Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Q: Is the MWO book really worth reading/buying?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have read a lot of alcohol books including AA's big book. Non of them inspired me and I admit that this fact may simply say something about me that i don't understand. Is the MWO book different/useful. I see may of you think it important.
    Matt

Matt...you don't even have to buy it......go to the Health Store here, and you can download it....I think it's around $12.....I don't know about you, but I used to spill that much on a good night.....

Don

Comment

Matt,

It's a quick read as it is only about 88 pages. It downloads almost instantly so don't worry about the time it will take. You need the Adobe software, but that can be downloaded for FREE.

Good Luck!

Love, Me
      :l
      Alcohol is simply the device between success and failure.

Comment

Hey ya Matt,

I read the book in a day. I thought it was very helpfull. I thought some of the sups outlined were pretty good for the first couple weeks too. I've never read the AA book only some others involving curbing self distructive behav.

How are you doing?? Wondered where you had been latey.... Read some of the posts from late last week and got the picture. I'm glad you know what you need to do. Dang-it, the first couple weeks are hard but it does get better. You can get through them!!

On my way
        Was an alcoholic yesterday, an alcoholic today and will still be an alcoholic tomorrow..... but I'm in charge now!

Comment

thats good to know and i will download -- how did it help you, or did it? i am just curious?
          Matt

Comment

Thanks on Way

Well I had been sober 9 days then went to a family funeral in Florida where i was no longer participating in My way. So I decided to have a glass of wine -- in repetition our of 2 bottles of big wine, as it turned out. Then I got back home and escalated into vodka for 2 or 3 days. On Friday, thank God, I got a grip. The vodka binge left me pretty wiped out and feeling low and hateful, not to say devoid of hope again.

But got back on MWO and slow, slow am building a bit of confidence. I still feel bad mentally and physically but it is letting up a bit at time. I will also say that I am really scared that I have a very good chance wasting the rest of my life in physical and mental pain due to alcoholism. Perhaps more scared of that then at any past time.

My fear is real and rational. And I can thank MWO for giving me that clarity of thought. Never, never before have I ever gotten such a clear picture of what a dangerous spot i am in with my alcohol. And I have been through counselors, school penalties, family fights, psychologists, psychiatrists, family telling me to stop, losing friends, AA on and off for years.

The difference is that MWO tells it clearly and you can actually see what you are doing to your self due to the fear and generosity others put down here on the site. Thanks for asking, hope you are doing very well -- right now I am on day 5 still feeling somewhat depressed, frightened and shaky -- but here I am building some hope too.
            Matt

Comment

Matthen, Yes the book is inspirational .........

If you subscribe you will get the book free and also free kudzu which is excellent for cravings .....
              sigpicXXX

Comment

Day 5 is fantastic, Matt....

At day 5, you are almost over the physical withdrawl part.....and that is great. Make a promise to yourself that this is the last time you are ever going to go through this.

Stay focused on your goal....to be alcohol free. To be done with the struggle.

I learned the only way to beat The Beast was to never step into the ring with him....

You're doing great, Matt....eat right, drink lots of water, and get as much exercise as you can right now. It's all about healing and replenishing your body...

Don

Comment

Matt,
                  That's a decision you have to make by yourself....I've been to AA meetings, read books, etc. I personnelly was inspired by this book. It gave me a Haven..that I could pull myself into ! It was down to earth....no demanding rules or steps. Read, and see ! IAD Welcome !
                  ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
                  those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
                  Dr. Seuss

Comment

Matthen,

I want to add my recommendation for the book. Even though I am one of those for whom moderation is absolutely not in the cards, the book talks about the supplements, the meds, research, etc, and is a really good place to start.

Also, there is a link on the front page about updates to the supps and meds that I saved.

One other thing. Like Chief says, "It is best not to step into the ring with the beast."

However, (while it is not okay to slip, it does happen) as you go down the road remember one important thing. A slip is a slip, if you ever step outside of the AF side of things again, remember that there is no reason you need to make it a relapse or a binge. You can go "damn" and jump right back to it.

What I am trying to say is another one of Chief's wonderfully intelligent and down-to-earth sayinsgs, "It is easier to quit than to keep quitting." The sooner you rein yourself in, the less harm you will do to your body, your mind and your soul.

That said, one other thing they kept telling me in rehab was, "Relapse is not a requirement." I sure wish I had listened!! It would have saved months of grief.

I am so happy you have found MWO and feel such optimism about getting back to health and recovering. It is ALWAYS a good time to quit drinking.

Love,
                    Cindi
                    AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Hey Matt-

Way to go on those 5 days!!! I, too, suffer terribly when I drink. And have also had a family situation away from home (too early in my AF if you ask me), which, um, 'helped' me to have antoher 'learning experience' :upset:

The MWO book was very helpful to me - not just with facts and info- but in laying out the overall MWO "approach". The toughest part I think is that it's self-directed. In other words - you read the book, figure out your plan and then use this site to support it. It's ALL up to YOU, and in a way - that's the good news AND the bad news LOL!!! Being super motivated is key - and it sounds like you've got a lock on that!!

You CAN do it Matt. I hear your determination. I know how happy you were feeling AF - those good vibes, and many many more, will be back soon. Just keep reading, posting, and telling AL to F&*# OFF!!!!

Love WW xox

Comment

Matt............yes..............and you just keep on coming back here.
                        Hugs Lori
                        *Definition of Insanity: doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result* Albert Einstein

Comment

Matt--better late than never I hope. I'm so glad you're feeling better. By now you've probably already read the book. I can't recommend it enough. I still refer to mine, and someday I will read it again.
                          Hang in there, you're doing great!!
                          The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

Working...
                          X