Fighting the urge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fighting the urge

Today, I have so much housework to catch up on that I am making a promise to myself that I will not drink until every task that I need to do today has been done... which will mean tonight really. I know this musnt sound very much, but I generally start opening a new bottle of wine at around 11am, so to leave it for another 6 hours is kinda like a (very) small step in the right direction.
    Today... I owe my son a clean and tidy house to return home from school to.
    Today... I owe my son a happy, sober mum to greet him.
    Today... I owe my dogs the long walk they need

Every coffee break I take, Im going to come back and read this.
    I wish I could just get my hands to stop shaking first.
    ?I am playing all the right notes... But not necessarily in the right order.....?

Fighting the urge

GO CHELLE12! DO IT!!! YOU OWE IT TO YOURSELF!
    Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; He's the one who will keep you on track. Proverbs 3:6 The Message

Comment

Fighting the urge

Unfortunately I don't know of anything that'll stop the shakes as during my alcoholic years I also had thyrotoxicosis and was on heavy medication for tremors anyway!!! And you wouldn't wanna take that! I've heard on the grapevine (probably read on this forum somewhere) that maybe vanilla extract is good, could anyone confirm whether that's correct?
      Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; He's the one who will keep you on track. Proverbs 3:6 The Message

Comment

Fighting the urge

It was me who did that with the vanilla. Honestly I think it's just giving you a shot of alcohol and sugar at the same time but it really is nasty stuff and I did it to stop shaking enough to go write a check at the store to get more booze. If you ride it out they usually stopped for me by mid afternoon. Just watch and make sure they are not getting worse.

Comment

Fighting the urge

Dolly Sunshine;359667 wrote: Honestly I think it's just giving you a shot of alcohol and sugar at the same time.
          Oh, that's no good then! lol! Duh!

Comment

Fighting the urge

Sending great thoughts your way. YOU CAN DO THIS! One step at a time.
            "All that we are is a result of what we have thought" Buddah:heart:

Comment

Fighting the urge

I'm not even sure when my desperate mind hit on the idea it's amazing what we will put our body through to stop that feeling. I'm so glad to not experience that anymore!

Comment

Fighting the urge

Well, managed to get a lot of work done, but I drank at 5pm onwards. Not as bad as the usual 11am, but still not good enough.
                Shaky hands again this morning.. find it hard to type.
                Why do I do this to myself? Im find it difficult to butter bread to make up my son's packed lunch for school.
                Still..Today is another day. will try again
                ?I am playing all the right notes... But not necessarily in the right order.....?

Comment

Fighting the urge

Chelle12, don't be to hard on yourself but know that you must stop...inch by inch if necessary. I thought of a very good definition for my alchoholism... an allergy to alchohol combined with the obsession and compulsion to consume it.
                  Try to take one drink less every day and you can get to AF in time.
                  Jessie.
                  make the least of the worst, and the most of the best - everyday.

Comment

Fighting the urge

Chelle

Do it for yourself - you will feel absolutely amazing that you've reached the goal that you set yourself - perhaps you could keep logging on to here to get the encouragement and strength that you need to reach it - you never know, you might even beat your goal by a few seconds, minutes, hours . . . . . .and wouldn't that be terrific

Px
                    Short term goal 7 days AF

Comment

Fighting the urge

Hi Chelle

Don't beat yourself up sometimes we have to do things gradually - I know I did.

I cut down the drinking hours first of all and then switched from wine to beer (limit to how much volume I want to consume) and so on. But I still slip sometimes (we are only human).

Keep at it and focus on the positive and remember ODAT!:goodjob:

Comment

Fighting the urge

chelle12... you will get there. you will stop when you are ready. it's your choice. weigh the benefits of alcohol against the benefits of taking care of your son and animals.
                        what is more important?
                        i know the answer is obvious, and that doesn't make your choice any easier.
                        try and think of drinking as a choice. i know i would just take the first drink... trying not to think about it. the rest was beyond my control.
                        maybe you should see a doc and see if they can give you something to get through the initial stages?
                        everyone is on this site for the same reason.
                        we all know how tough it is.
                        hang in there and know you and your family is worth the fight.

Comment

Fighting the urge

Thank you everyone for your replies, it means so much
                          It's definitely a case of 'one day at a time'... sometimes its more like one hour at a time.
                          Chelle
                          *hanging in there*

Comment

Fighting the urge

I went for a time where I forced myself to drink a big glass of water inbetween each beer.It did cut down on my AL intake....It was a process and the only way to fail is to stop trying...
                            sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

Fighting the urge

Chelle,
                              and remember the water with lemon, boatloads of it !!

Hope doing better today (my today your tomorrow? not sure if you're going to bed or just getting up.0

ODAT
                              workout:chick:mwo2

It's my world to make now...cuz I found my way out.

Comment

Working...
                              X