Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any ideas for Charity anyone?

I think I need to feel busy to feel ok
    I also need to feel like I have made the world a better place today.
    Has anyone ideas as to how we could make our collective energy a better place for us all to live? It has to be better than thinking about drinking.
    Any ideas welcome
    Bandit
    There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning.

can you clarify please. I am slow
    You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

Just asking if there are any ideas as to how to we all could help a charity or something.
      There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning.

Comment

mmm I will start thinking about this, it could turn out to be a great thing.

we should do research. I like the idea of working with children. maybe in places where they don't have many resources.
        You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

Just asking if there are any ideas as to how to we all could help a charity or something.It seems to me that if we could just 'collect' the amount of time (and money) we spend about drinking on something more worthwhile then it has to be worth exploring and possibly would help the motivation
          Bandit

Comment

Habitat for Humanity is my favorite. Qualifying homeowners help with construction, re-pay an interest-free mortgage. Home ownership gives people a new start in life. I love investing in lives that way.
            My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Good idea Sunbeam,
              I have noticed Habitat for Humanity' on the TV programme here, Extrmeme Makeover, but I often feel that maybe the peole that really need it often get left out for one one reason or another. Personally,I am just about hanging on to my house etc. but I often thiink abiut those who really have nothing at all - I genuinely believe if we would be abke to gather some energy we could actually do something great about it - what if we just decided to lobby for something?
              Any ideas welcome,
              Bandit

Comment

For me personally, I want to volunteer time, because I have no extra money right now.. money I would have spent on drinking goes to food etc. I have an application to volunteer at a local animal shelter..

Other than that, I like World Vision, sponsoring a child living in horrible conditions where even a little every month helps the entire community...
                P.S. You can't love if you don't love yourself... :heart:

As you wander through life, sister/brother, whatever be your goal, keep your eye upon the donut, and not upon the hole.
                - Sign in the Mayflower Coffee Shop, Chicago

Comment

Bandit,
                  I did charity work for a number of years.
                  I volunteered to 'help out' an elderly lady that was visually impaired.
                  I had to have training as far as how to deal with a person that has sight problems (don't move any furniture, how to lead by the arm etc) and then I was taken out and introduced to some elderly people.
                  The lady I ended up visiting was called Ethel and was in her late eighties.
                  I always left her house feeling like I had made her day a little happier.
                  Sometimes all I would do was chat with her and clean her nails.
                  It is very rewarding and yes, does put your own life, worries and insecurities into perspective.

Amelia
                  Amelia

Sober since 30/06/10

Comment

I myself work with kids to get them motivated to help in the community. This way it is not just me, but the future generation as well. They usually have these types of programs at the YWCA.
                    Goal 1: Today
                    Goal 2: Tomorrow

Comment

Bandit,
                      You might check with your own community resources to find a charity that you can embrace. Something that really touches you! Tutoring at risk, children, working with the elderly. "Green" organizations, animal rescue, etc. The choices are truly endless.

As for myself, I work about 50 hours a week and spend time with my granddaughters and my family. But, I also support a couple of charities that are dear to my heart with both time and money. Most of the money that I help to raise is through fund raising events. Once you get started, you will find it extremely rewarding!

Best Wishes,
                      Kate
                      A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

Working...
                      X