Renewing my mind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Renewing my mind

I have come to the conclusion that I have to completely renew my mind. I figured out a big trigger for me yesterday and it is I can't even think of AL. It was so beautiful out yesterday that I couldn't wait for my hubby to come home and we could sit at the end of our dock with a beer just one. Well just thinking of AL made me go and get a beer before he even got home and I ended up having three beers followed by three glasses of wine. I have got to block the thought right out of my mind, because the minute I think about having one, I can't resist it. So again her we go on day one and I'm am not going to think about this afternoon or tomorow but just take it moment by moment, day by day. Good luck to you all and have a happy Wednesday!

Twosox :l

Renewing my mind

I hear you, Twosox! Boy, that is me for sure. If I think about wine at all I'll just go buy a bottle. It's a little easier for me if I don't have it in the house. I'm at day 2 again now and just taking baby steps. Hang in there with me. It was beautiful and sunny here yesterday too. I wanted to sit on the deck with a glass of wine but instead, I went for a swim at the gym. Changing routine also seems to help me. I'll try anything to stay away from AL.
    Good Luck!:l
    When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.
    -- Franklin D Roosevelt --

Comment

Renewing my mind

Hello greenhouse,

I wish I could keep the AL out of my house, but my hubby drinks to, so that is not going to happen. I just have to keep digging deeper for the stength to resist and just STOP thinking about it and take day by day. It's gonna be another beauty here today, but I have to go to work (I'm a subsitute at the school cafe) so that will help for awhile anyway. Good Luck to you today, keep me posted.

Twosox :l

Comment

Renewing my mind

I'm right there with ya two socks. Especially the nice weather, relaxing with the hubby with a coouple of beers and a smoke . Then wandering in the house late to see if the kids have fed themselves, entertained themselves, got their homework done by themselves.....either drink more, or go to bed early cause I'm drunk......NOT ANY MORE--AL!! (I usually call my AL "Uncle ID":tempted:
        Luckily we haven't had too many nice days, but I suppose that's why I can't make myself get out there and get something done--it's too hard to not think about a beer! I'm ok if I stay in the house for now!! Hang in there with me!! 10 days in a row now.
        The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

Renewing my mind

finding these triggers and working on them is a huge step. As to your thoughts on "thinking about drinking" - I think that is a trigger for all of us - good post. So for me - When the idea pops into my brain - I let myself process the anger, sadness or whatever comes up - for the fact that I am NOT going to have a drink - and then poof - the whole feeing is gone. I think with time the "thoughts" are coming less and less. So I am hopeful the eventually they will be "seldom" - like when I quit smoking for 7 years. But with that I learned that "once a smoker" "always a smoker" and I can NEVER EVER think "just one" --- even in 7 years from now.

So learning from our past actions and thoughts is where we change. Good for you. Hope your week is great!

Liv
          AF since Jan. 1, 2008 .... It all began right here

Raise your hopeful voice, you have a choice, you made it now.

(from the Movie "Once")

Comment

Renewing my mind

Triggers (not the horse)

Triggers are the definitely the enemy. All I have to do is THINK of sitting on my deck to admire scenery with a drink in my hand, and I am salivating for a drink and don't really care whether I drink it on my deck or in the cellar. (Fortunately I am able to keep my house AF so I have to go a few blocks to act on my trigger -- hopefully that sometimes gives me time to turn off the switch).

I am trying to rehearse in my mind how I will react when a trigger flips. For example, when a neighbor stops by with wine to share; etc. I am only on day six but I wish us all inspiration and luck. :thanks:
            Matt

Comment

Working...
            X