I'm new and wondering if I should give this new cure a try

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I stopped drinking at age 40, after finding a note from my husband taped to the bottle I had hidden. It read, "You can be my wife, or you can be a drunk, but you can't be both. Let me know today." I felt like I had just been run over by a truck. I was scared straight that day. He was supportive. He quit drinking for a time as well so I could get my sea-legs. We were both smokers and quit that too.
    We took walks together every day - got up to three miles in a 1/2 hour. He would compliment me on a regular basis by saying "It's good having you back." It wasn't that hard with all his love and support. His mother was an Alcoholic and he had severed all ties with her and he was the best thing that ever happened to me and I wanted to give him that gift. Eventually, I lost all my desire for AL and still had lots of fun and was still the life of the party. Life was good and hubby got a promotion and we moved to our dream house and daughter graduated from high school and went on to college and got engaged to a boy we all loved and 3rd son got a full scholarship to a private college a few states away and our disabled son was leaving high school with 22 hours of paid employment and life was so good that we all went to Jamaica to celebrate and hubby and I were sitting on the sand staring at the moon over the water as the waves crashed on the rocks and hubby leans in and whispers, "You know, I really don't think you're and Alcoholic. I think it was just that 'period' in your life. Come on - nobody comes to Jamaica without eating Jerked Chicken, smoking a Cuban and drinking the Rum...and I said REALLY??? The person who lives me more than anything in the world has just asked me to rejoin him in our most sacred ritual and I accepted. The beginning of the end. It felt, I imagine, like adultery. We came home, planned and executed our daughter's fantasy wedding, our son took off for college life. We had occasional drinks, sometimes more than others. Fast forward to the past couple of years. Our new son-in-law starts beating our daughter and cheating almost as soon as they left the church (NO - We didn't see it coming), 18 YO leaves home for first time for college a few states away, tastes complete and utter freedom from the prying eyes of parents and loses scholarship after 2 YRS. Daughter moves home to escape abuse. Son moves home as a drop-out. I have to quit my career to stay home with disabled son as most of the businesses that hired him have closed and he only works seven hours a week now and needs a full-time coach with him, so I am no longer terribly employable. I had the world by the tail a few years ago and now it's got me by the proverbial balls - ENTER THE BOTTLE - and I can't seem to get a grip. Hubby is no longer supportive - just extremely disgusted. Comes home disgusted. Doesn't believe in addiction - only choice. He has no intention of quitting this time and drinks every night with his cigar. We don't talk, we don't walk, we don't touch. I guess I'm commiting suicide the lady-like way. I have no explanation or excuse and the isolation of being forced to stay home every day with my disabled son who, at the ripe old age of 23 still needs his butt wiped, is mind numbing, so I oblidge my mind. My daughter's divorce is final. My son (the scholar) is working in a gas station. They are starting to move out after 2 YRS. The silence will be defeaning.

I hope this site is a miracle cure too. A lot of these posts have made me cry with empathy, but I haven't put down my glass yet. If my husband said he was leaving like he did 10 years ago - I'd let him go - that's how far gone I am. I truly feel hollow. Somebody give me an Oprah AHA moment...

Comment

My heart goes out to you Rocky. There are no miracles, but there is tons and lots of hope. And tools for the determined mind. One thing is for sure - NONE of the problems in our lives are going to get solved by drinking. Have you downloaded the book yet? That's a great place to start.

DG
      Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
      Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Hi Naomi and welcome.

Sounds to me like you can succeed at this, given your track record. Maybe your biggest need is support, which is hard to get abroad.

I think once you find something that works for you, and it sounds like AA did, you should stick with it if possible.

There is a great support system here that hopefully can help you get back on track.

And to Rocky Road, I agree with Doggy Girl that no matter what the problems are, alcohol isn't going to help. I know we all think it will but that is such a cruel hoax because everything is really getting worse.

Comment

RockyRoad,
          Wow! My heart goes out to you and I have compassion for you. Thanks for sharing your story. I hope you post it under the "my story" post because you'll probably get loads of help from people who probably wouldn't see it in this thread. Or perhaps you aren't ready to share with all. I'm glad you shared your story with me. There are lots of similarities and differences with my story that I haven't shared yet.

Difficulties have driven you back to over-indulging, which makes complete sense. As for me, too much happiness drove me back to drinking. During sobriety, I had issues with my husband and our oldest daughter had some serious issues in HS which caused us great distress. Also, we moved to China just before her senior year which was causing her great distress, understandably. Not to mention financial challenges. Anyways, all of this happened while I was sober. After moving to China, my daughter became the happiest person! She loved her senior year. She has now finished her 2nd year in college. My son has just graduated with a IB diploma and a scholarship (partial) to a private univ. My husband and I are getting along wonderfully and I love being home with the other two children. So, I returned to the bottle! How much sense does that make? I started out slowly but after 3 years, I've put on 40 pounds, and suffer from the same mental anguish, guilt, regrets, etc. that I had the last time I overdrank. I have no excuse to drink and yet I can't stop. You have every excuse and yet, in the end, we drink because we want to and not because we have to. Who knows, if your life was going well, you may be in the same position you are now with alcohol. It doesn't matter. Good things happen to us as well as bad. Five years from now you may have another wonderful story to tell but I'm willing to bet it won't be as wonderful if you keep drinking.

I can tell you that if you quit, it has to be for you. Not for your husband, children or anyone else. It sounds like your husband has a drinking problem and my husband does, too. Nobody can change someone else but we can change ourselves. In fact, we're the only person who can change us. Keep reaching out! I would love to hear your success story. I'll be watching for more posts from you.

I hope this was helpful although probably not the Oprah moment you were looking for.

Naomi

Comment

Working...
          X