Phew! A close one....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Phew! A close one....

Boy have I struggled tonight....! On autopilot doing everything as my brain was 110% preoccupied with that bloody struggle with Al. Took L'Glut - no effect! Panic! Came on here to chat but it was a bit quiet (hope to catch up with you another time Greeny) .......and then found 1/2 a bottle of non al white in the fridge. Hallelujah! It totally did the trick. I had lots of other al in the house but my 'need' was for wine. And it didn't seem to matter a jot to my brain that it was Alcohol free. How odd are our brains?!! Or is it just mine!?? :H:H. I remembered a bottle of Al free red and have opened that too. Half way down the bottle, doing what I normally do when I am hitting the real stuff but in the happy and certain knowledge that I am not drunk. I realise I don't even want to be drunk I just want to drink wine!! I have put a zero in my drink tracker and am off to bed. Night all.

Bessie xx

Phew! A close one....

Great job Bessie!
    Marcie

Comment

Phew! A close one....

Fabulous Bessie, sorry... I am at work. The hole. I found my cell phone. Lucky me. Drinking decaf tea with honey.
      sigpic
      Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Phew! A close one....

I gotta try some of that...........heard about it, have tried AF beer which is pretty good. The amber version I like the best, but if it fools your brain?! It just re-inforces my belief that a lot of it is out of habit, and routine.
        Had to do some Continuing Ed for work and chose Addictions. The first sentence in the book was "Addictions are nothing more than habits taken to the extreme". Not sure I believe that but it was an interesting comment.

Comment

Phew! A close one....

Bessie...I had the same exact experience myself tonight!!!!! I had a great day and then I got edgy and angry and started craving beer for absolutely no reason at all. It all happened in a matter of moments. I went to the store and got some AF beer and it did the trick. It must be my brain wanting the sugar and flavor or something because I didn't feel I wanted to get drunk. I just felt like drinking beer.

War of the mind(s)!

Comment

Phew! A close one....

Good for you for not giving up and caving into the monster!!!!!:goodjob:

Comment

Phew! A close one....

I use AF beer or a grape spritzer as a 'treat'. Just a glass at the end of a day w ith my meal. Thing to avoid is using it to reinforce old behaviours - sinking 5 AF beers each night and you're going to get used to it, then the idea a 'shandy' will be ok creeps in - then just one beer.

Use appropriately.

Well done for getting through the craving spot.

Comment

Phew! A close one....

That's an interesting point UKB. If I had just had the 1/2 bottle of white as a treat that would have been ok but opening the second bottle, although revelling in the fact that it was AF, was almost reinforcing, certainly echoing, my problem behaviour so I take your point on board - especially as you have been into detox and must have a far better understanding of how these things work. I'll give this one some thought...and find an alternative liquid and/or an alternative way of drinking it that doesn't replicate my behaviour with wine.

Bessie xx

Comment

Phew! A close one....

Well done Bessie, you gotta beat those dog days honey. Don't worry, your not on your own will the odd brain thing going on, I've got a feeling there's a lot of that going about, myself included.

:goodjob:

want
                  :l
                  AF since April 8th 2008 :kudos::rays:

Snake....... come crawling,
                  There's fire in your eyes,
                  Bite me, excite me,
                  I'll learn to realize.

The poison transmuted,
                  Brings eternal flame.
                  Open me to heaven,
                  To heal me again.

Comment

Phew! A close one....

I would like to say that I think it is good we can voice our opinions here.

For me personally I have drunk af wine and beer every night for the last 362 nights (maybe one bottle of af wine ...maybe 3...maybe 1 can of af beer maybe 8 !! woo - hoo do you think I am a BAD person and 'at-risk' of drinking alcohol again ...?) BUT it has NOT made me want to drink the real thing - alcoholic wine or beer !

I do feel that calling alcohol (the substance that some of us here are addicted to) 'al' or 'alice' is less
                    helpful than drinking af wine or beer.

If I walked round my house all night or sat in the chair muttering 'I hate al/alice' wouldn't my family fear for my sanity? I cannot spend hours on here either as some are 'wont' to do.
                    It would not be a good role model for my children to hear me saying I hate some 'one' either (would they remember it means alcohol - I don't think they would).

So please give opinions but understand that you are speaking from personal experience or a relatives experience (unless you are a qulaified medical doctor or counsellor) and like the tv programme has as its title 'diff'rent strokes' - for different folks.

Just my honest opinion !

Heavenly
                    ?We are one another's angels?
                    Sober since 29/04/2007

Comment

Phew! A close one....

Thanks Heavenly. Another interesting perspective on the AF drink issue. Just out of interest do you drink your alcohol free wine and beer in the same way you drank alcoholic drinks? Or has your pattern of consumption changed? It is good to hear that it hasn't made you want to drink alcohol. I can see that being the way for me. It ticked so many boxes for me that alcohol normally does that it really doesn't seem to matter that it doesn't have alcohol in it.

But another consideration for perhaps not using the AF wines all the time is the expense. Here in the UK they are easily the same cost as a bottle of real wine. Other drinks could work out a lot cheaper with the AF wines being kept for special days.

More food for thought...... is good.

B xx

Comment

Phew! A close one....

Good for you heavenly!

Public board pls!

Croft;316047 wrote: Good for you for not giving up and caving into the monster!!!!!:goodjob:
                        Do you know who you are?

Comment

Working...
                        X