Newbie's Night Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie's Night Work

I'm on my 4th day of abstinence and cannot believe it's Thursday and I haven't had a drink since Sunday night . I have been drinking so much for such a long time now, whilst holding down a good job, like so many of you on here. I've been drinking on average 15 beers a day (or the equivalent) and although am still thinking about it but not really wanting it which is mindblowing!

One of the best things is just having the freedom to get in the car and go for a drive - I am so loving that. I haven't been able to do that for ages as generally when I'm not working my drinking has started in the morning.

I'm a graphics designer (in the UK) and work overnight 3 nights a week, so as of tomorrow night I've got to swap everything around to fit in with my working hours (3 12 hour shifts) - has anyone got any suggestions or tips on best way to do this considering I wake up as per normal Friday morning - I hope this makes sense and I'm not being too confusing in my newly alcohol-free state of mind :lol

Newbie's Night Work

Wow you sound like me, except for the night work thing. I'm about 4 days ahead of you on the program. Isn't it cool going from a ton 'o beer on a daily basis to none?!?!? I think about it as well, and I think sometimes "I'll get a beer in a few minutes" and then a couple of hours later I realize I'd forgotten all about getting that beer!!!! I'm going for moderation, but seem to have inadvertantly hit abstinence by mistake. Not that I mind, after all that drinking I'd cheerfully take either! Are you having insomnia? If you are, like me, then you might not have to worry too much about adjusting your schedule :eek Good luck on the new life!!

Comment

Newbie's Night Work

aandih.....

Awesome job!

May I ask a question? I drink..was drinking about 15 beers or so a day and have just started the sups and CD's 3 days ago...no Topa.

I have still been drinking but my drinking want/need seems to be declining.

I am wondering if you just picked a day and said "this is it..not drinking after this day"

Or..did you try and taper down?

Thanks!

Pete

Comment

Newbie's Night Work

I waited til I got absolutely everything - the supps, the cds, the topa (even waiting until the pill box arrived). It did take a while as everything had to be shipped to Uk and I didn't really synchronise anything - delaying tactics I suppose. Then I had no more excuses also I had to justify the amount of money I'd spent! Not that spending money pouring beer down my neck has bothered me enough to stop before . I wish I could have cut down but it wasn't happening and the calories in that amount of beer was really starting to take effect and my tongue has been getting nastier and nastier looking >D .

I can't believe I stumbled on this whole programme, I saw a tiny little piece in a magazine about kudzu and Googled it... I just believed in what I was reading. I know I have a real problem with drink but no way was I going to an AA meeting and to contemplate the rest of my life not ever having another drink again is just too grim. I'm not saying that I won't fall off but I'm damned at the moment if I'm going to fail at four days, maybe four weeks but no way four days!! Last week I drank enough beer to sink 10 ships so just thinking of that quantity somehow takes the edge off (and believe me I LOVE the taste of beer!).

I agree with the insomnia thing, it really hit me last night but due to my unconventional working hours, it doesn't really bother me and I'm lucky enough that I can catch up with a nap in the afternoon! I was more concerned about timing of supps/medication/cds when I work - not such a problem when I'm only on low dosage of topa, but bit concerned about when dosage increases and when to take it/side effects etc. Just got to go with it I suppose and it's good so far.

In less than an hour's time it'll be four whole days - I feel so proud of myself as I'm doing it pretty much unsupported (only one person knows what the programme is all about) as noone knows I have a problem. My dog is my alternative support!

Good thoughts.

Andrea

Comment

Newbie's Night Work

Well done! All of you! Andrea, Hatter and Pete! And welcome to MWO! I don't have much to say, you all seem to be doing well, but I just wanted to chime into the thread and wish you well and good luck. You are getting a good start. Hope you will keep reading and posting. There is a lot of support here, although I agree, Andrea, that you will never get more unconditional support than from your dog!:lol

Take care all, and keep up the good work!

Kathy

Comment

Newbie's Night Work

Kathy, thanks for the support. God knows I need it. This program (and the folks here) has been wonderful so far!!

Tony

Comment

Working...
            X