New

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New

Hi dazzle :welcome: I'm in UK too and only joined last week.

You may find that once you progress that you are able to moderate your drinking. Some people are fortunate enough to do that. I am on day 2 AF and I am going to have a bash at going the 30 AF. I still don't know if I will be able to moderate. I will cross each bridge as I come to it. I have in the past gone AF for about 5 days at a time but have always felt that I was in control again. The reality is that I'm not.

Your age is on your side and a new marriage to not ruin over your drinking. At 28 and without the responsibility of small children yet this is a golden opportunity for you to alter the direction of your future happiness.

At 28 I drank ( a lot) socially and felt that it was acceptable as I was doing the same as everyone else in my circle. It creeps up and swallows you in until you find yourself drinking alone in doors as your circumstances change - kids, too expensive to go out etc.

Keep posting.

J x
    sigpic

Comment

New

welcome Dazzle - you are going to be so glad you found this site... enjoy the journey. love cedar x

Comment

New

Just ordered the book so feel positive!

A big problem of mine is that my hubby works shifts and I work normal hours. I am a professional and so don't feel I can be completely honest about my drinking with my friends/family. I tend to be at home in the evenings a lot on my own and end up hitting the phone and also the vino!

If I am out and about with friends in the week it tends to revolve around drinking but I think I am the driving force behind that to be honest. People EXPECT me to be drinking and it would almost feel odd no to!

Anything familiar?? Not sure how to overcome it! x

Comment

New

I'm new too

Day #2. It seems so easy early in the morning.

I just got back some blood test results on Saturday and my liver enzymes were sky high. I have always wondered what my liver must look like after drinking lots of wine for over 40 years. Anyway, it was unassailable proof that my drinking is going to truly impact my health in the future.

So all my thoughts about quitting were solidified, in fact I had come across this program a week before and had already ordered the book. So here I go. Won't have the acutal program for a week or so, but I'm going AF immediately.

I remember when my kids were in 2nd and 4th grades, the school did an alcohol education class for them. My kids did not check beer and wine as being alcohol - more like coke or milk. Ooooh boy!

Having actual proof (the blood tests) will make this a little easier, I think. It has been so hard to quit in the past because it was so fun to drink and it didn't really impact my life in any bad ways, other that the occasional fight with my husband. I could live with that so easy, but now I have been wondering what in the world I am doing....My health is very important to me at this point in my life. I'll be 61 next week, and would like to be around to meet my grandchildren some day.

I think for anyone trying to stop or decrease alcohol it might be helpful to educate yourself about what it does to your liver.

On to day 3......

Judy

Comment

Working...
          X