Hello Everybody! Im new.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello Everybody! Im new.

Ive been lurking all this evening and this place is great, Ive read desperate cries, intelligent advice (both technical and therapeutic), and some funny stuff.
    Ive been decided on doing something about the booze for some time. Im a 'regular 10-15' units a day man, in the evenings after work, and occasionally all day at the weekend. I suppose I was kidding myself that holding down a job meant all was well, it isnt.
    Im fed up with forgetting if I have told my gf something, and deciding not to risk repeating myself. Im fed up with missing the party cos i got to my drunk stage and had to bail out. Im fairly fed up with the (thankfully rare) falling over. Im fed up with saying 'I must cut down' but not. So Im fed up with drinking.
    Im scared of the never having a drink again ever thing, and whilst i realise that abstinence is the only way forward, took some comfort in the 'moderation' section here. That really cheered me along, but for now I have a plan, its a bit sketchy but here goes.
    1. set a date, this is based around a party i am attending in 10 days-after that we go, yes I know what your'e thinking, but trust me.
    2. Go t my doctor, Im aware that cutting AL out is dangerous, he'll know what to do, Im hoping he'll help me out with the initial shock, Im guessing anti convulsants, something to stop me feeling anxious and not sleep (Ive tried this before), followed by the anti-craving products ive read about here. Im going BEFORE the start date so everything is in place.
    3. Get the book.
    4. Following Docs advice taper off, or stop.
    5. See what happens, get a better hobby.
    6. Deal with the inevitable difficulties as they arise, always in mind of avoiding going to AA, which really is a BIG incentive.

Sorry if thats all a bit lengthy.

My names Jim, my nickname and indeed DJ name is Scott Cairo I make mash-up music. And Hello again. Strength to you all!

I'll keep you posted Im really very excited.
    MODS-give me a clip round the ear if I EVER go on like that again!

Hello Everybody! Im new.

WELCOME !!!! You will find people to help support your choices...there is POWER in numbers of people wanting the same thing...
    sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

Hello Everybody! Im new.

Welcome! You are in the right place. These people are amazing and you sound determined and have a good plan. Think success and IT WILL BE YOURS! You can totally do this. It is hard and will suck at times, but YOU CAN DO THIS!

Welcome friend!

Kat
      "All that we are is a result of what we have thought" Buddah:heart:

Comment

Hello Everybody! Im new.

Welcome

Just wanted to say Hi and welcome you. This is a great place, as you have already discovered. I was in very bad shape 11 days ago. With the help of my doctor and the people here, I feel Great today. If I can do it, you certainly can. I look forward to reading your posts, and perhaps catch you in Live Chat sometime.
        "Decide-Which Voice in Your Head you Can Keep Alive" (Shinedown)

Comment

Hello Everybody! Im new.

Hello and Welcome.
          You can be as lengthy or brief as you like.
          This is a great place; lots of help and advice if that's what you're looking for; or just somewhere you can voice your thoughts.

Comment

Hello Everybody! Im new.

dolphin;364115 wrote: Hey Jim :welcome: you are in the right place to do something about your drinking..its good you are able to see you have a problem,lots of folk dont ever see things as clear as you....whatever you decide to do regarding giving up or moderating i wish you all the best...this place has helped me to get to nearly 2 months sober and i know i coudnt have managed without the help and support from the people here..so stick around...by the way we need a decent DJ on the music thread..Hips really fancies himself as one...:H..now he'll have some competition..good one Scott!!!!!
            WOW thanks everybody, Im even more excited now.
            Now wheres this Music thread then? I may be able to do a little something as a newbie offering!

Comment

Hello Everybody! Im new.

Hi Jim,

Welcome to MWO......we can help you if you are willing to do the work. It sounds like you have a plan.....may I suggest you get the MWO book now and be reaading it until you are ready to do something about your drinking.....

There are alot of great people here who are ready to help you "Beat The Beast".....

Keep reading and posting....

Don

Comment

Hello Everybody! Im new.

scott welcom 1 enjoy the party 2 AA is not tht much different than here3 a lot of doctors dont no what to do4 i know,seen lots of them 5 the main thing is your here whether you suceed the 1st time or the 10,000 time were always here to listen gyco

Comment

Hello Everybody! Im new.

