Party Pooper problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Party Pooper problem

Does anyone have any advice on how to handle the fact that you'll be seen as a "party pooper" if you don't want to join in the drinking frenzy at a cottage. My SIL and I always get pretty wasted when we're together at the cottage.... seems to be part of life at the cottage. I'm going up for the first time in 2 years, and am taking my AF wine and AF beer, but also a supply of real wine, because I know I'll want some with her, just not as much as usual. I'm afraid she'll not want to have me back if I don't .... I don't want to come off as "holier than thou" ... I'll do everything to avoid that impression, but afraid that's how she might see it. .... or I just won't be as Any advice, strategies would be welcome.

Party Pooper problem

I think if you go in with the right attitude it will all be fine. I don't know if you want to be honest and say you are cutting back because you are seeing your drinking turning into a problem, or you can say you are just trying to get healthier. You won't be a party pooper. Focus on all of the positives of not drinking. Enjoy your time!
    I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

Party Pooper problem

Pretend to be sick at your stomach. Dont preach or anything just act mildly sick and go to the bathroom a few times to many. The fish you had yesterday must be messing with you.

Comment

Party Pooper problem

I always remember the "I'm on antibiotics" trick...
        "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Party Pooper problem

i think honesty is the best policy. she's family. if u don't want to be holier than thou.. then don't be.
          just be straight and say 'i'm off the juice for bit ... but that doesn't mean you have to be too!"
          just be cool and leave it at that.. it'll be fine i'd say!
          you don't have to reform the world... just worry about u!

Comment

Party Pooper problem

Thanks all --- you're right .. honesty is the best policy.... she knows I've been concerned about what drinking has done to my health .... but other than weight gain, I've been fine ... I just don't want to push the envelope. She's also been concerned about whether her drinking has caused any problems, and has had liver tested and results fine, so she continues to drink. I hope, rather than reject my attempt, she might join me soon. This will probably lead to some good discussion this weekend anyway. :thanks:

Comment

Party Pooper problem

You sound close to her, and being honest would be best, personally. And since she is beginning to worry as well, you might just end up drinking the AF Wine and Beer and start together. It's okay these days to say "No thanks, I don't drink anymore, I'm focusing on my health"

Comment

Party Pooper problem

Mention this website. Hell it inspired me.

Comment

Party Pooper problem

why even worry about what people say or think ..and why act sick when you are not just tell them the truth that you are taking a break from al and that all.. why go more then you have to be proud of what you are doing for yourself .. and enjoy your new life af
                  :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
                  best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

Working...
                  X