Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm a Newbie!

:new:
    I just happened on the My Way Out website by way of a search on alcohol withdrawal... I feel like this is a place that suits me! I was so amazed by Jewell's testemonial, and can identify with her struggle.
    My husband is away on a trip, and I've been taking care of our 3 year old son by myself... Last night I drank 2 bottles of wine... usually 1 bottle works fine, but I just kept going.... Anyway, I woke up this morning and decided that I needed to stop drinking all together - for my son, for my husband, for my family... and for my own health and sanity.
    I'm resolved right now, but I know the cravings get strong at the end of the day, and I'm scared I'll give in. I don't feel comfortable going to any AA meetings..
    I bought Jewell's book and CD's, and can't wait to start!
    Nobody trips over mountains. It is the small pebble that causes you to stumble. Pass all the pebbles in your path and you will find you have crossed the mountain.

I'm a Newbie!

Welcome! Great beginning to a new life!!! I slipped and am working on getting back up to where I was. Damn it, I can't find my hypno CD's and it is driving me crazy!!!! Best of luck to you!! You will find all kinds of support here and we have all done our share of things that would make some non-drinkinkers heads spin.

-V

Comment

I'm a Newbie!

Hi gathings :welcome: to MWO ......

It isn't easy, but with the help of the people here it really is achievable ........

Read and post as much you can, for me in the early days I would come here at drinking time and just read and post ....... It is addictive though :H .......

All the best on your journey .........

Love & Hugs, BB xx
      sigpicXXX

Comment

I'm a Newbie!

Sally!!!

Glad you're here. You'll find lots of support and as you look around you'll find many stories similar to yours. You are off to the right start!
        The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

I'm a Newbie!

Hi Newbie -- I have been in and out of AA -- my failure, not theirs, but I suspect that I would have given up by now if I had never been there at all. I am on my second day of sobriety and hope this time to win the lottery. Don't rule out AA -- it is often a pretty nice experience -- and you only have to participate on terms that you want to. Good luck and God bless, Matt
          Matt

Comment

I'm a Newbie!

Hi LV, nice to see you here, Matt
            Matt

Comment

I'm a Newbie!

Hi Gathings,
              Matthen also used that word - RESOLVE. You are here and you can stay alcohol free. I came upon this site through a route similar to yours - Google search, coupled with a search at Amazon.com. RJ's book is very highly rated there. Her story gave me hope - the AA approach did not. We need different approaches in life because we are all so different. So come here every day, and keep posting. You can succeed with this. Your little guy needs you.
              My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

I'm a Newbie!

Gathings,

:welcome:

Getting a handle on the drinking while your little one is too young to remember is a super idea.

I hope you read and reread the posts here and the MWO book.

There will always be someone here to answer any questions or be there when the cravings hit.

The first 10 days are big but I suggest joining the ODAT thread in "Just starting out" because One Day At a Time really does work!

Glad you are here!
                Cindi
                XIX
                AF April 9, 2016

Comment

I'm a Newbie!

Gathings, welcome to MWO!!! Looking forward to getting to know you.....Janicexxx
                  AF since 9 May 2012
                  Quit trying to control something that is uncontrollable (Bear February 08)

Comment

I'm a Newbie!

Thank you for all your support!

It feels so good to read the replies from all of you! This is cathartic in the sense that I've always hidden my thoughts and embarassment over my addiction to alcohol. It's nice to talk about it and know that there are other people out there facing that same struggle.
                    Yes! I want to be there for my son and not feel like I have to hit the bottle every night. I hate the way I feel when I wake up in the morning, and the in last few months, I vow to myself that I won't drink at the end of the day..... but then, weakness and temptation give in, and I find myself stopping by one of the local grocery stores to grab a wine bottle that I can drink at home.... This last week was bad because I found myself wanting even more after one bottle was down. I know it's not fair to my son, and I am lucky that he's too young to notice that after momma puts him down to sleep, she drinks herself to sleep. My drinking has caused me to gain over 30 pounds, too, and I feel like I look disgusting. I know I could be healthier by not drinking.
                    I'm hoping that this will be an AF night for me (I dumped the rest of my wine this morning, and have nothing left in the house), followed by an AF day, and another... I guess the one thing that scares me the most right now is getting through the evenings, when I crave that wine to "help" relax me from a stressful day (I'm a stressed kind of person - it's hard for me to relax).
                    I went out this afternoon and got the glutamine and some of the other supplements. I'm wondering if I should also try getting on the Topomax, too. I guess I should just ride it out right now...
                    Thank you all for your kind words! They mean a lot!
                    Nobody trips over mountains. It is the small pebble that causes you to stumble. Pass all the pebbles in your path and you will find you have crossed the mountain.

Comment

I'm a Newbie!

Welcome Gathings! Your off to a great start! Keep posting and reading while implementing Roberta Jewell's MWO program. In time, if you feel the need to try Topomax, go for it. As for me, I just started taking Campral again. So far so good. No cravings. -Reenie
                      September 23, 2011

Comment

I'm a Newbie!

hi there..gathings..welcome and so very nice to meet you. read alot post all of your questions. stay busy. drink lot of water. this is great place for support we are here for you . stay strong and god bless
                        :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
                        best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

I'm a Newbie!

Just a few more hours to go!

Ok - I'm going to put my son to bed and it'll be just a few more hours until I'm asleep, too.... and then, it will be Sunday morning. I can do this! My husband comes home tomorrow and then I'll have somebody to support me in my efforts to stay AF. I told him about the website and the book/CD's today, and he was proud of me. I just hope I don't let him - or myself, for that matter - down. Just one day at a time, right?

I want to be able to feel the POSITIVE effects of not drinking. I can't remember what that feels like. Will I lose weight, have more energy, not get hot flashes and feel shaky.... will my digestive tract work better? How long does it take for alcohol to leave your whole body... you know... for your body to start working properly without any alcohol interferance?

Comment

I'm a Newbie!

You will feel much better in a week, and really great in two. Somebody said it takes 90 days for alcohol to completely leave your body.
                            My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

I'm a Newbie!

Hi Gathings, don't know if you have time to be on line in the evenings but I am glad to say (based on 2 huge days of my own sobriety) that hanging out on this site is as least as interesting as drinking But really, times seems to pass while I am having a nice time meeting nice folks. God speed.
                              Matt

Comment

Working...
                              X