Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time ..... again!

Hi,
    It's my first time here, looking to find a few people to talk to. I'm 30 years old. I have a history of alcohol abuse. Have tried many avenues of help (councillors & family to no avail). I need some help I think.
    Thanks.

First time ..... again!

Hi Matt

Welcome to this site - I have found it incredibly helpful. The people here all know what you're struggling with - they are patient and helpful and at times incredibly funny in their observations of life . . . . Just start with tackling today - Bessie's thread could be of help or there is a Newbie thread in general discussions which you might find useful . . . . Just keep logging on, listening, aborbing and you will might find what you're looking for . . . . . You are so welcome
    Short term goal 7 days AF

Comment

First time ..... again!

Matt
      :welcome:. First of all keep in mind that this site is quiet this weekend due to our American friends having their Independence day holiday!

There is loads of help and advice here. Read the old messages, look into the supplements, think about if you want to do moderation or abstinence. There will be many here to support you, but you need to post to get that support.

good luck. many here have done very well.

one, x

Comment

First time ..... again!

you are not alone

Welcome Zombie
        First time for me Again too. I am going through the worst physical withdrawal that I have ever experienced. I hope to remember this if I ever reach for the poison again. I had to go to the hopital and get medication to get me through this. I am 24 hours alcohol free. I have to take the meds for 2 more days, then I am hoping to put together a solid program. Most people here recommend downloading the book as a beginning. I plan to do that as soon as I can function. The meds make me sleep. I have found lot's of support here. I hope u will stick around.:l
        "Decide-Which Voice in Your Head you Can Keep Alive" (Shinedown)

Comment

First time ..... again!

Zombie,

Welcome. Glad you found the site. A good place to start is to download the book. It is cheap and worth it. Also, the supplements are great. I order the Kudzu online but get the others (for what works for me) at my local health food store. I know that I made a plan and started taking the supps about four days before I went totally AL free. I feel it is better to be prepared to face this thing head on, both mentally and physically. I am now on day 22 (have done several AF stints before) and feel terrific. There is a certain freedom that comes with not drinking. You can do it and if you have a hundred questions, ask them! There is great advice here. We have all been through it. Gabby.
          Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

Comment

First time ..... again!

:welcome: You certainly are not alone and have found a great support system. You will find people from all walks (and regions) of life who will be able to relate to your struggles. After the support I received from this site I found a family physician who put me on antabuse. I am on day 9 and celebrated my first AF 4th of July since I was pregnant with my son who is now 15!

Come back often.
            aplgrl
            "The brick walls are not there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something. Because the brick walls are there to stop the people who don?t want it badly enough." - Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture

Comment

First time ..... again!

Hi

Welcome. You will find unlimited support here. It can seem like a very big hurdle at first, but remain positive and look forwards to achieving your goal.

Hope to hear more from you.

Comment

First time ..... again!

Hi Zombie,

As the others have said, this site is a great place for support and REAL information. One of the many beauties of MWO is the multi-faceted approach which hits booze between the eyes while offering flexibility. I'm working on moderation, and since starting the cd's last Sunday, have had just 4 drinks in 6 days (and never more than 1 1/2 on any day. Several days have been AF. I'm a bit cautious on an early celebration, but I offer my experience only to say that much of what's promoted on this site actually works in the real world. I know the road ahead will have its twists and turns, but I'm confident I have a world of people out there from whom I can learn quite a bit. Read the book, decide on your plan for now (you can always fine tune it based on your experience) and come here for the support. Best to you.

V.

Comment

First time ..... again!

Hi Zombie,

Welcome to the board. You will find great support here to help you out; whether to moderate or abstain.

Comment

First time ..... again!

Oh, and Sea,

Congratulations on your 24 hours of AF. I know it's been a painful weekend, but each moment has got to get better (it probably couldn't get worse!). You've used this time to gather up some info, so come Monday you will be ready to charge into sobriety. Keep at it -- I'll be watching for the progress reports!

V.

Comment

First time ..... again!

goal or not to gaol good luck chum we ve all been where u are or were this is a freindly site i do both here and aa online here i find a bit more open minded ive stopped for 8 months some on my own what im lernin is can we moderate or can we live without it been here b4 as long as 2 years gyco

Comment

First time ..... again!

Welcome Zombie to MWO!!

The great thing I have learnt here is that no one judges, everyone is here to help and support you all the way. I am currently modding but I aim to go AF for 30 days in the near future which I never thought I would I ever hear myself say. This is a great place to be, so hang around!

I see that you are from New Zealand.... congrats on whipping our butts (SA) at the rugby this weekend... LOL.
                        "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Working...
                        X