New Here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Here

Hello, I am going to attempt my first day AF tomorrow. Have the day off work and figure it is the best time to try. I am the mother of 3 beautiful children 2 girls 9 and 7 and a special little boy with autism who is 5. I need to be here for them fully and completley. There is such shame in a mother who drinks, as usual I think I have hidden it well, although I think sometimes people suspect. I do not want to have that stigma on myself or my children. How do you start? What happens when you feel horrible because you are suffering withdrawl, how do you have the strength to resist? I thought I would just stay in bed tomorrow until the kids come home from school and try to ride it out. Any suggestions/thoughts would be soooooo helpful. Thanks for listinging.

New Here

Hi Aussie! :welcome:

Good for you in making that decision..

I think the first day is def the hardest... I'm only Day 16 *corrected* but my routine is drinking herbal tea at night when I normally would drink... Spend AS MUCH TIME AS POSSIBLE IN THIS FORUM...!!!! I couldn't have gotten through without the support of this fine bunch of people ... .. I drink an herbal tea for taming tension and calming.. with chamomile in it when getting closer to bedtime (nearly puts me out).

Just know that it's hard to sleep at first... toughest that first night. But if you expect that, it's not so bad. My trick is to get comfortable then Don't Move... don't toss and turn, that just keeps you awake. I expected that sleep would be difficult/weird at first and it was, but each night got a little better.

As far as cravings and drugs/supplements to help, I'll let someone else speak to that..

WTG and stay close !!
    P.S. You can't love if you don't love yourself... :heart:

As you wander through life, sister/brother, whatever be your goal, keep your eye upon the donut, and not upon the hole.
    - Sign in the Mayflower Coffee Shop, Chicago

Comment

New Here

Welcome Aussie1,

You have made a huge step by coming to this site. It offers a wealth of information and support.

Regarding the withdrawl. How much do you drink a day? That has a lot to do with whether or not you will experince any symptoms. I drank 2 bottles of wine a day during the week and 3 a day on weekends. I was so surprized that I didn't have any physical symptoms. Everyone's system is different though. I attribute my lack of symptoms to the fact that I took the supplements in the starter kit from the Health Store. I can't tell you how much better they made me feel. Most of us are nutrient robbed from drinking.

You are so right about wanting to be there for your children. My father's drinking caused me a lot of pain and embarrassment as a child. You can make a right turn now and have a positive effect on how your children remember their childhood.

I wish you much strength. :h

Miso

Comment

New Here

P.S.

Drink lots and lots of water. It really does help. I found that I slept a lot in the beginning, so get as much rest as you can. Your body will need it to start the healing. Best of luck to you.

Comment

New Here

Hi Aussie 1 and Welcome!
          Congratulations on deciding to get alcohol out of your life! It is a great choice, for your own health and well being as well as that of your children!

Most of us here, practice the My Way Out program. Roberta Jewel has done extensive research on getting drinking under control and/or stopping completely. Many of us will attest to the success of this program, as many of us have lived successfully without a drop for long periods of time. I have not had any alcohol for 90 Days! Before finding MWO, I would not have thought this possible. I say, why try to "reinvent the wheel", when we already have a program that works!

I suggest that you read the MWO book. It is full of all the information you will need, to create a plan that you believe will work best for you. Then make the commitment and stop! Come here and we will support you......read, post and ask questions. Most believe that it is important to begin, one day at a time, until you have 7 days under your belt, then go for thirty days! If you have a slip in the beginning, just begin again, and remember tht all is not lost! We begin again, with counting days, especially during the first 30, only because this truly keeps us Honest with ourselves, as well as each other! My first time working at 30 days, I drank on the 28 day......it about killed me to slip like that. But, the very next day, I started again! I think, in a strange way, that one day, made me even more comitted to my sobriety!

Best Wishes to You!!!
          KateH
          A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

New Here

hi there..aussie1. welcome very nice to meet you for your first day stay busy drink lots fo water like other have said stay close to this site for sopport and when you need help go to chat and post ask all the questions you can think of .we are here for you. so for now be proud of yourself for making the first step. good luck and god bless
            :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
            best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

New Here

See if you can distract yourself somehow for the first 7 days as if you can get that under your belt you will feel so much stronger and you wont want to waste it by drinking. I am on day 9 and feel like a million dollars. Get some good books maybe that you have been meaning to read. Not sure that staying in bed all day is a good idea unless you are actually exhausted as you will have too much time to think about drink or not drink drink or not drink etc. I would eventually give in just to stop the mental argument. Maybe go for a long walk with an ipod so you cant think about it too much. I find going to the movies is also a good distraction - get a nice coffee and some cholocate and relax. If you cant get out of the house see if you can get an exercise bike or some thing like that and jump on it with some loud music if you feel the urge that will get the endorphins going and then you might feel less like drinking. Dont think about the big picture or the long term just that day and then the next and they will just slip by and before you know it a week will be gone by.
              BH

Comment

Working...
              X