Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pissed, Confused, Scared

Welcome!

I have to say that I was thinking the same thing UK Blonde was. How big are these glasses? If they are big, you could easily be drinking one bottle a night which is way too much, particularly for a woman.

Maybe what your husband is getting at is that you are psychologically dependent on alcohol and it does sound like you are (though this is like the pot calling the kettle black, double standard for him I guess!).

I was just reading an article that said that there should be more focus on identifying alcoholism problems early on when there is more hope for treatment. If you are already using alcohol to take the edge off, is this going to be the way you deal with all problems? Ok, for now it's to deal with little kids. What about marital problems? Job stress? Kids leaving home. Loneliness. All of those emotional issues. Is alcohol going to be the answer for everything?

Sounds to me like your husband, though hypocritical in my opinion, may be helping you here, nipping this problem in the bud. There are other ways to unwind as Cindi said. Maybe you could read some of the other posts and see how bad alcoholism can be in later stages. For now, I would say you are just psychologically dependent on it, fully functional.

This drink after work habit is sooo common in everyday society. Can you give up drinking on weekdays and see how it goes? Attachment to substances is really odd. You start thinking you can't do anything without them, can't function, and it's really not true. Give yourself more credit. I bet you can find ways to unwind without it.

Comment

Pissed, Confused, Scared

My easiest excuse to myself used to be "it's only 3 or 4 glasses, what's the big deal". Now I've stepped back, I realise my 3 or 4 glasses was a bottle, or more. I didn't like to say i drank a bottle of wine a night (or more), so i just talked about glasses instead.

And I still functioned, and I didn't get hangovers, and I raised my family, but then I realised I had done that in a haze and in a lot of sadness. I didn't get hangovers because I drank so damn much every single night, so my tolerance level was increased. I could sink 2 bottles of wine without seeming drunk, no slurring, no worries.

Ok, I'm not having a go. Just telling it from my point of view. You have a lot of good advice above from a lot of people. Take it is what I say, but you have to be ready to take it. I've been coming here for months, and I was lurking without joining in for months before that. it's only just now that it's "clicked".

Good luck to you. Life, family, kids, it's hard.

one, x

Comment

Pissed, Confused, Scared

hi tops im a father of 4 and there older now been in yur boat drank a lot never had a problem stoppin but never stayed nor wanted to just resently had a stint in a sanitarium you dont want to go tht route altho you ll lern depending where u go as cindi said been there done it moderation is good if you can enjoy yur kids they grow quik and they remember and all rt again yur husband if drinkin as you do is in no boat to judge

Comment

Pissed, Confused, Scared

hi a gain im not finished dont give it up moderate stay off the drugs they have long term affects tht you dont even no of always remeber the most important thing is your IMPORTANT GYCO

Comment

Pissed, Confused, Scared

4tops...sounds like you have a "little" problem. Best you begin to deal with it before it gets too serious. Ukblonde is a pretty insightful person and nailed it when she asked the question as to the size of your prize each night. I would bet that you are drinking more than you really think. Also, take Cindi's advice, get the hubby to contribute to the effort. Go AF for a month to clean out your system and have him help by taking care of the kids for an hour each night so you can get out of the house and reward yourself by doing something different.

Trust me...you don't want to keep heading down the path that you are on...simply read some of the posts of the people that are now dealing with much more serious issues than you are.

They started out exactly where you are right now!

Comment

Working...
            X