Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Relationship

Hi All,

I need your advice. I got a question to ask you, did alcohol ever ruin your relationship with your love one, family or friend? If yes, then how did you overcome it?

Relationship

Hi Suez,
    Alcohol ruined my relationship with my father because of HIS drinking. It never recovered as he died before we could make amends. I wish things could have been different but the sad truth is that al ruins lives. Don't let it ruin yours. I am trying to stop it ruining mine even more.
    Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
    Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

Relationship

suez2225

You are a visiting firecracker read my last post on the firecrackers thread - i am too emotionally drained to say anything else:l:h

xxxxxxxxxxx Sweetpea
      :flower: Keep strong and focused things do get better and you will find your happy :h

Comment

Relationship

MANY relationships have either ended or become very tarnished directly as a result of my drinking...

Pretty sad, eh?

If that were the ONLY reason to quit drinking, it would be good enough!

I really hope they have people talking to teenagers about stuff like that. They tell them about drunk driving (bad enough!), but they need to tell them about how your life can be ruined in so many other ways. And how you may get to a point where you choose AL over love.

And if that ain't sad, I don't know what IS.
        Sometimes you have to take the leap and build your wings on the way down... Anais Nin

Comment

Relationship

Yeah One Two I surely do relate... how weird to have hated the alcohol that our parents were ruining their (and our) lives with, and then turning around and doing the same damn thing. It is a common thing... but still so very weird.

You see, Suezz, what those posts above are saying is totally true: alcohol ruins relationships. My drinking over many years has damaged or destroyed plenty of relationships. And not until I am/was sufficiently devastated by loss/losses do I find the motivation to STOP that craziness and GET a real, authentic life...

best wishes,

wip

Comment

Relationship

I lost a couple friendships because of AL., and because I was so drunk...I never knew why.

Comment

Relationship

Hi Hun.
              Drink hasn't YET ruined my relationship but it has taken a beaten. Luckily, my husband has stood by me but not many men would have. This is one of the reasons i'm given up drinking.
              I came clean about everything to my husband and he says he can't trust me as i hide bottles and drink and he now makes me go to my mums if he's working late as he doesn't trust i'll stay sober.
              The way i'm working on this is by developing his trust again. I'm not drinking and he's so proud. I have my screw ups but we've sat down and spoken about it. I even write a daily diary of how i feel about everything which he reads so he can see what's going on when he's not around.
              That's how i'm dealing with the situation. It is really sad but i did this myself :upset: and this is how i'm building it up again.

Comment

Relationship

Dear All,

Thank you for your posts, it really help me to face the problem that I had made for myself. I think all I can do is try my best to get back my relationship that I had ruin, maybe it takes years for that, but I will never give up. And even if I can't get back the relationship i had ruin, I will never want to ruin other good relationship I had now with whoever love me, especially with my daughter.

It's really great that I found this site and got all your support here. Thank you so much...

PS:I hope you still want to share your stories here with me and don't let this thread just end here...:h

Comment

Relationship

Hey Suez,

I know now that my drinking and my ex husband's collectively ruined our marriage of 15 years. Now I am struggling to quit so that it doesn't ruin my relationship with my current wonderful bf and my kids. One would think that realizing AL played a big role in destroying a marriage it would be easy, but alas it is not. I pick fights and am not very nice when I'm drunk...I don't want to be that person. I hope I can nip it in the bud for good this time. Best wishes to you.

Pepper 1 day AF today
                  Pepper

Comment

Relationship

One2 some how I think you are gonna be the best mum there ever was what a lovely soul you are...... your kids are gonna be like there DA and MA wonderful little humans and muck up terrors HAAAAAAAA
                    Love always cap

Comment

Relationship

I have ruined many friendships because I was drunk - sad thing is I don't even remember what I did.......

Suez, I think that your being here and trying to not ruin anymore is great - many of us are here for the same reasons. The support systems we have all gotten from this site are amazing. Good luck to you hun.
                      Every day is a day to start over and remember that I am powerless over my addiction. I will no longer give the BEAST any power over me - he can go straight to hell.
                      :h

Comment

Relationship

Suez,

AL nearly destroyed my marriage and it was all so stupid. I could not walk away from my nightly binge, and my loyal husband who had encouraged me, suffered through me, and prayed for me, eventually distanced himself emotionally just to maintain his own sanity. I finally got off my (here's that new favorite word again!) arse, saw my Dr. and started on Campral. That worked for awhile, but then the old habits started coming back. Husband had nearly given up, and I found MWO. It has been the best 30 days of our nearly 27-year marriage. By being able to talk to others here who truly understand the lure of the drink and who share the ups and occasional downs of reaching for sobriety has been a blessing. I've shared with him some funny stories, and love to tell him about my S. Africa, Brit, Irish, Aussie and Scottish "friends" who I talk with almost daily.

I'm sorry this is so "all about me," just wanted to give you some hope that if you've let booze get between you and a person you love, it's not to late to start making amends. I can't take away the hurt I've caused, but I can sure be a better mate going forward. And maybe, if I'm extremely lucky, I'll help someone else who's struggling like the rest of us.

V.

p.s. I know I'm still in the early days of this - don't have the wisdom of Cindi or Chief - and am not claiming victory just yet. But every day sober has just been such a gift.

Comment

Relationship

My best friend and former partner gets back from Iraq in 9 weeks. The last time he was here we got blitzed together and then vanished for the rest of his leave. I just spoke to him last week and he explained that he had stayed drunk his whole time back and had done some things he was ashamed of and thats why he never called me the rest of his visit. He told me that when he returns in 9 weeks he will never drink again. Thats one small reason in the big collection of reasons I am quitting.

Comment

Working...
                          X