Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did any of you reduce the amount of alcohol before quitting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have done this before. When I had really overdone it binging, I would drink "just 6" the next day and then either quit the day after that or go down to 3-4 beers, then 1-2 beers until off. I want to get back to not drinking during the week and perhaps only 1-2 drinks on the weekend. I was pretty disciplined for a few months, not drinking in excess, until something happened over the weekend and I got into it big time. Now, I already wasted 4 days of not working out (I run and lift weights because I have to stay fit in the military). Any thoughts on the cutting down rather than cold turkey? Is it easier to "ease" yourself out of excessive drinking or quit abruptly and suffer from the extreme hangover? What do you all think?

GermanGirl,

Some here have successfully weaned down to avoid having to go to the doctor and get meds to detox.

I tried it and pretty much just weaned up to drinking more and more.

If you are not in any danger from physical withdrawal symptoms, I would bet cold turkey is easier.

Just my 2 cents.

Cindi
    AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Germangirl,

I had a similar experience to Cindi. I had a plan to reduce and followed it very closely until I was down to only a couple of drinks per day. Then something kicked in and told my mind and body to start consuming again. I ended up drinking more than when I originally started. It happened twice to me so I decided to go cold turkey and it has worked much better.

Comment

I had to slow down until I got to just a few beers a day and even then I had whithdrawl.If you slowly stop your body will not be so stressed.Set a day and stick to it .We are all here for you.Keep posting.....Evie
        sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

It is possible for some people to wean themselves off alcohol gradually and minimise withdrawl effects. It is easy though to use it an excuse to continue drinking and if say y ou think you are an alcoholic then each drink you take, no matter how controlled can build up future loss of control/set off bigger cravings.

So, give it a go - it's a massive decision to stop drinking and see what you think.

Comment

Hi Germangirl

I tried cutting down the number of drinks and failed miserably. Cold turkey worked fine for me, but then I didn't really have withdrawal symptoms. I was drinking a bottle of wine a night if that helps.

Wooflet

Comment

Hi Germangirl - i found the site and thought to also try cutting down which worked for 2 days then i went over board and drank more for 3 days than i had done in a while...that along with making a right tit of myself on one evening after drinking all day - i just STOPPED thats 17 days ago. This site has helped keep focused and strong. I have not suffered any withdrawals at all. I am pouring lots of healthy liquids down my throat - ginger tea, lemon tea, green tea, rooibos (redbush) tea - various combinations of them ... Along with that I have really changed my thinking. I want to live and enjoy life. I want to stay healthy while getting old. I want to remember everything. I want to be in control. .. NONE of which i will achieve if I am drinking AL.

Comment

Working...
              X