X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WHAT TO INSTEAD OF DRINK?

Preview
    WHAT TO DO INSTEAD OF DRINK?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just loved the thread how do you know when you have a drinking problem? It brought out every emotion i have Sadness, Happiness, guilt ,compation,anger,shame, but most of all it brought out the feeling of relief that i am not alone in this horrible addiction, and hope that there are those that have got through this and can still laugh.(thank god) I did laugh a lot, not at anyone, just with you, as did i cry, and share your shame.
    Reading these things help remind me of why i should not drink, so i was hoping that others could share what helps them?
    Maybe what works and what has not?
    I defenatly know changing drinks does not, one of my friends told me to choice something else to drink as wine makes all girls silly, well so does beer, scotch,vodka,champagne,gin,apple cider, i have not found the one that dosnt make me silly. :nutso:

hi chil i here u ive been stopped for 8 months ,its not hard, its to stay stopped, is tht wht u want ,short story i was sent to a sanitarium this wintr , i dont think you could go lowerthn tht, other thn death ,ive lerned ,tht modertion should be the key to our success,i still havent drank but do find this site intrestin,just by comin here you are tryin to make a difference,i hope this helps gyco

Comment

Good morning
      Instead of drinking today, I am going the Tatoo Expo with my sis, daughter, and cousin. They are not drinkers. So one way for me not to drink is to spend my time with others who do not drink. I am also going to do my toenails, and dye my hair (yeah going gray)lol
      "Decide-Which Voice in Your Head you Can Keep Alive" (Shinedown)

Comment

I take the recommended supplements (especially the all one), made myself go places I could not drink during the evening for the first few days, check in daily on a thread with a core group of people, took AF beer to a few parties I could/did not want to avoid, started exercising, avoided sugar and refined carbs and most importantly, when I slipped I did not drink again the next day but instead recommitted to bing AF.

Comment

It's very common to have that feeling of "what am I going to DO without alcohol?" Don't let your addiction DEFINE you. There are a million different things that are now open to you, now that you have made the first step. Stopping drinking does NOT mean that something has ended - it truly means that you have taken the decision to live again. It's nerve-wracking, certainly - but it's also very do-able, even though you might not feel that way right now.

If you're enything like me, you will have been stuck and dead on the booze for years or possibly decades. My weekends were an endless cycle of boozing & hangovers, and feeling like hell. NOW - I spend time with family & (real) friends, I walk, write, and generally engage in reality.

There is no way in hell I am going back to the bottle.

Peace & strength,

ZM

Comment

Hi Chilli,

I think Louise's response to your question was so helpful - to all of us. RJ came up with a program that hits at alcohol addiction from multiple fronts. I think that is one of its core strengths. For me, I have been on campral and celexa for about a year from my doctor. The campral, particularly, helped immensely with the physical cravings. I thought I was out of the woods, but found my drinking escalating once again. That's when I found MWO and read the book and ordered the cd's. Have been using them for 2 weeks and have found them key to my quest for control. I've redoubled my efforts to eat healthy (much easier to do when not hungover or oblivious because of a lengthy cocktail hour) and still walk 20-24 miles a week. I'm determined to do it this time. I've found socializing to be far more interesting (I remember conversations), and my husband and I have been on more adventures because I'm not falling asleep by 8PM. Zen said it all -- engaging in reality is so rewarding. Hope I don't sound like I know it all -- I'm working my way through things like everybody else.

V.

Comment

Thanks guys i have the book and cds from last time i was on and i just take my own sups now. A bit concerned about sups thought my brother has just found out he has cirro of the liver and doc said he can not take anything not even sups as this makes the liver work just as hard as it does trying to remove Alcohol.Has anyone hurd that one? He was told to lay off everything for 3 mths and see if his liver repairs.
              I am finding it really hard to go out as most of my friends love a drink and go to places were there is alcohol, i have just been staying at home,and loging on here, doing hair, facials, nails you name it but i am getting pretty lonely, i jumped on the joke bit last night has every one read the one about the taza gun i was pretty depressed till i read this i have not laught like that in years, it really made my night, so there is something else have a good belly laugh.
              ACCEPTANCE IS A POWERFUL THING

Comment

hi chil congrats on yur new found sobriety, i think your brothers tests are tryin to inspire u, and yu seem to hav gotten it, cirosis is an awful desese,i no a gentleman who works in the hospital and the stories he tell, i f people only new the truth and how many people are dyin from it,yur doin great and keep up the good work gycops i wish yur brother well

Comment

ps i to read the taser story tht id have to go to the hospital i was laffin so hard latr

Comment

I found that I was sometimes drinking because I was too tired to really do anything. So now I just turn on the TV, read a book, look at catalogs, look at pictures in my gardening books, surf the internet, or take a nap. All of these with a variety of AF beverages: tea, soda, water, anything to fill a glass.
                    My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

I have strong tasting candy,cinnamon,licirice,mint and keep my taste buds busy...
                      sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

Working...
                      X