Oh the temptation!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh the temptation!

So, I've been AF now for 54 days and am very proud of this fact.

My husband is away on a training course this week and I am in the house by myself. On the way back from work yesterday I stopped into the supermarket to buy dinner for myself and my eyes fell upon a nice half price bottle of Wine. I thought to myself, 'I could actually go home and drink that tonight and nobody would have to know!' But I kept walking.
    Then I passed a fridge unit that had some nifty little cans of Gin and Tonic for only a pound each, and I thought 'I could drink those at home tonight and nobody would ever know' But I kept walking
    Then I saw some ?4 bottles of vodka and thought 'That'd get me nicely plastered tonight and no one would have to know!' But I kept walking.
    I got home with no AL, but it was the first time in a long time that I seriously considered buying some and taking it and drinking it all and getting shit faced. I'm glad I didn't.

I think the only thing that stopped me was the fact I am so close to 60 days. That and I know from bitter experience that I cannot Mod, I would have been back to day one (I know some people would say don't reset the days, but it's one of the ways I keep myself motivated to stick at it, I've got to do it properly! ) and I'd have to start lying to hubbo again, I couldn't tell him I'd started drinking again as he'd think he can't trust me to be alone anymore, and I may as well just keep drinking because I'm back to day one etc etc.......

But anyway, I don't have to because I resisted temptation, and it feels better than any glass of wine! This place really helps, even though I don't post that much I come and read pretty much every day

Sorry if this is a bit rambly, just offloading!
    'The only people who give you a hard time (for stopping drinking) are those who used to look to your drinking to excess to legitimise theirs, and they'll find someone else to do that in time. '
    From an Amazon review of Allan Carr's ' Easy Way to Control Alcohol'

Oh the temptation!

YAY for you! what a great job you did!

Even if you feel a little shaky now, you did the right thing - so close to 60 days!
    I'm 45 (ish) and right behind you!

Good on you! :goodjob: from one cat to another~!
    The untold want, by life and land ne?er granted,
    Now, Voyager, sail thou forth, to seek and find.

W Whitman

90+ days yay!

Comment

Oh the temptation!

Congrats to you !!

Hi Hovercat,
      Great for you... :goodjob::goodjob:
      I have the same thoughts when I am alone....
      I need to travel for some business, to check out real estate in AZ. I have been putting
      if off because of 4 nights in a hotel room by myself....it's terrible but I DON'T TRUST MYSELF.... I keep thinking no one will know...shit I will know!!!
      I can lie to other people but not to myself anymore
      March was my first time here and starting AF 22 days last month, had 2 slips so no they are not in a row. I feel the same as you...I have to start counting all over again...soon starting day 3 of AF in 4 hours....
      My husband will be out tonight, tomorrow night, both days on the weekend.....
      this stupid "stinking thinking"..
      I realize I haven't taken any supp yet...or started the cd's...probably a better use of my mind and thoughts than this stupid wine obsession.
      Thanks for you post...you are an inspiration...wow almost 60 days....
      Congrats to you!!!
      Gail

Comment

Oh the temptation!

That is great that you resisted. You must be very proud of yourself!
        ~Laura

Insanity
        : doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results................... Albert Einstein

Comment

Oh the temptation!

WTG!! I'm very proud of you!

But please be careful, Hover. Approaching day 60 has been tricky for some. I was very emotional around day sixty and I know some here who have slipped around that time. Something in our minds trigger around this time I guess. Who really knows?

Just be on guard and enjoy your sobriety! You keep right on walking and don't forget to hold your head up high!!

Love, Me
          Alcohol is simply the device between success and failure.

Comment

Oh the temptation!

Thanks for sharing that Hovercat! It is pretty amazing--especially the 1/2 price bottle!! I'll buy anything if it's on sale!:H
            The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

Oh the temptation!

Wine for 1/2 price? I'm there!!!!!! Oh wait, you're all that way away. Sorry, have to decline. I'm just walking away from AL........just like you did!!!! WTG!
              Noelle sez "Do want you like, like what you do. Life is Good."

Comment

Oh the temptation!

that is really awesome . to be able to say NO to wine on sale.
                I have to say I wasn't that strong last night. i wanted to stay AF but drank with dinner. I don't have a hangover, but still, I drank some.
                that takes a lot of concentration to stick to your AF goal.
                Trix
                You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

Oh the temptation!

Good for you yesterday was my first day without alcohol in years. Plus no vomiting I ate all my meals. It really nice to not be walking around in a full colud. Just a mini one as I am sure the alcohol is still pulsing throung my veins.

Good for you

Comment

Oh the temptation!

That's excellent! Some weeks go by & you may never think of alcohol and then there are those weeks from hell where alcohol tests your every nerve.

I remember after 3 mos and feeling strong I happen to stumble upon a "stash" of 3 beers that I don't remember hiding and had no idea why I hid them! oooh the temptation-I was alone, sober for 4 mos, and who would know? But i threw them out. As much as it pained me-it actually pained me to throw the out-I was happier I had done it.

Congrats for staying strong.
                    :flower: Change a life; make someone feel important. ................. ........................ ..................... ........................ ................. ....... sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X