          sigpicXXX

Comment

one more voice from the darkness, owlet!
                            I told my wife how much I had been drinking and how often and she just looked at me open-mouthed. although we work and live together, she did not understand the depth of my habit. However, she is my biggest supporter...hopefully you can convince your hubby to get on board with you.
                            for me, staying strong meant staying very close to my computer and every time I wanted a glass I got online here and read or posted or chatted...it helps a lot.
                            Please stay close...I'd like to see you succeed with this!
                            BHOG
                            War isn't working. Let's try Peace!

Comment

Ha! I was just going to write what BHOG wrote. My hubby had NO idea how much I had been drinking.
                              Now that he knows that I am a non-drinker he no longer offers me drinks and is very supportive.
                              Day 8 for me.
                              ~Laura

Insanity
                              : doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results................... Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                              X