Alcohol withrawal or just anxiety?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As I just posted, I lost my boyfriend (sudden death) last week.

I spontaneously decided yesterday to stop drinking. I've been an abuser and/or alcoholic for many years. Anyway, I've had weird jumping muscles, can't sleep (except short naps), no appetite (couldn't eat a bite yesterday)... I'm just wondering if these symptoms are from the grief I'm feeling or if it's AL withdrawal or both??

I SO want to feel "normal", but I know it's going to take time. Both to go through grief process AND get AL out of my system.

I feel so much. I would love to feel numb instead, but I'm really going to try to get my life on track. Not sure about going cold turkey stopping, but if I had any AL in my place, knowing me, I would drink it until it's gone.

SO SAD!! Both about what's happened and my life in general. I'm just pitiful.
    Sometimes you have to take the leap and build your wings on the way down... Anais Nin

Not pitiful - just human (I'm not stalking you , just holding out my hand).

Probably both given the circumstances. Good for you to try to kick AL as that will make it easier on you in the long run to deal with your loss. Be strong! You can't change what happened, but you can control how you deal with it AND you can change your life! Lots of people here to help. :l
    sigpic
    Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

No, I'm glad you replied. I've been on here all morning Hoping for replies.

I'm feel like I'm jumping out of my skin.
      Sometimes you have to take the leap and build your wings on the way down... Anais Nin

Comment

Savon, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. I can't imagine how difficult that must be. There is a sticky at the top of the "Need Help Now" section (that's not the exact name...) about withdrawl symptoms. Have you read through that just to see how you think you compare? Is there someone close to you who can keep an eye on you?

I did not experience any twitching or shakes, and my appetite went up, not down. However I think those symptoms are possibilities during withdrawl. Insomnia is absolutely a possibility during withdrawl, and I still struggle with that one sometimes.

I wish you the very best. As you already know, alcohol does NOTHING to help solve the problems of life. Freedom rocks.

DG
        Day 40 AF
        Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
        Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

I'm very sorry to hear of your loss but glad you have decided to take care of yourself. My guess is it is probably both. If you can, get in a grief support group (often offered by local hospice organizations). I found that very helpful.

Comment

Sorry to hear of your loss - I can't begin to imagine how I would feel if I lost my husband suddenly. My opinion too is its probably both. I'm one of those who's trying to mod but decided I would abstain for a week - for some reason I began to experience similar symptoms - not sleeping, loss of appetite, feeling shaky and sick. I thought to myself I can't possibly be having alcohol withdrawl again, I've been moderating successfully for 6 months and certainly haven't been drinking like I used too. I felt so ill I had to leave work and go to the doctor, I explained my symptoms how I'd been drinking heavy in the past and was trying to reduce my alcohol intake. He checked my blood pressure and confirmed it wasn't alcohol withdrawl and just anxiety. I think I was just anxious about going without alcohol for a week and brought the symptoms on myself!!!
            Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; He's the one who will keep you on track. Proverbs 3:6 The Message

Comment

I just made appt. for Wed. morning with local hospice grief support! I had actually called them yesterday but couldn't make appt. until today.

I'm SO glad to hear that you found it helpful.

I'm hoping that my mind can rest a bit. I've been thinking non-stop since this happened. It's not that I want to forget him (I'm sure I never will), but I can't keep on this mental treadmill. Exhausting!!

louise;355400 wrote: I'm very sorry to hear of your loss but glad you have decided to take care of yourself. My guess is it is probably both. If you can, get in a grief support group (often offered by local hospice organizations). I found that very helpful.

Comment

Savon,

I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your loved one! My heart goes out to you! I admire your decision to change your life. I send you comfort and support!

Hugs, Best
                "It wasn't all I wanted, but all I could stand!":bigwink: Alcohol free since April 8, 2008

Comment

I am very sorry for your loss. It sounds like anxiety and depression over this. I experienced that recently myself, although it was for an ex husband with a tremendous amount of baggage. I hope that you find the help you need and know we are all here for you.

Kat
                  "All that we are is a result of what we have thought" Buddah:heart:

Comment

Working...
                  X