Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

7 weeks to sobriety

Hi
    I have been reading the above book by Joan Larson. Was just wondering if anyone else had and if they had any opinions? I thought it was all very good until I got to the bits where it said no sugar, no coffee, no chocolate, no dairy, no white bread, no cakes and thought well fat lot of chance I have on achieving this! Esp if I'm trying to give up AL as well!
    I found it very interesting to find out the different 'sorts' of alcoholism. It did make sense to me especially the cravings side when the hypoglycemia kicks in.
    I still think MWO is the best treatment I have found- realistic and achievable
    Eviexx
    Jesus said"Come unto me, all you who labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
    Take My yoke upon you and learn from me for I am gentle and lowly in heart and you will find rest for your souls.
    For my yolk is easy and My burden is light
    "

7 weeks to sobriety

I've never read that one; but I completely agree about MWO being the best treatment... as far as having to give up chocolate, dairy and cake..forget it! Life is too short to cut out everything.

Comment

7 weeks to sobriety

read it finally

It seems too difficult to do, just like you said..................I couldn't tolerate giving up all the goodies!! BUT the vitamin supplementation etc. is pretty good advice...............(I think!)

Good luck!

MA:l:l:h:h
      :rays:My happiness is my greatest gift to others:rays:eace:

Comment

7 weeks to sobriety

Whoops!
        Just realised there is a seperate section on reading books- sorry!
        Eviex
        Jesus said"Come unto me, all you who labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
        Take My yoke upon you and learn from me for I am gentle and lowly in heart and you will find rest for your souls.
        For my yolk is easy and My burden is light
        "

Comment

7 weeks to sobriety

Evie,
          I just picked up this book from the library yesterday. I read it about 15 years ago; long before the internet, and found the vits/supps overwhelming. However, Beatle highly recommended it, as well asthe Health Recovery Center and its accompanying website (she has a link in one of her recent posts) so I thought that perhaps the newer edition was worth a second look. I do understand trying to keep the sugar at bay, but last night I was hemming and hawing for 20 mins about having a small bite of chocolate before bed. Finally I decided that since I had gone 2 nights AL, that a bit of Hershey's wasn't going to send me to cravng hell!

Keep the comments coming as you/we continue to read, though (maybe in the book forum, though

Comment

7 weeks to sobriety

Yes I have read it!!
            It is quite hard core as far as regimes go. I do think that there is a link between sugars and caffiene being triggers to drink. As far as I can remember they affect your blood sugar in similar ways as alcohol, so therefore are 'hooks' that can trigger a relapse.
            Very interesting read though.
            Amelia

Sober since 30/06/10

Comment

7 weeks to sobriety

Hi Evie

Evie, I am so with Cowgirl in the point about forget the BS about sugar, coffee, chocolate, etc. Just concentrate on sober, if you can. Right now I have 12 days after an incredibly long drinking career. In those days I have been relying on antabuse, which I must admit is wonderful -- for me that is. But also right now I am having a cup of coffee as I write --- With Sugar in it . Come to this wonderful site and post often and read the stories of other's. It is a huge, huge incentive and help. Best to you,
              Matt

Comment

7 weeks to sobriety

You might be surprised if you gave up these things how much it cuts your cravings.

Comment

7 weeks to sobriety

The problem is that many if not most (some sites say 100%) of problem drinkers are hypoglycemic. They used to think it was caused by drinking, but now some think that the hypoglycemia is a precurser. Alcohol works like sugar, but faster an more efficiently, which is why some use it to get out of the hypoglycemic "low". This might partly explain the "withcing hour" at 5 just before dinner.

You can Google "Why some hypoglycemics prefer alcohol as their main source of energy (somehting like that. I'll try to find the precise title.)..Anyway, that being said, i used to brag that I hadn't had a craving for sugar for years. Guess what happened when I stopped drinking at the beginning of May?

What I'm doing at the moment is moderating my sugar intake, cutting down on "white" things (rice, white bread, potatoes) and stick to complex carbohydrates, and trying to eat several meals a day at regular intervals. I'm still having a half teaspoon of sugar with my coffee in the morning. Once I get a few more AF "runs" in I plan to ease off the simple carbs a bit more. Just a warning: don't try to do low carb (RJ recommends against it too). You need the B vitamins found in brown bread and grains.

B.
                  Anything I can Believe, I can Achieve!

Comment

7 weeks to sobriety

Good advice Believer. I think you sum up the conversation pefectly!

Comment

7 weeks to sobriety

I agree with Believer. I am not a chocolate fan but I'm not giving up my Mango jam. As long as you are not drinking AL you are winning.

The low carb diet is B.S. there is noting wrong with complex carbohydrates just cut back on the simple over processed white ones and avoid over processed foods in general.

Comment

7 weeks to sobriety

Believer,
                        I'm still having a hard time connecting this hypoglycemia and AL thing...and I have been doing a lot of reading (both googling and books). Not sure what is high or low, up or down (including my moods!!) I imagine part of the 5:00 thing is that we ought to be eating a snack instead of drinking one.

Comment

7 weeks to sobriety

CS04;330749 wrote: Believer,
                          I'm still having a hard time connecting this hypoglycemia and AL thing...and I have been doing a lot of reading (both googling and books). Not sure what is high or low, up or down (including my moods!!) I imagine part of the 5:00 thing is that we ought to be eating a snack instead of drinking one.
                          I agree 100% eat whatever you want at 5 it will be better than AL and you won't get a hang over. :hijacked:

Comment

7 weeks to sobriety

I actually did go on the program a couple of years ago. The supp's are really expensive. I believe it was around $700 for the first order but I did get a lot of quality items. It was really hard to manage all of the supps because you take various things 6 times per day. The program didn't work for me for some reason. It was really based on the diet (which was impossible to follow) and taking the supps. I truly think the MWO program is much better.

Comment

7 weeks to sobriety

awesome book ive read it many times and it has kept me sober for 11-3/4 months out of the year for many years.im 50 now and drank heavily daily for many years.The core of all addictions is in the HPA axis and im convinced the absolute cure for many addictions will come from the rapidly advancing brain imaging and mapping technologies.Best of luck to you please give the supplements a try they will help immensely.

Comment

Working...
                              X