Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

topo or not topo

Hey all!

I still haven't started this program, but am psyching myself up. I have to get through a visit with my wine-o brother who is passing through town tomorrow, and hopefully the supps will arrive next week (keeping my fingers crossed). But I have a question. There are a number of you out there who have been quite successful, and I love hearing all the positive talk. But how many of you who have had a good set of AF days are doing it without the Topomax?? After Jane's posting, and her experience with the drug, I wonder if I should not make a bigger effort to go on it. Even if it means a walk-in clinic doctor. I was going to try without it, just the supps, Kudzu and cd's, but am very afraid that won't be enough. Oh - I think I can be strong for a couple of days, but as soon as I start to feel really good, that's when I want the wine - maybe craving it, yes?? So I am a bit afraid of failing and maybe the drug is the ticket. (Also, I would love to shed this excess weight - as per usual!!) Anyone up for an AF May???

Also, that AF wine I hear some of you mention. Does anybody know what brands or whatever there are up here in Canada that are good? Do they really taste like wine? Or fruit juice??? I will need something to "fit in" when I go on that running/drinking escapade I am doing in May, and AF beer I can only drink so much of. I don't want too many questions from those booze hounds!!

Any advise would be great!!!!!
    Tata to all!
    Peanut

topo or not topo

I bought the topo but don't use it... I tried if for 2 days this month and I just don't like it. If it works, I worry that I will not be able to do AF without it.

I have been on the program since January 18 - I use the hypno and the supps. Have not started exercising yet but am now planning that as my May thing to do. Going AF for almost 30 days in January (I drank at a wedding one night - can't remember what day it was)..anyway, going AF was very, very easy for me using the Hypno & the supps so I never felt the need to try the Topo. Modded in February and have been AF in April. Others have had good sucess, however, with the Topo. Check out the 'Topomax..' etc. board - there are some informative posts there. I also think it depends on how much you drink prior to stopping - I drank 3/4 a bottle of wine a night and more on the weekends.

"Bessie" drinks AF wine a lot - you might PM her or view her ODAT threads -- she starts a new thread every day. I have not tried them myself, but if you google 'Non Alcholic Wine' you can find a place that will sell it online.

Hope that helps - Good luck to you!

Comment

topo or not topo

Peanut ~ welcome.

I never used meds to quit. I agree with Happy that it really depends on what you drank and how much. I don't have med insurance so I couldn't even consider Topa (or the like). I also couldn't afford supps until last month and I have been here since Dec.

I am AF 123 days. But that does not mean you should not use it. I just didn't have a choice. I've heard alot of good things about it. It keeps some away from the booze, but a lot do not like how they feel when they take it. Again, I have to agree with Happy, and advise you to read the special threads regarding the meds. You will find a lot more data and info on it.

I just thought I'd let you know it is possible to get sober without it. But you have to figure your own way out. Whatever works for you.

Good luck!

Love, Me
      :l
      Alcohol is simply the device between success and failure.

Comment

topo or not topo

Hi Peanut, and welcome!

I am another one who am now over 100 days without alcohol without the drugs. I chose to do this without them, simply because I try not to take any medication unless it is absolutely neccessary. I also know that many here have had great success with them. It really is an individual choice. But, I definitely believe that reading the MWO book and taking the supps, along with meditation was extremely helpful. But I also must say, that we have to work hard and avert the "Urge to Drink". We have to make a strong stand, and decide to not drink. Wishing and Thinking about not drinking just doesn't work. Most of us spent a lot of time, thinking about not drinking, and trying not to drink, only to prove to ourselves that this does not work!

You can do it! Best wishes!
        Kate
        A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

topo or not topo

Thanks guys!
          I bought a bottle of red AF wine at the grocery store yesterday and will have to try it out. I am still undecided about the topa, but it seems that one of the side effects is to make one rather brainless???? Not sure if I could handle that in my line of work - I actually have to think! I am going to try doing without.
          Peanut

Comment

Working...
          X