Only two drinks a day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Only two drinks a day

I'm 72 and had been feeling so tired that I couldn't get off the couch, and was terribly depressed. I went to the doctor thinking I must be dying of something or other, and he asked me how much did I drink? I said "Only two drinks a day" and he then asked, "Bar drinks or did you pour them?" That night I measured exactly what I had been drinking and it was closer to 8 oz of vodka than the 3 oz that should be "two drinks." The doctor suggested that I not drink AT ALL for two weeks and I agreed to try it with much trepidation, not thinking I could do it. The first week I was so tired I was too weak to even get the ice out if I did decide to have a drink, but the second week was so surprising--I was so much less tired, and so much less depressed. I had to admit that I felt better for not drinking, and reported this to the doctor yesterday. He asked me to continue the experiment for another two weeks, and I am as surprised as anything to realize that years of what I thought was "moderate" drinking might be the cause of all my imagined infirmities, including ten years in psychotherapy for depression, with many unsucessful attempts with personality-adjusting chemicals. Many many years ago :new:I tried AA for awhile, hated it for the jargon and the religion, and found MWO today, Googling "dry drunk". I am thrilled to find you guys, keep up the great work!

Only two drinks a day

Welcome, welcome, welcome!!!!!!
    Goal 1: Today
    Goal 2: Tomorrow

Comment

Only two drinks a day

yo hi 429 a aa isnt for all but for some it works, most dont like the approach until they end up in a hospital, aftr tryin to commit suicide and even fail at tht ,this place is a great place keep up the moderation if you can gyco

Comment

Only two drinks a day

:applaud::applaud::applaud:Good for you on following your doctors advice.I am 55yrs. old but starting to feel very youthful now that AL is a thing of the past...Watch your depression lift and you'll be out dancing before you know it..A SOBER LIFE IS SO MUCH MORE JOYFUl...Look forward to getting to know you...stick around!!!
        sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

Only two drinks a day

:hello2::colorwelcome::wave::groupluv: awesome great job keep it up
          :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
          best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

Only two drinks a day

:welcome: ce429.

Yes. The drinks "they" pour are often way over the limit. Way.

I had a friend who drank 3 Texas Teas a day. He quit when his brother died of a heart attack. He lost 30 lbs in 2 months and felt so much better.

The bartenders try to be "nice" to us but do not understand what they do to us.

Glad you are here.

Cindi
            AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Only two drinks a day

Welcome to the family ce429!

Comment

Only two drinks a day

Welcome ce429. I'm very glad you found us. I'm impressed you were able to quit for a week all on your own. Keep up the good work. Check the home page and store to find out more about the approach here and various supplements to take to help repair the damage.

Comment

Only two drinks a day

Hey ce,

I can ID with the drink size issue. I still cannot believe 4 or 5 ounces of wine is a glass.

Welcome!

Comment

Only two drinks a day

sober life has its moments like anything els you have to work at it or it will come back and bite you rt in the butt but this site great gyco

Comment

Only two drinks a day

Hi ce429

Hi and welcome!,
                      I can so relate to the measures thing.
                      My poison is wine and I love the big wine glasses. It was only when I did a stint with weight watchers a few years back and mesauring calories that I started measuring out 'units'. I used to look at the tiny bit at the end of my normal wine glasses and think OMG!. I switched then to smaller glasses and made sure that I did not top up the glass until empty. I have generally functioned quite well considering over the last few years but it has been functioning not living, mild but not severe depression and I know now that alcohol has been the bad guy in all of this.
                      You have done very well so far, keep it up
                      :h
                      Bandit
                      There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning.

Comment

Only two drinks a day

Sounds like you are going to start a new chapter in your life. Congratulations. Looking forward is a great thing. Don't spend anytime looking back!

Comment

Only two drinks a day

You seem so precious, and I am so thrilled to be on a forum that includes you. 72? Wow. What courage to so something different now, and still want to have control of your life. My own grandparents were throwing in the towel at that age. So sad. I, for one, want to be kicking hard at any age God grants me!

Welcome, and I look forward to trying to get to know you,

Comment

Only two drinks a day

ducky;362690 wrote: Hey ce,

I can ID with the drink size issue. I still cannot believe 4 or 5 ounces of wine is a glass.

Welcome!
                            Exactly

Comment

Only two drinks a day

Hi ce and welcome
                              Good to have you here and looking forward to your posts. Glad you found us!!:goodjob:
                              When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.
                              -- Franklin D Roosevelt --

Comment

Working...
                              X