Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Allen Carr stuff

Hello Everyone, Damo here.
    Have been on this site for quite a while but havent posted too often (sorry).
    Have really enjoyed reading your posts, they have made laugh and cry.
    Cant believe how many stories are similar to mine. My father is a chronic alcoholic and I felt I was heading that way.
    Reading through this site and your wonderful posts has really helped me cut down my intake of booze, but on occasions went back to my old ways.
    A lot of my drinking is done in secret, I have so many ways of hiding it.
    eg. When going to the pub, always sit out of sight of the bar, so when going up to get a beer for myself and my wife, can always sneak a quick half in (how pathetic I must look).
    Go out for a take away, order and slip away for a quick beer while waiting (tell the wife it was very busy and might get 2 in )
    Go back to the office in the evening (as I am sooooo busy) , a 6 pack on the way, stay there til late, return home when my wife is in bed. Score !!!
    etc,etc, I have so many more ways if anyone wants them :H

Anyway, moderation was not working for me, but unfortunately couldnt order book, meds etc as it would come up on credit card bill (joint acc) and really didnt want my wife to know how bad my drinking had got ( I really was hiding it well , who was I kidding ).

I am 17 days sober and confident I can stay that way for the rest of my life (really)
    How did I do it ?????

This site and ALLEN CARR (r.i.p).
    He helped me quit the cigarettes 6 yrs ago and I stumbled across his book about 3 months ago. I havent been on here much as I have been reading his book in secret for the last while. Its called "Allen Carrs easyway to control alcohol" and would highly recommend it for both the booze and the fags.
    (my wife,who I adore thinks I am just off the booze as I running a marathon in october).

Anyway, enough from me, I hope to be on here more often as I have so much more time on my hands these days. Has Allen Carr helped anyone else here ?

Thanks for listening, bye.:thanks:

Allen Carr stuff

Helped me I love his book in conjunction with this MWO program in RJ's book both on the bedside table for quick reference ALWAYS.
    cap

Comment

Allen Carr stuff

Hi Damo and welcome. Congratulations on your 17 days you must be very proud. Thanks for the Allen Carr information. I think I will get the book.
      SO.
      Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
      Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

Allen Carr stuff

Hi Damo,

Good to hear you are doing well AF - 17 days is brilliant.
        The most I have managed so far is 14 days. I have been AF for a week now but I do intend on having a few drinks over the next week or so because of holidays. I will then be gearing up for a 30 day AF stint starting September 1st - there are a good few of us here that are going to try. I ultimately hope to moderate but I know I need to be off the Al for awhile before even thinking about it.

Anyway - I'll stop talking about myself now and get to the point!. Allen Carr helped me quit smoking years back but I have not read his book on drinking. I have heard some good reviews about it although they do say it is geared more to giving up booze for life more so than attempting to moderate. I know Maggymay, another Irish member here, was reading it recently and she was finding it helpful. I will give it a go - will look for it when on holidays next week - my hubby already knows I want to drastically cut down my AL intake (wine for me) as does he (generally beer for him) so he won't think it's weird holiday reading! and if this feckin' rain keeps up I'll need something to be doing!

Continued success to you.
        :h
        Bandit
        There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning.

Comment

Allen Carr stuff

Hi DAMO...I LOVE that book. I read it and read it over and over. Although it hasn't gotten me where I want to be...it is written so cleverly and it makes so much sense. I love the analogy of the pitcher plant.

Congrats on 17 days sober!! That is awesome. I am the spouse of a secretive/hiding alcoholic somewhat as you describe your relationship with your wife. Don't be fooled to think we don't know more about you than you think we do. I am so glad you have found your way to sobriety, because if your wife ever found out about the sneaking and hiding, if she is anything like me, she would be extremely dissapointed. I think the only one's we really fool when we sneak and hide are ourselves.

Thanks for sharing your story.

R2C
          Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. --Confucius
          :h

Comment

Allen Carr stuff

awesome job on 17 days af keep up the good work
            :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
            best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

Allen Carr stuff

DAMO, huge congrats on your 17 days!!!

How I wish the book had worked as well for me as it has for you.... would've saved me a year of drinking misery! It was kinda like most of the other things that I tried in that I would get really excited about it, stick with it and be going great, and then all of a sudden think I have it beat and end up right back where I started. Then of course I would take my drinking even further to drown out my own personal humiliation at failing yet again.....

I too hid (or at least thought I did) my drinking from my family. By far THE WORST part about that was the phone call at work the next day after a binge. I couldn't remember all that I had done and didn't know if my wife had discovered my stash...... So it was panic time until I could interpret those first words out of her mouth....was it going to be a good day?..... or had she found me out?........ time after time after time......

