Trying Hard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying Hard

I just managed to read all the responses to my original email, and I am touched by the consideration and understanding that everyone has expressed. Briefly, I am the mother of 3 beautiful children, one with autism and a wonderful husband, who cannot for the life of him understand the addiction. He tries so hard and is not judgemental, although, I feel his having to "step up to the plate" when I am drunk is getting to him. I have now limited my drinking to 1/2 pint of vodka every couple of days and a couple 2 or 3 beers every other night. The only way I was able to do this was with the help of my Dr. who prescribed 4 days worth of valium to help with any withdrawl symptoms I would have had. Not to mention I had to go to work as well. Anyway, I would like to get rid of the alcohol for good. I think in my case that is for the best. Any suggestions? I find since I have been drinking less my family life has been a little calmer, as calm as it can be under the circumstances. By the way, prior to this I would drink a pint of vodka and close to a bottle of wine per night. Thanks for listening. I recall reading about a mother also who drank vodka thoughout the day to survive and it gave her energy, so to speak, I totally understand that. I hope you are doing well. Thanks

Trying Hard

Aussie ~ yes, our home lives see immediate results when we stop drinking. You are not alone.

If you have not already, I would say get the book and get yourself some vitamins and supplements asap. They really do help.

Keep posting and read as many of the threads as you have time for. There is a lot of inspiration and support here.

Best wishes. We are here for you.

Love, Me
    :l
    Alcohol is simply the device between success and failure.

Comment

Trying Hard

Hi Aussie, It's a quiet Saturday morning around here I'd like to suggest that you look into the supplements and the kudzu and the hypno CDs and the Book. Valium is not going to be the answer. You could brew up some hops tea (Yes, the stuff they make beer from) It's calming, relaxing, helps you sleep, zero calories and not addictive with no side effects. Sounds like you have every reason in the world to stop drinking. All of us have good reasons, but small children and a loving husband and your wonderful self are primo!!:h g.

Comment

Trying Hard

Hi Aussie,
        After falling flat for 2 days during the week and having a terrible hangover I decided to use Antabuse continiously for at least two weeks. This is a huge commitment as I always stopped the Antabuse when I knew a drinking occasion was coming up.
        I have 3 beautiful kids and 2 grandchildren - like the AA big book states: this is an insanity that only another alcoholic can understand.
        Best of everything.
        Jessie
        make the least of the worst, and the most of the best - everyday.

Comment

Trying Hard

Hi Aussie. It sounds like you have managed to cut back a pretty good amount. That's a great start. Does it seem like it would be impossible to try to commit to 30 days of no alcohol and see how it goes. Sometimes you just have to jump in and really go for it.
          I have found that when I just cut down it was really difficult because it would just make me want more and more. Taking the option off the table of having anything can actually be easier. I totally understand about the home life being much calmer. I absolutely saw this happen with me. Hang in there, you really can do this. We are here for you. Aquamarine
          NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF YOUR OWN DETERMINATION
          AF SINCE 3/16/2016

Comment

Trying Hard

Hi Aussie. I taught autistic children so I understand the challenge it can be. And we can easily fall into the alcohol pattern of medicating of our challenges, whatever they may be. And it grows without us noticing for a while. That's great that you cut back. Keep on that path. Little less, little less often, etc. Supplements are helpful. Good luck. Lots of people here to give you support.
            sigpic
            Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Trying Hard

Hello Aussie,
              I agree - give the program a try. This site and the kudzu really work!
              Gelgit - how does hops tea taste???? Never heard of it!
              Peanut

Comment

Trying Hard

Hi Aussie, welcome from a fellow countrywoman. I used Campral VERY successfully which I had perscribed by my local GP. There are also drug and alcohol services you can ring and they will give you help if you ask for it. It's been 18 months since I stopped drinking - it CAN BE DONE!

Trust me, life is so much better without it.
                It always seems impossible until it's done....

Comment

Trying Hard

Thanks for all your understanding - I agree abouth the medication, valium. Someone once described it to me as a "drink in a pill"! Sometimes one just wants to forget, although you wake up and the problem is still there, I think there must be a better way of dealing with stress and everyday issues than this. Just a brief not to my fellow countryman - our culture is so enabling, my Father now only 55 has been moderating his drinking for the past 3 years, although sometimes finds it difficult at the RSL!!!

Comment

Trying Hard

sorry that was note to my fellow countryman

Comment

Trying Hard

Aussie1;322290 wrote: Thanks for all your understanding - I agree abouth the medication, valium. Someone once described it to me as a "drink in a pill"! Sometimes one just wants to forget, although you wake up and the problem is still there, I think there must be a better way of dealing with stress and everyday issues than this. Just a brief not to my fellow countryman - our culture is so enabling, my Father now only 55 has been moderating his drinking for the past 3 years, although sometimes finds it difficult at the RSL!!!
                      It is not just Oz. AL is legal and very socially acceptable. *I* think that makes it difficult for many people to admit they have issues with AL. We want to 'fit in' but inside we know we
                      cannot. I have known this about myself for many years but always gave in to fit in. No more. I was only hurting myself. :hitme:

Comment

Working...
                      X