Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm back

Hi everyone!

I joined MWO a while ago and was very excited to find such a supportive space, but eventually drifted off of the site and back into bad habits. I had not read the book, was not taking the supps, and was simply relying on the forums to keep me on track - which was not very clever, and of course, didn't work.

Also, at the time, I had not spoken to anyone about visiting this forum and about my feelings about my excessive drinking, so it was easy for me to just stop visiting here and continue drinking.

What I've done differently this time around is that I have read the book and bought the supplements. But MOST importantly, I have had several really good and honest talks with my boyfriend (with whom I live), and we have both committed to helping eachother. Although my main addiction is alcohol, his is smoking weed. I smoked with him, but it was something I could easily do without. He drank with me, but wasn't that hung up on alcohol. So now we've both stopped drinking AND smoking, and I am so happy to have spoken to him honestly about my addiction. Our hope is that we will be able to help eachother through what is going to be a hard time. But we are both committed.

So I wanted to say a big HELLO to everyone out there. This time around, I am not hiding my problems from those nearest and dearest to me, but am rather leaning on them for support. And I'll need to lean on you too, if you'll let me.
    Look forward to chatting to you guys again.

I'm back

great 1st step hermit,knowing you were gtting out of control,and you must have a wonderful partner,the test come s when you think all is won,good luck to you both,another sugggetion is to look at some of the stories or horror stories some have written,or if i may suggest go on lineAA,not tht your one,but just listen,it mite help gyco

Comment

I'm back

What great news!!!
      Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; He's the one who will keep you on track. Proverbs 3:6 The Message

Comment

I'm back

That's fantastic, Hermit! You are definitely on the right track... stick around!

wip

Comment

I'm back

Hi Hermit!

Getting the boyfriend on side is probably one of the best things you could of done. I don't see how anyone can not include their partners in something so serious as dealing with an addiction. Great move and I wish you both well with your goals.

Love and Happiness
          Hippie
          xx
          "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
          Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Comment

I'm back

Hi Hermit and welcome back.
            You mention the word honesty, that is one of the big stepping stones to beating the booze. Its not about being honest with other people so much as being honest with yourself. It means no more looking for reasons to drink, because as I found out, there are NO reasons to drink, only excuses. With the help of your partner, family and the people here at MWO you are in the centre of a strong circle of love.
            I wish you luck,
            Louise.
            A F F L..
            Alcohol Free For Life

Comment

I'm back

one2many;375820 wrote: What you have just said has cut a chord with me Hipps, I have told my hubby that I am on a non smoking website, I think it may be time to come clean and tell the truth, I need all the help I can get.
              DO IT me lickle Irish Leprechaun!! What have you got to lose? I think also that you make yourself accountable to someone other than yourself which helps a great deal. Plus, what start out as meaningless little white lies could be quite hurtful to a partner who doesn't know the truth. Believe me I only did this recently and I upset someone I really love with my 'little white lies'.

Love and Happiness
              Hippie
              xx
              "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
              Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Comment

I'm back

Thanks for all the messages guys. I've missed the support on this site!

One2many - I agree that you should tell your man. What I did was to explain to my boyfriend about this site - and about the new theories and treatments relating to alcoholism. I also explained that it is my long term goal to moderate, but that as of yet I don't know whether I will be able to. So he understands that I am not promising to abstain forever - but that I am just trying to get control. So he will not chastise me if I have one drink (which I am not planning to do, but you never know), but understands rather that I am trying to gain control in the long term.

Comment

I'm back

Hi Hermit,
                  I'm new here, but it's good to read your posts. Welcome back. Also great news about your partner. My hubby knows what I'm trying to do but isn't ready to commit himself to it, yet. I wish you both the best.

o2m--I'll be thinking of you today! Best to all, Alley

Comment

I'm back

Hi Hermit- Great job. I think you are off in the right direction!!
                    The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

I'm back

Hey Hermit

I'm also newly back. My partner drinks too ( not as much but problematic too) and is not interested in stopping although VERY supportive and more so when I AM AF.

I look forward to sharing your progress, good luck.
                      Full is not nearly as heavy as empty, my love...
                      Not nearly. -Fiona Apple-

Comment

Working...
                      X