encouragement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

encouragement

Well, who would have ever thought, that after 30 years of drinking nightly, today is day 14 AF ! Has it been easy ? the first few days were not so nice due to withdrawal, but, since then I've taken it one day at a time - I think what has helped a lot is drinking flavoured sparkling water in my favourite wine glass at tootie time ! And this forum !

I do believe that my biggest fear was taking the first step into the unknown - so all of you guys hesitating on the brink - you CAN do this !!!!

I did ask this on the discussion thread, but got no replies - am still curious ........

When I go to Dr. for Vit B injections - she has asked me to draw a five pointed star (3 times now) what's that about ? when I asked, she just smiled and said she'll tell me later.

Two other things I've picked up in my surfing the web ..... anti depressants don't work if you are drinking alcohol, and it is dangerous, if you have a damaged liver, to eat raw oysters/seafood/fish - sob! I love sushi

encouragement

Red Wine Hello and congrats on 14 days ! Don't know about the 5 pointed star thing but I could guess. I just started seeing a psychiatrist for meds and at the end of my appointment she had me answer questions like what day it was and some simple math questions. Maybe its to test your state of mind. I did not hear about the seafood thing. I love sushi as well. I had blood work about a week ago and have been AF for over 30 days. I asked her to check liver function. Will find out next week. What does a vitamin B12 shot do ? I am curious as I frequently feel fatigued and tired. Good job with the sparkling water, I do that and AF wine. Congrats to you again and keep up the great work.

Comment

encouragement

SORRY THAT I DO NOT HAVE A CLUE ABOUT WHY YOU NEED TO DRAW A 5 POINTED STAR.PLEASE LET US KNOW WHEN YOU FIND OUT....14 DAYS IS AMAZING....YOU ARE VERY INSPIRING TO THE NEWBIES THAT ARE STILL STANDING ON THE SIDELINES....COME ON GUYS...EVERYONE IN THE POOL....EVIE
      sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

encouragement

Hello

You have done so well. I too am curious about how long liver can take to recover. I read on the Internet that a fatty (non-cirro liver) can recover in 6 weeks. Is this the case? Had some blood test done for different reason in 2003 and everything including liver came back normal but I was in one of my no-drinking years (believe it or not!). Does anybody know if this is true - hope it is 'cos I think mine must have taken a bashing these past 9 months. (AF before that for six!).
        Short term goal 7 days AF

Comment

encouragement

Great job-Red. Thanks for posting your success so far!:goodjob:

I too, am curious about the 5-star. Please let us know when you find out.

Patricia, the liver is an amazing organ--it can rejuvenate itself if it is not too badly damaged.
          There is a lot of info out there. You might do a search here for "liver" and see what comes up. I lost a friend to acute liver failure this year, she drank a lot of vodka--but still functioned--I think some meds put her liver over the edge....she died 11 days after she went to the doctor. We need to be nice to our livers, and our hearts, and our lungs, and our brains.................
          The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

encouragement

great job ..red wine.. have no idea about the five point star
            :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
            best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

encouragement

great!

I am inspired w/ your 14 days, that is awesome!! The five point star?? Maybe to test your steadiness of your hand? B12 is for neurological function isn't it?? Just a guess!

Good job!!:goodjob:

MA:h:l
              :rays:My happiness is my greatest gift to others:rays:eace:

Comment

encouragement

Thank you all for your support xxxxxxx

Apparently, Vit B is essential, as alcohol depletes it in the body - Dr. put me on 2 Vit bco pills, folic acid, Thiamine, daily, and a course of Vit B12 injections.

You're doing great Patricia - how many days now ? I'm not sure about the answer to the liver question - hopefully the answer is yes !

Comment

encouragement

Way to go Red!!! And you didn't even have to give up your new black shoes!!!! I am finishing day 11 with a nice glass of AF wine. I had a rough "witching" time last night. I REALLY wanted a glass of the REAL stuff dammit!!!!!!! I announced this to my husband, just to vent, but said, I am not going to do it. And I didn't. Once I got past dinner and got into the Cubs (Chicago baseball) game, I was fine.

Keep up the good work, all of you (me included!!! he he he) we are doing very well! Who'd thunk I'd be here at day 11, looking at 12.

I have a work outing coming up on Friday, that I was a little nervous about. I know there will be dinner and drinking. I set the stage for my not drinking. I told my co-worker today that I wouldn't be drinking. She knows I have a friend who has a drinking problem. I told her I made a pact with her to not drink for 30 days to support her getting back on track. This friend is coming out for the 4th of July weekend, so it ties right in as a target date for us, in the story to my co-workers. Truthfully, she is trying to get things back on track and my goals are helping her set goals for herself to get back on track, so it isn't a total farce. But, it will work for me this Friday. They all know I would drink if I was on antibiotics, or on a special diet. So, a pact with a friend works best. I am rambling...........
                  "PAIN IS JUST WEAKNESS LEAVING THE BODY!" USMC

Comment

encouragement

LOL! Shelby those shoes had a lucky escape.

And look at you doing so well :goodjob: You'll be fine at your do - I was planning on tonic and bitters next time I'm out, then, I found out that bitters has alcohol in it - so plan B is cola tonic and lemonade.

After much surfing, I finally discovered the reason for the 'star' - I googled 'hepatic encephalopathy" and the forth/fifth site said 'liver' instead of 'hepatic' - very interesting reading ....... bit scary ..... thankfully the Dr. said my stars were excellent.

20 past 2 here - bed is calling. Nite all - stay strong ! xxxx

Comment

encouragement

Hi, Red. I'm sure anti-depressants are more effective (as is everything else) if you are AF, but I know from past experience (and it may also depend on the particular anti-depressant), that they can be effective when drinking. Not to say that AF shouldn't be the goal, but I don't want anyone who is not quite AF yet to be discouraged and think it won't do any good to take anti-depressants. I had a lot of success in the past. Obviously, you want to let the doctor know in advance that you are drinking.

However, even AF the current one the doctor has me on isn't helping and for some reason she seems reluctant to have me go back on the one the helped in the past. Maybe I need to be firmer? I'm not too good at asking for what I need.

Comment

encouragement

Maisie, Next time you go to see your Dr. Try this. Say- "I want (state the name of the medication)because I felt it was much more effective for me." Then, wait for the answer. It may be yes, it may be no. But, then you can ask for an explanation for the no and understand why. I also had a hard time asking for things to. I have gotten better at it. I figure the worst that can happen is they say no. If I don't ask, then I end up always wondering "what if". I HATE living in what if??????
                        "PAIN IS JUST WEAKNESS LEAVING THE BODY!" USMC

Comment

Working...
                        X