Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tylnol PM or a Shot

Hey all,

Bad morning and a little angry. Why is it wrong to have a screwdriver to relieve pain as opposed to tylonal or any other brand. The pain killer in these pills are worse for our liver than a shot of vodka.

Tylnol PM or a Shot

Sorry, that can't possibly be a serious question???

wip

Comment

Tylnol PM or a Shot

Because one shot likely leads to two, which leads us here....
      You, as much as anyone in the universe, deserve your love and respect. ~ Buddha

Comment

Tylnol PM or a Shot

Don't mean to offend, but that sounds like an excuse to have a drink as opposed to asking a reasonable question that you already know the answer to.

As river said, one is never enough, but if you can stop at one shot of vodka (before Noon) then more power to you.......
        Sobriety Date: June 15, 2007 -- "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got...."

Comment

Tylnol PM or a Shot

I can think of many reasons it is wrong to have a shot or screwdriver at 7am. Pain relievers harm your liver when mixed with alcohol. Try some ibu and a large glass of water.

Comment

Tylnol PM or a Shot

Your are right, Tylenol is not good for your liver. In fact it is advised to not even use it for your hang over, hence, taxing your liver further.

Ibuprophen, hot/cold packs (not sure what sort of pain we are talking here), or talk to your doctor about a prescription that doesn't contain acetominaphin.

Milk Thistle helps your liver, also, if you have a concern about its health.

I have seen many people attempt to self medicate with alcohol for pain...chronic or otherwise...it really is a slippery slope.
            Striving to live life without ALCOHOL

Comment

Tylnol PM or a Shot

Definitely Ibuprophin. If you have been drinking heavily, you can accidentally nuke your liver with just a single acetaminophen (Tylenol) pill. Some estimate this is the highest cause of liver failure in the US today.

The problem is, when you drink a lot, you body sometimes fails to fully metabolize the alcohol. A mid-enzyme called acetaldehyde is created and not properly broken down. When acetaminophen and acetaldyde mix in your liver, the results are toxic to the liver. So the greatest danger from Tylenol is not as you drink in the evening, but as you try to recover in the morning, at a time when your body is full of partially metabolized alcohol by-products.

Watch ingredients on all pain pills carefully, as many cold pills contain acetaminophen. What you want are Motrin, Aspirin, or the generic ingredient ibuprophin. These are all nsaids which can cause ulcers and thin the blood, but don't carry the extra burden of destroying your liver.

Postgraduate Medicine: Alcohol-acetaminophen syndrome

Comment

Tylnol PM or a Shot

Boss.man,
                Thanks for the heads up. I knew something about pain releivers but I never looked into it to see which one was the bad one. I have a way of keeping "my head in the sand" so to speak. I will make sure never to have another Tylenol again. Actually, i believe we have Ibuprofen in our medicine cabinet right now. Good scientific information and very scary at the same time. It sounds like you are doing much better after just a few days. Keep up the good work! Kriger
                "People usually fail when they are on the verge of success. So give as much care to the end as to the beginning." Lao-Tzu

Comment

Tylnol PM or a Shot

Luna,
                  I'm sorry to hear you are having a bed morning. Keep posting and maybe go in Chat to help nget out of this "dip" you are in. Remember, everyone here is in your corner, You can feel better- it's not easy to get there, but I have no doubts you can do it! Kriger
                  "People usually fail when they are on the verge of success. So give as much care to the end as to the beginning." Lao-Tzu

Comment

Tylnol PM or a Shot

Sorry about the post

Hi everybody,

Sorry about this morinings rant. Stupid I know, excuse to have a drink? Yes. But it is true tylonal is horrible for your liver, and if you are a heavy drinker it can be fatal. So with all the advice I would not have this problem if I woke up sobber. I know what I have to do but it's just so hard. It didn't used to be this hard. I guess age, lack of ambition, apathy, it's just a mindset I need to change and everything else will go with it. Be strong thanks for the support, i'll be posting more later.

:thanks:

Comment

Tylnol PM or a Shot

I agree that tylenol (if taken to excess) can be bad for liver... so take Advil PM! Think you know that AL isn't good for your liver...!!

Have some OJ with a twist of lemon or lime & make it special.

(Wondering why you're taking PM when it's morning...?)
                      Sometimes you have to take the leap and build your wings on the way down... Anais Nin

Comment

Tylnol PM or a Shot

Luna, Welcome,

I know what would make you feel a whole lot better! Go up to 10,000 waves a soak in the tub up there! Then follow up with a massage! OK....now you've really done it! I want to get in my care a drive to Sante Fe!

All kidding aside, you have all of the info on the drugs and alcohol. The feelings you are describing is exactly how I felt while drinking, apathy, depression, lack of ambition etc etc. on top of that, we feel 100 years old, and often look it too. Glad you are here....stick around....you just might learn how to change your life!
                        A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

Working...
                        X