Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IS IT OK FOR ME TO JUST STOP DRINKING?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi everyone
    ok so I need a little advice here. I CANNOT go and see my doctor as I am currently undergoing a medical assessment for a job. I have searched the internet for a private doctor near me and I can't find one (we live in a quiet town and the nearest city does not even have a private doctor!!!). My alcohol intake over the past two weeks has been around 1-2 bottles of wine every night. I was sure I was going to start AF last night and was surfing the net seeing what vitamins etc I should take when I came across a website regarding alcohol withdrawal. It says that it is dangerous to JUST STOP taking alcohol as you could end up with the DTs 48 hours after stopping. This in itself scared me so much. I don't know what to do. I rang an alcohol helpline and they told me to gradually reduce my intake by 10% each night. Thing is I DON'T want to drink one more drop. Last night I had half a bottle of wine but didn't enjoy it and drank out of pure fear. Can anyone tell me of their own experiences of just stopping and how they got on? Did you wean yourself off it? Were you really ill? How much did you drink before you stopped? A little help would be great. Thanks guys XXXSeto

Oh forgot to add - I have been experiencing on half asleep awakening spiders crawling up walls which I have been told are hallucinations. Crazy but true!! XXSeto

Comment

Do the hallucinations happen whilst drinking or while you attempt to sober up. There are a lot of scare stories regards AL withdrawl. Generally dangerous withdrawls happen if and when you have been drinking a lot over an extended period of time. If you managed an evening with just half a bottle of wine that doesn't sound that bad to me. Whatever you do don't use the what you read as an excuse to delay stopping. Do you shake in the morning?

Sedatives can make the whole process much easier but do also make everyday life difficult since they can make you drowsy. I was given valium by my Dr some years back and I had to go home from work they made me feel so woozy.

At the end of the day if you don't stop then surely your new employer is going to notice - so it's not worth it.

After my last binge I went through sickness, sweats, hearing noises, aching joints then straight into tonsilitis! So, cut back but if you don't get terrible symptoms you may be able to do it alone - if you start feeling really unwell then yes, get to the Drs asap.

Comment

hi seto not so good idea to come of to quikly stroke heart attack seisures opps death im bein honest dolph is rt see a doctor its yur nervous system tellin you slow down they use valium and other drugs like it to ween you down been there many times the drugs are worse when you come off you shake like a leaf but theyll slowly gt you off them and youll soon be back to normal all keep writin if you want or go to talk and all talk with you im up anyways been in and out of the hospital for years all go to chat if you want it wood be nc to meet u and dolph up to you gyco all be waitin

Comment

Meant to add - my last binge was a straight 48hours - 3 x 750ml bottles of 37.5% Vodka. Heck, just worked out the units. There may have been some left in one of the bottles but thats 80 from 6pm Friday to 6pm Sunday.

Comment

we can stay here hahaha

Comment

my last stint was at a sanitarium it was intrestin toook a yung guy out aftr 4 days he got xamine d and had a brain tumor he was a druggie can get pretty scary

Comment

Thanks for the replies. The spider hallucinations are always when after sleeping and your just waking up. I'm always certain they are there and have even tried to squash them!!They disappear after I have fully woken. Its obviously after drinking as I've been drinking for the past 3-4 years almost every night. I did have a period of 4 weeks AF in May 2008 and I was fine, don't recall seeing spiders then and I didn't go through withdrawal, BUT I did cut down my drinking prior to stopping. I also take the diet drug Xenical - I know there has been a link with the spider thing there, so not sure!! Today I feel fine. I have never suffered from shakes, I do sweat more (YUK I KNOW) but not too much. I did wake up sweating last night but was ok with it. Other than that I am eating fine and have more energy from not drinking too much. I am certain that I DON'T want to drink but am scared that if I do just stop I'll feel ok then go mental with the DTs after 2 days. I have never drank more than the 2 bottles (that in itself is loads though - who am I trying to kid eh!). So that's 18 units per night approximately, so I guess I am down as a heavy drinker. Gosh never really worked that one out until now. thats over a 100 units per weekd XXXSeto

Comment

Sorry Gyco
                  Should have said, got 2 little ones with me at the mo and my youngest who is 8 months has just vomited all over - bless her!! Chat isn't an option at the mo as you would be waiting for my reply for ages!!! Keep posting please though your advice and experience is invaluable to me. XXXSeto

Comment

way to go seto we* dont usuall take as* much concern as* u* do and* good luck to you trust me* i could* tell you stories i hope everyone helped* gyco

Comment

have a good day latr

Comment

I've been amazed here at the high-volume drinkers who have stopped drinking, and then just the manageable side effects like you have described. I'm not necessarily advocating that sudden stop, but I also know how very difficult it can be for many of us to stop drinking once the bottle is open. We don't even know where it went, but we do...

I was more of a binge drinker, who would go several days without drinking before consuming another bottle or more of wine...
                        Too much, too offen, too many hangovers, etc. etc.
                        My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Seto, you mentioned that you have a couple of little ones, therefore I assume that you are quite young.

I think that you should just quit if you can. I have been drinking for 20 plus years and hard liquor at that. I quit beginning of June and have never looked back. My blood pressure is almost normal now, my alcohol induced peripheral neuropathy is so much better and I sleep like a log. I think that the dangers of drinking far outweigh the dangers of quitting, but hey, I'm not a Dr. and we are all different.
                          I wish you all the best on your journey.
                          Lori
                          *Definition of Insanity: doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result* Albert Einstein

Comment

SETO, YES IT'S OK TO STOP DRINKING:" CAUSE THE TEACHER SAID SOOO! HA!"
                            ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
                            those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
                            Dr. Seuss

Comment

Hi Seto - I had been drinking for 35 years - every night. Gradually working my way up to 2

bottles a night. When I stopped at the end of May, I was also very concerned about

withdrawal. I got valium from the Dr and can honestly say that apart from the

shakes ,some pretty wierd dreams, (no spiders though !) and a headache - I was over it in

3 days.

Mx

Comment

Working...
                              X