Good for you on wanting to improve your life! Welcome to the site, the people here are truly wonderful. I am so thankful to have found this place and the difference it and everyone in it, has made in my life. Best of luck to you!

Comment

Hello Everybody! Im new.

.may I suggest you get the MWO book now and be reaading it until you are ready to do something about your drinking.....

For the 2nd time today, I agree with Chief!!!!!

:welcome:
                    The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

Hello Everybody! Im new.

Welcome Scott,

Isn't it great knowing you're not alone. That's the beauty of this site. Always someone who will have just the advice you need at the right time. A plan is good. Sticking to the plan is even better. We're all here to help each other. And Sea -- CONGRATULATIONS on your 11 days and for keeping that old BF at the curb (forgot to mention that when I was responding to the ODAT thread). From your posts, know it has been anything but easy. But, my, how far you've come. Way to go, girlfriend.

v.

Comment

Hello Everybody! Im new.

Welcome aboard Scott! Sounds like you have a plan!!! Stick with it! We'll be there for you!
                        Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; He's the one who will keep you on track. Proverbs 3:6 The Message

Comment

Hello Everybody! Im new.

Welcome Scott!

I usually preferred being on the other side of the decks being 'mental' and sticking my 'ead in base bins!!

I'm very tribalistic in my outlook and I've always in the past wanted to be a part of a 'scene'. Started with the New-Age Travelers and free festivals and progressed into squat parties, free outdoor parties and the rave scene. My drinking and drug taking always seemed to go hand in hand with my lifestyle choices. I'm a qualified sound engineer and worked in a recording studio in Liverpool for nearly 5 years (I think!!!). Sex, drugs and rock n roll was what it was all about for me for a long time until last June I decided my life was totally unmanageable whilst I was drinking. I always wanted to be the 'party animal' and the last man standing at parties, but to do that I needed drugs as well. When I stopped the drugs i fell flat on my face trying to drink the same quantities of alcohol and I became a complete fuckwit. People just didn't wanna know me and my girlfriend at the time thought I was an embarrassment.

Getting sober for me was not as hard as it's been for some folks here but I couldn't manage to stay sober for longer than 4 months before the little voices in my head started questioning my sober lifestyle. I still wanted to be that 'party animal' and I thought it was just a part of who I was due to my previous lifestyle choices. It's taken me nearly 11 months to finally 'grow up' and look beyond a lifestyle of drink and drugs. I've had 12 out of 13 months sober (not consecutively!) but that is a hell of a lot better than the constant benders/binges I would go on before I made the decision to quit drinking last June. I AM an alcoholic/addict and I cannot ever return to moderating my drink and drink safely around others. I'm still weary of gigs, festivals, raves etc but I'm OK with that at this moment in my life. I've always seen these as events to get totally off my head and go mental but I'm slowly coming round to a new way of thinking!!

You've got some good plans for yourself Scott and the people here are always willing to give you moral support. I couldn't of gotten this far without the friends I've made here who've shared their advice with me and helped pick me up when I've fallen. This is more than just a recovery forum for me but a great online community that bares no judgments whatsoever. Don't forget as well, getting sober is no barrel of laughs anyway so don't forget to keep ya chin up and enjoy it. It doesn't have to be depressing making these changes in you life.

Love and Happiness
                          Hippie
                          xx
                          "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
                          Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Comment

Hello Everybody! Im new.

Welcome Scott.

Comment

Hello Everybody! Im new.

Hi Scott...welcome aboard. I'm at day 9, and this forum has been an immense help in getting to where I am. Your plan is great, stick to it, and keep in touch as you approach your date. Your story will help many others.
                              Don't worry about the future, I was (and still am) but I know from my past experience (7 years AF) that it's never as bad as what you anticipate, When you get through an occasion, you'll look back and know it wasn't as tough as what you feared. I also found that when I had to go to any social function, it wasn't hard to find another me.... the one who was an a--hole. I was amazed that most people weren't as loaded as I was, and that most had a good time without being pissed. AND, most didn't even notice that I didn't drink! What pressure I put on myself, and what a relief to know that I wouldn't be singled out as the one who "didn't drink"... Good Luck...keep in touch!

Comment

Working...
                              X