Please Explain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please Explain?

I hear repeatedly that alcohol initially seems to aid the feelings of depression, only to 'kick you to the curb', later. What does that actually mean? Later in terms of months/years, or later, like, I feel good when I go to bed, but the depressive state could be worse the next day, till I drink again.

Can anyone elaborate? Because I feel so down today, especially thinking I won't have any wine tonight. Am I going to keep feeling so down while I am dry? Cause that's no incentive!

Please Explain?

Meaning it takes you up and then it dumps you down..... Sort of like what goes up must come down. The law of gravity! It is just temporary though unless a person is actually clinically depressed that is -- I think it is something to do with the huge sugar hit from AL and then no sugar and you get hungover then depressed but then back up again. If you can get a few days AF the AL induced depression will lift. A lot of people are euphoric (including myself and many others on here) when you get on that 30 day AF road - the honeymoon period it is called. That doesnt last forever unfortunately as you just go back to normal happiness eventually. Its all good honey all good.
    BH no more

Comment

Please Explain?

Alcohol is a depresent.....It makes you feel numb and euphoric...then depresed ! My Doctor had give me an Anti-Depresent to get my crap together. Alcohol does'nt help you settle your depression, it makes it worse. IAD.
      ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
      those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
      Dr. Seuss

Comment

Please Explain?

I've been off AL now about 8-9 days (most in YEARS)... I'm surprised, but it hasn't been that bad. THEN I got inspired to also quit smoking (using patch) - and that is even Harder for me.

I've not had a cig for about 6 days. I have one more patch for tomorrow, and I'm SO tempted (if I feel like it) buying "just one pack!!!!!" Today was REALLY bad.
        Sometimes you have to take the leap and build your wings on the way down... Anais Nin

Comment

Please Explain?

A thong i ffind helpful is to not dwell on thinking that i can't have a drink but try to focus on the fact that i can drink what ever i like but I am CHOOSING not too, really helped me to get my head around it, hope it helds you good luck x

Comment

Please Explain?

Hi 4Tops,

A year ago my Dr. put me on Campral to help with the physical cravings related to many, many years of drinking. She explained the chemical changes in the brain when we drink. I don't remember the entire conversation (was too hungover), but there is a physical efect that goes on to affect our mood. The campral works on the brain in a similar fashion as the booze, though without the accompanying depression and all the other affects of alcohol. I suspect that all the anti-craving meds and supplements work in a similar fashion. That said, the low feelings do alleviate after awhile. For me, they were soon replaced by the positive rewards of feeling some measure of control.

But Boozehag makes a good point - I'm still on a "honeymoon" period, and can only hope the good feelings persist. Think the cd's are very helpful in keeping the positive vibe going. Best to you--

V.

p.s. I think RJ points out in her book - and I agree - that exercise keeps the good feel endorphins flowing. A good workout can sure lift a mood!!

Comment

Please Explain?

IAD;359902 wrote: Alcohol is a depresent.....It makes you feel numb and euphoric...then depresed ! My Doctor had give me an Anti-Depresent to get my crap together. Alcohol does'nt help you settle your depression, it makes it worse. IAD.
              ditto couldnt have said it any better and in time all heals just deal with it head on and think positive .. you can do it
              :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
              best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

Please Explain?

I think I can help with this one. Alcohol raises the serotonin (happy chemical) levels in your brain. Once the alcohol is metabolised, the serotonin levels drop dramatically to even lower levels than before your first drink. That's the depression the next day. It takes a couple of days of not drinking (and even months for alcoholics) for the serotonin levels to stabilize again.

Comment

Please Explain?

This is good info, thanks. I don't THINK I need meds like campral yet. I'm going from like, 4 drinks (or so) per night, to none. I'm not "itchy", just thinking about it, and thinking it'd feel better than not having it. Or wait, is that indeed, jonesin? Well, made it through last night. Pretty well. Just kind of peeved at depriving myself. Trying to look at it as blessing myself.

Comment

Working...
                  X