OK, I'm In

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, I'm In

for weekday abstinence. Is that a decent start? I'd like to just enjoy wine with my husband on the weekends, but it's been months since we did that. He's on board, anxious for me to come around, actually. We're just those drinkers, especially me, that start at dinner, and polish off a bottle of wine, or bit more, by myself. Every night, usually. Thinking that weekday abstinence would be a good start at moderating. Thoughts? Also, am just coming up on "witching hour" in my house (5 pm here in the south), and I know I'm going to have an itchy uncorking finger...tips on plowing through?
    :new:

OK, I'm In

hello 4tops
    Whatever your objective is it is good to cut down on the AL so sure thats a great start. You are probaby over your withching hour by now so hope you made it through ok. If you read the posts on here you will find that lots of people initally thought they could moderate but plenty have found that they cant in fact do that. It all depends on your own personal circumstances and behaviour. People here seem to think the L-glut at wine o'clock helps. Also coming on here helps as a distraction and joining in chat at wine o'clock is a good distraction too but people are on different time zones.
    HOPE U MAKE IT THROUGH.
    BH

Comment

OK, I'm In

Thoughts on moderating

Hi and welcome to MWO::welcome:

Great start posting your intentions and asking for help. That's an important step. There is LOTS of good reading on this site, and if you've not done so, reading Roberta Jewell's book is also very inspiring, especially if your goal is moderation. There are also very informative threads on the Mods forums about "what is mods' etc. We do have a small group who check in pretty regularly on the Monthly Mods forum if you'd like to check that out.

I came here last fall and looked around , and started the program in January and feel I have a new life, with me in control instead of alcohol in control. But getting there was some work. Breaking the habit of drinking every day was a tough one for me; I read the abstinence threads for inspiration and ideas, followed my heart and took it one day at a time, collected as many AF days in the first months as I could. It was work: after the first month I decided to try the supps and Topomax and that made it a lot easier.

So you CAN do it. Just read, read, read and post, because the support and wisdom available on this site is phenomenal!

Again, WELCOME. Glad you're here!

AFH

So

Comment

OK, I'm In

Wow, this place is supportive. Thanks.

Comment

OK, I'm In

4tops! You could be me. You are pretty much describing my modus operandi when it comes to drinking. Can take it or leave it during the day but the wine uncorking hour is my downfall. I've been on here a while and I've got more alcohol free days under my belt than I thought possible. I still drink too much too but those days are less and I am constantly aware of controlling my drinking. I use the ODAT (One Day at A Time) thread to help me focus on each day as it comes and I try to have a strategy in place for the evening to help me through. I also fill in the drink tracker as your mind tells you all sorts of things about your drinking that are not necessarily right. The drink tracker tells it how it is!!

I think you will need to accept that you will need to put a lot of effort into it and be vigilant but the high you will get from achieving your goals will be worth it. To cope with the cravings I do use L-glut and try to keep myself busy with other things. I find an evening soak in the bath with a pint of water and a good book helps. Not always possible I know but it is a good relaxing diversion for me. The other thing that has helped is no-alcohol wine. I would have poo-pood it at first but it gives me the satisfaction of uncorking and filling the glass. Funny how I never want to finish a bottle of AF wine......!! :H

Anyway, the best of luck to you. You obviously want to do it or you wouldn't be here. Keep posting and reading. It all helps.

Bessie xxx

Comment

Working...
          X