What a way to live, huh? I didn't get and stay sober until I was completely honest with her, and more importantly myself. You've got a tremendous start going, so keep doing the things you need to do to maintain your sobriety and don't take it for granted like I used to.

Glad you're here!
              Sobriety Date: June 15, 2007 -- "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got...."

Comment

Allen Carr stuff

Hi Damo--

I still remember 25 years ago when I was married to an alcoholic--the lies and deception were what hurt me the most--not just the drinking. I felt terrible when I didn't believe what he told me, I thought I was a terrible wife for not trusting him. I started thinking I was the crazy one--until he told me right to my face that he had not been drinking and he could hardly talk or stand up. He had started drinking vodka by then, and he didn't think I could smell it.

Anyway--I loved Allen Carr's How to Quit Smoking book--as a matter of fact I just loaned it to a friend this morning. As far as "My Way Out" I got mine from Amazon.com. The stuff I ordered here showed up on my Credit card as "Capelo" pretty discreet.

:welcome:
                The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

Allen Carr stuff

Hi Damo,

Am also interested in the book - and it sounds like it comes in 2 versions, control and stop. I think the more we read and learn the greater our prospects of bringing the demon al under control. I echo some thoughts hinted here that while we all had hid to one extent or another our drinking from our spouse, that kind of dishonesty does not a healthy relationship make. While no one wants to totally spill and disclose the extent of our problem, they (the spouse) are probably quite aware that one exists. My husband was more than happy to learn I was doing something positive about it and became a partner in my sobriety goals. Comes in very handy when you need to go off quietly for a while and listen to the cd's. Or dinner is late because you needed to be online with your MWO family. Knowing you're ready to take the challenge may just be music to her ears.

Thanks for the post. By the way, has anyone heard from Maggymay? She was reading Allen Carr's book, but haven't heard from her (or I'm just on the wrong thread!).

V.

Comment

Allen Carr stuff

Hi Damo,
                    Congrats on the 17 sober days.......long may it continue.

I`ve never read Carr`s book on drinking. However, I have read his quitting smoking one.......I was very excited about it, prior to reading it........I believed the book would put an end to my smoking, only........it didn`t.

I found Carr`s style and tone just far too condescending to render him credible in my head..........I mean........the man all but implies we are ever so stupid for smoking.......Hmmmm.......I already knew THAT, so I`m afraid Carr was a bummer for me.

I just believe in "each to their own"........Carr`s approach has worked for millions......unfortunately, I wasn`t one of them. (says she, as she heads off to light yet another fag.......shame on me!!! LMAO)

Darling x
                    Formerly known as Starlight Impress.

Comment

Allen Carr stuff

I am an ENORMOUS fan of Allan Carr's drinking book! It didn't make me stop but it really dramatically changed my thinking about drinking.

Comment

Allen Carr stuff

Many thanks for your kind words,very much appreciated, I understand Allen Carrs Easyay may not work for everyone, his smoking book only worked for me for 18 months abd then I went back on the fags after an accident, bu then went to one of his seminars along with my wife and sister and we are all off them 6 years next monthh.
                        I have tried so many times to cut down and quit but never lasted more than 2 wks.

I realise i might sound cocky saying I am confident I can stay sober for life, but thats what the book has done for me, I DO realise 17 days isnt a a long time, but it has been a GREAT 17 days. I am going to buy RJs book also now just for additional tuition on the beating of the booze.

Thanks again for your kind words,
                        Bye for now
                        Damo. x:thanks:

Comment

Allen Carr stuff

You're new so you haven't seen my endless posts and threads in tribute to Alan Carr!

I can see how the book could work in drinking though it seems Carr has had more success with smoking. You can tell by reading experiences here on the website that the right mental attitude is a big part of recovery. By changing the way people think about alcohol--in terms of dispeling myths-- I think Carr does a lot. Not sure this would apply to those who have an addiction so bad they get DTs and other physicial withdrawal symptoms.

I also love the Pitcher Plant analogy and think it makes a lot of sense. I also like the way he points out that years ago, when smoking was really common, if people had to quit their friends would feel sorry for them cuz they could not have a cigarrette. Boy have times changed! But our society still tells us alcohol has to be part of every celebration.

I also like the way he points out this myth that we have to have a particular substance to do basic activities, such easy things. This I know is true with smoking and also with alcohol.

Comment

Allen Carr stuff

The Allan Carr book How to Quit Drinking definitely helped strengthen my resolve when I quit in January. I ordered his book and MWO from Amazon.com. Someone here on another post said Carr's two drinking books are pretty much the same.
                            My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Working...
                            X